How can I import a .EXP translation memory?
Thread poster: Lorenzo Bermejo

Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 17:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 31, 2013

hi there,

I have an exported TM from old IBM Translation Manager, with the suffix .EXP.

I remember that Trados 7 could import files with this suffix, but it seems that Workbench from SDL Trados 7 Freelance Suite lacks this ability.
Studio 2011 won't import my .EXP file either.

does anyone know how I can produce a .TMX or a Trados 7 translation memory from my .EXP file?

many thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Lorenzo Aug 31, 2013

.EXP files can be opened in XBench, and you can export them as TMX.

Natalia

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
another solution Aug 31, 2013

thanks Natalie! I haven't tried your solution, as in the meantime, before you answered my post, I had found another possible workaround, as follows:

good old IBM Translation Manager didn't even run on Win XP, but it finally went open source, and it's latest devolpment, from 2011, is called OpenTM2 0.9.5. you can freely download it from the internet.

once you've installed it, you should import your .EXP file, of course... but it's not so easy, as OpenTM2 lacks the markup table file necessary to import .EXP files made up of Word or Powerpoint files.

I needed a markup table for Word files and succeeded in exporting from within OpenTM2, and modifying, the one intented for RTF files.

I imported back then my markup table for Word, and also succesfully imported my .EXP file.

last step, I exported the TM within OpenTM2, that I had created with my .EXP file, to TMX UTF-8.

(the TM was Es to En and the accents in Es appeared fine.)
thanks anyway Natalie, I'll try your workaround next time, it looks easier!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I import a .EXP translation memory?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search