https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/255451-i_am_no_longer_allowed_to_open_word_files_in_studio_2011.html

I am no longer allowed to open Word files in Studio 2011
Thread poster: Reich Sabine
Reich Sabine
Reich Sabine  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:24
English to German
+ ...
Sep 2, 2013

Hello everybody,

I am running SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2R on a Windows 10 operating system.

The system worked fine, but now I constantly get error messages when I try to open word files.
The same files do not cause any problem if I open them in Word or if someone else opens them on his/her Studio 2011.
The rights are not restricted in any way. "full access" is granted.

The problem occurs, if I go to Trados to "New project", further to "Type of
... See more
Hello everybody,

I am running SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2R on a Windows 10 operating system.

The system worked fine, but now I constantly get error messages when I try to open word files.
The same files do not cause any problem if I open them in Word or if someone else opens them on his/her Studio 2011.
The rights are not restricted in any way. "full access" is granted.

The problem occurs, if I go to Trados to "New project", further to "Type of project", further to "Project details", further to "Project languages". I make all my choices but when it comes to selecting "Project files", an error message comes up.

The error message says: "Sie verfügen nicht über die Berechtigung , diese Datei zu öffnen. Wenden Sie sich an den Besitzer dieser Datei oder einen Administrator, um diese Berechtigung zu erhalten". -> "You are not authorised to open this file. Please direct yourself to the owner of this file or to an administrator to obtain such authorisation."

Has anyone encountered this problem and has found out how to deal with it? I would be most happy about your assistance.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Sabine Reich
Collapse

owhisonant (X)
owhisonant (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Read only? Sep 2, 2013

Are the files opening up 'read-only' in Word? Have you tried saving them under a different file name, possibly a different Word format (e.g. docx instead of 97 - 2004 compatible)? Lastly, and this seems most likely if other people can open/save/import the files with no problems, is the location you're saving this particular project in a directory to which you may not have write permissions?

BTW, I didn't know Windows 10 was out yet......
See more
Are the files opening up 'read-only' in Word? Have you tried saving them under a different file name, possibly a different Word format (e.g. docx instead of 97 - 2004 compatible)? Lastly, and this seems most likely if other people can open/save/import the files with no problems, is the location you're saving this particular project in a directory to which you may not have write permissions?

BTW, I didn't know Windows 10 was out yet... I'll assume you're on 7 or 8. Either one, locate the target folder in Windows Explorer, right-click, choose Properties, then Security to view the permissions set on that folder, and adjust as necessary. Or change the target folder to one that you do have full permissions to.

Hope this helps,

OW
Collapse

Reich Sabine
Reich Sabine  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am still not allowed to open Word files in Studio 2011 Sep 4, 2013

Thank you OW for your answer. I have checked my rights for the relevant folder. I have full access. I have also copied the files to another folder. I have renamed them. I have converted the files which were in compatibility mode to the latest format. I have also tried to use "open file" instead of "open project". I systematically do get the same error message. - Who could help?
Regards,
Sabine Reich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am no longer allowed to open Word files in Studio 2011

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »