Error with converting fields back to MSWord!
Thread poster: uwemeyer

uwemeyer  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 05:45
Swedish to German
+ ...
Aug 31, 2013

What to do? Can't get out the targettext from Trados Studio!

How to finf the problem?
Possible to download in parts?

Thank you!

um-translation

Direct link Reply with quote

Simon Chiassai  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Please specify Aug 31, 2013

Could you specify what version of the soft you are using, and any error message that appears?
Can you save target, but the document is empty, or does the saving fail?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Missing tags Aug 31, 2013

You are probably missing some tags or they are in the wrong place in your target segments. Run F8 (verify) to see where the problem is.

More details here:
http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4602#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4602

and here:
http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/studio-steps-making-sure-you-can-save-the-target-file/

HTH,
Emma

uwemeyer  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error with converting fields back to MSWord! Aug 31, 2013

Now I can get out a target text but ... only 150 of 300 pages are target pages from page 150 ... there is just source text ???
Trados studio 2011.
Heeeeelp ... going crazy!!!

Simon Chiassai  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
retranslate Aug 31, 2013

If it is such a large file it can be that Studio is struggling to handle it.

You could split your source file in half (copy pages 150-300 into a new Word document), import it into trados and retranslate it using a TM composed of your complete project.

I hope this makes sense.

xxxowhisonant  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Try this... Sep 2, 2013

uwemeyer wrote:

Now I can get out a target text but ... only 150 of 300 pages are target pages from page 150 ... there is just source text ???
Trados studio 2011.
Heeeeelp ... going crazy!!!

.. I recently had a Word file that I imported into Trados, translated completely, marked everything as translated, but was unable to generate a complete target Word file. The last app. 50% always remained in the source language. This was very annoying, needless to say, and I had to workaround by:

-Producing a 'fresh' source file,
-Adding the new source file to the project
-Pre-translating using the TM that I had previously created in the course of translation. This was 85% effective, some manual editing required, mainly due to different line/segment breaks.
-Saving, then generating a new target file...

That worked for me. As someone else has suggested, you may also try to reduce the file size by creating two or three fresh source files, then following the procedure as above.

In case someone from SDL is monitoring these threads: Seems to be like these aren't just isolated problems. Can't wait to see what Studio 2014 brings to the table in terms of bugfixes!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Happy to look at the problem files... Sep 2, 2013

owhisonant wrote:

In case someone from SDL is monitoring these threads: Seems to be like these aren't just isolated problems. Can't wait to see what Studio 2014 brings to the table in terms of bugfixes!

... as these cases are not always bugs in the software. If they can be shared please feel free to send them to me.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

xxxowhisonant  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Files can't be shared Sep 3, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

owhisonant wrote:

... as these cases are not always bugs in the software. If they can be shared please feel free to send them to me.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

NDA and all that, otherwise would be more than happy to have you guys take a look. I know Word files can get funky. Does SDL have some kind of list of known problems, things that one could avoid prior to importing a file into Trados?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error with converting fields back to MSWord!

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search