Upgrade - Trados 2011 vs. 2014
Thread poster: Anna Fredrikson

Anna Fredrikson
Local time: 22:21
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 3, 2013

I am currently using Trados 2009 and thinking of updating to 2011. But the 2014 version will be launched soon, so I don´t know if it would be better to wait for that. I read in a post here that if you have 2011, you can get the upgrade to 2014 for free. Is sounds too good to be true? Can anyone confirm if it is?
Any thoughts on this?

owhisonant (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Maybe depends... Sep 3, 2013

Anna Fredrikson wrote:

I am currently using Trados 2009 and thinking of updating to 2011. But the 2014 version will be launched soon, so I don´t know if it would be better to wait for that. I read in a post here that if you have 2011, you can get the upgrade to 2014 for free. Is sounds too good to be true? Can anyone confirm if it is?
Any thoughts on this?

...on when you purchased your license? I purchased another license for 2011 two weeks ago, and it definitely does includes the free upgrade to 2014. Release expected end of this month.

Not sure what the deal is with 2011 licenses that were purchased last year or before, or with upgrading from 2009 to 2014, but the folks at SDL or your friendly neighborhood reseller might be able to help answer that.

[Edited at 2013-09-03 16:32 GMT]

owhisonant (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Deleted Sep 3, 2013

double post

[Edited at 2013-09-03 16:33 GMT]

Sone-Ngole Alvin Ngole  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:21
English to French
+ ...
2009-2014 upgrade: 195 EUR - prelaunch offer Sep 3, 2013

owhisonant wrote:

Not sure what the deal is with 2011 licenses that were purchased last year or before, or with upgrading from 2009 to 2014, but the folks at SDL or your friendly neighborhood reseller might be able to help answer that.

[Edited at 2013-09-03 16:32 GMT]

Those with 2011 licences purchased last year or before will have to pay an upgrade fee (125 EUR, prelaunch offer)...
Those with 2009 will have to upgrade to 2011 at a price higher than 125 EUR, in which 2014 upgrade is included (195 EUR - prelaunch offer).

http://www.translationzone.com/shop/freelance-translator/index-tab2.html?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRojvqrBZKXonjHpfsX76eQkUaCg38431UFwdcjKPmjr1YsATMt0aPyQAgobGp5I5FEOQrnYUKx1t6APXg==

These prices will increase after Studio 2014 is launched (according to SDL)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: repetition

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Wy upgrading? Sep 3, 2013

"Those with 2011 licences purchased last year or before will have to pay an upgrade fee (125 EUR, prelaunch offer)...
Those with 2009 will have to upgrade to 2011 at a price higher than 125 EUR, in which 2014 upgrade is included (195 EUR - prelaunch offer)."

And if you wait, let's say till SP2 is issued, they will give discounts, sometimes as high as 40 or 50% (they did with 2009 and with 2011).

But why upgrading while your (not so very old) CAT tool is still doing the job? The main difference between 2009 and 2011 for example is a lot of "bells and rings" you mostly don't need anyhow.

sjmdcl (X)
Local time: 17:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is like the industry of smartphones Sep 3, 2013

Do they really need a new smartphone every time they release a new version?

[Edited at 2013-09-03 23:56 GMT]

sdl_andy
To confirm... Sep 4, 2013

Hi, I'm from SDL.

Yes, if you buy an upgrade to Studio 2011 now, you will receive Studio 2014 for free on launch.

In respect of the "why" question, I think it's worth taking a look at the translationzone.com website and our blogs on sdl.com. We've already released lots of information on why Studio 2014 is different to 2011 so you can make that assessment.

Also, if you're on Studio 2009 now, you will of course get all the features added to Studio 2011 too.

Like many things (including mobile phones!), upgrades tend to bring incremental benefits, some you'll use, some you won't. However, our job is to make software that keeps you more productive and effective, so we strive to make improvements with every release that do that.

Hope that helps.

Andy.

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 04:21
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
As a long term Trados customer.... Sep 4, 2013

Hi Anna,

It's indeed not strange. I have been using these offers for over a decade, since Trados was Trados and not SDL. They were called Early Bird before and then they evolved with the scheme based on the idea that if you upgrade to a new version which will soon be made obsolete by a new one you'll get a free update, which is only fair. As far as i know, and as Andy said, it's correct, customer side. I have done this for two times already i think. I haven't upgraded yet from 2011 to 2014 but will do soon, provided they keep the offer on for one week or so.

Hope this helps further cast away your doubts.

Enrico

Anna Fredrikson wrote:

Any thoughts on this?

Anna Fredrikson
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Because clients demand it Sep 4, 2013

Thanks for all of the input on this subject,. The main reason I want to upgrade is that an increasing amount of project I get offered require using Trados 2011, so it is not really because I want to...
Andy, thanks for confirming the information. I have one question for you - if I buy an upgrade, (one) would that include an extra license (for use on one PC and one laptop for example). The license I own included an extra download. I would be grateful if you could inform me about that.

sdl_andy
Freelance Plus - for one extra machine Sep 4, 2013

Hi Anna

From what I can see you have a Freelance Plus license. The "plus" but means you can run the same license on two of your machines - as you request. So, yes when you upgrade to the freelance plus edition of Studio 2011 (with a free upgrade to 2014), the Studio 2014 license will indeed be OK to use on two machines.

The best thing to do is order your upgrade over the phone through our sales desk. They can make sure they check your account thoroughly before you are committed.

Hope that helps. When you make the leap, be sure to get in touch and let us know what you think.

Andy.

Anna Fredrikson
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 4, 2013

That information was very helpful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade - Trados 2011 vs. 2014

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search