Part of project arrives at customer's side as not translated
Thread poster: Sabine Wanner

Sabine Wanner
Germany
Local time: 09:35
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Sep 2, 2013

Hi, sorry for poor layout - I am on my mobile.
A couple of weeks ago I received a translation in prepared packages to be done in Trados. I am using SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance (well if I cannot work with my favourite tool). Then I received packages with "missing texts" and that got fairly annoying since I was sure that they were intregrations by the customer and they wanted them for free. Now I haven't been online for some days and get another message with "missing texts". I sent a fairly angry note back, because all was and is finished on my side, but after a short discussion I was told that parts of the files I sent back were not translated. Files are checked twice before re-sending and on my side all results 100% translated.
When translating the packages with the "missing" parts, they are partly not in the TM and partly 100% matches. Now what I would like to understand is:
1) did someone else experience similar problems?
2) is such a behaviour possible?
Kind regards,
Sabine


Direct link Reply with quote
 

mrpidge
Local time: 08:35
Japanese to English
Same problem/potential solution Sep 2, 2013

Hi, I had a similar problem last week, though I'm not sure it is exactly the same. I completed everything but when I sent the fies, the client said that there was no target. I opened them up and they were fine, sent them screen prints to prove it but they didn't believe me.

I eventually found out that it was because I didn't change the file name for these 'missing target' files when saving (even though I saved to a separate 'completed' folder).

So, if this is the same problem as yours, I can suggest opening the xliff files and resaving the target with a new name.

Hope this helps!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

xxxowhisonant  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:35
German to English
+ ...
Interesting issue... Sep 2, 2013

... I recently had a Word file that I imported into Trados, translated completely, marked everything as translated, but was unable to generate a complete target Word file. The last app. 50% always remained in the source language. This was very annoying, needless to say, and I had to workaround by:

-Producing a 'fresh' source file,
-Adding the new source file to the project
-Pre-translating using the TM that I had previously created in the course of translation. This was 85% effective, some manual editing required, mainly due to different line/segment breaks.
-Saving, then generating a new target file...

So, not exactly the same as your issue, but it seems that SDLXLIFF files can certainly become corrupted. It would be interesting to see what happens when you generate target files from your XLIFF, and whether they turn out complete or not.

I haven't done a lot of work on packages, but it occurs that there may also be a problem with the way these are set up on the customer side?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sabine Wanner
Germany
Local time: 09:35
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problems going ahead ... Sep 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments.

It is really weird, because besides the projects I received as packages (one big project divided into 6 subparts) I now have a second case very similar, but somewhat worse, to what owhisonant writes.

It needs copy/paste into the wordfile to get a huge part of the translation in some way out of the software which in certain paragraphs takes almost as much time as translating.

The feeling I got is that "notes" within the text cause like an interruption, because the export mainly stopped in places where a note was present, took up again in some other place and then stopped again where another note was placed. As if a "tag" in the original file was missing. This I would suppose if I dealt with XML or HTML-files.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Part of project arrives at customer's side as not translated

Advanced search







PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search