Trados upgrade from SDL Trados 2007 to Studio 2011
Thread poster: Julia Esrom

Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:51
German to English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2013

Hi, it's time to upgrade from Trados 2007 to Studio 2011. What about my TMs? From what I was told by SDL I understand that I might not be able to upgrade easily without losing my TMs from the 2007 version (which is not the Suite, just plain and simple 2007). Would this be a reason to go for the slightly more expensive option of buying the upgrade SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance + SDL Trados 2007 Suite as opposed to SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance? I also have an extensive Multiterm glossary that I would like to keep using.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:51
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Studio 2014 Sep 3, 2013

Studio 2014 is just around the corner so make sure that you take advantage of SDL's program of upgrading to Studio 2011 and then receiveing the upgrade to Studio 2014 free of charge when it comes out.

As to the TMs and Termbases, there shouldn't be any problem. Studio (all versions) have a built in tool to convert the legacy TMs into the new format. And if for some odd reason there is an isolated issue, you can always export the TM to TMX and import it into a new TM.
The Termbases will most likely work out of the box with the new versions of Multiterm (maybe with 2014 some action will be needed. I'm not sure at the moment).

sdl_andy
Local time: 20:51
Solved by the SDL OpenExchange Sep 3, 2013

Hi Julia

One option is to use the Trados 2007 TM Plug-In from the SDL OpenExchange.

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdltrados2007translationmemoryplug-in-261.html?c=31986#31986

With this you can keep your 2007 TMs as they are if you wish, then simply connect to them for reference. As you translate and confirm segements, you can update a new Studio 2011 based TM.

Andy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados upgrade from SDL Trados 2007 to Studio 2011

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search