Thread poster: Jackie Doble

Jackie Doble  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:03
Member (2011)
French to English
Aug 29, 2013

Hi,

I have installed Studio 2011 on my mac via VMWare Fusion. Up till all has worked well (for about 8 months) but now I updated Windows, and since then I can't open Trados, it says there are problems with memory, that the plugins are cancelled and several other messages (Exception from Hresult..) and says that I have to close the programme.

Has anyone had this problem?
Should I add memory to my mac?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Magdalena Balibrea Vich  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
About VMWare Aug 29, 2013

Hi Jackie,

I also use Trados on a Mac via VMWare but I don't think your issue it's due to lack of memory. I guess Windows Update messed up with some Trados files instead.
I'd advise you to run the Trados installer and see if you can solve it from there. Just adding RAM won't fix it.

Good luck!
Maggie

France
Member (2011)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
it looks like it's the memory Oct 14, 2013

Hi Magdelena,

I have been doing a lot of investigations and it seems it might well be the memory : Trados help line have said that you need 2 GB of memory to run Studio properly, and I have only assigned 1.2 GB. Also lots of computer experts I spoke with tend to agree.

The problem has also become clearer - it's only if I start Studio/VMWare after I have already been working on my computer for a while that there is a problem. If I restart my computer then immediately go into Studio, it's fine. The experts say that that is symptomatic of a memory problem.

Perhaps you have a desk top mac? whereas I have a MacBook Pro..

Thanks any way for your contribution

Jackie

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:03
Finnish to French
RAM Oct 14, 2013

Jackie Doble wrote:
Should I add memory to my mac?

How old is your MacBook Pro and how much RAM is currently installed? If it's relatively recent (less than 2-3 years old) and if you only have 4 GB of RAM, it would definitely make sense to add more RAM. RAM is cheap, as long as you don't buy it from Apple And there's no reason to buy it from Apple, as it's not made by them anyway. Virtualization software just loves RAM.

France
Member (2011)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
2 years old Oct 14, 2013

My MacBook Pro is only 2 years old, and I only have 4 GB of RAM, so I guess it's that!
I have already accepted a quote of 180 euros from an APPLE service company for adding RAM !!! Oh dear!

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:03
Finnish to French
Too bad! Oct 14, 2013

Jackie Doble wrote:
My MacBook Pro is only 2 years old, and I only have 4 GB of RAM, so I guess it's that!
I have already accepted a quote of 180 euros from an APPLE service company for adding RAM !!! Oh dear!

Listen to what this guy (TLDtoday, well-known YouTuber who focuses on Apple products) says in the following video, from 0:45 to 0:55

The video is about upgrading RAM on an iMac, but it applies just the same to the MacBook Pro.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with VMWare fusion and Trados - memory problem

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search