Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 4, 2013

Hello everyone

A client sent me a TM and two short SDLXLIFF files to translate. I opened the TM in Trados 2011 by double-clicking it. I then closed Trados and then opened one of the files to translate. I translated it and marked it as "complete". Then I closed Trados and opened the other file in Trados, and saw that that about 70% of the segments are identical to that of the first file... but Trados doesn't show any matches. What am I missing here? Is there a short, easy way t
... See more
Hello everyone

A client sent me a TM and two short SDLXLIFF files to translate. I opened the TM in Trados 2011 by double-clicking it. I then closed Trados and then opened one of the files to translate. I translated it and marked it as "complete". Then I closed Trados and opened the other file in Trados, and saw that that about 70% of the segments are identical to that of the first file... but Trados doesn't show any matches. What am I missing here? Is there a short, easy way to get the matches, without making endless changes and tweaks in settings dialogs?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:42
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
How not to get fuzzy matches Sep 4, 2013

Samuel, you've given a good example of how not to get any matches in a TM

In Studio you don't "open" a TM. You add it to a project or to an open document in the Editor window by going to "project settings".

If you've translated a file and haven't actually been adding the segments to any TM, then the best thing to do right now is to open the TM separately (in the Translations Memory view) and "import" your
... See more
Samuel, you've given a good example of how not to get any matches in a TM

In Studio you don't "open" a TM. You add it to a project or to an open document in the Editor window by going to "project settings".

If you've translated a file and haven't actually been adding the segments to any TM, then the best thing to do right now is to open the TM separately (in the Translations Memory view) and "import" your sdlxliff.

Then open your new file and make sure you add this updated TM to the project settings. That way any fuzzy matches should be shown in the translation results window above the Editor as they come up.

More details here in a blog post I wrote about updating TMs in Studio:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/02/27/update-tm/

HTH,
Emma
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:42
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Create a project Sep 4, 2013

The best way to work in Studio is to create a project. A project contains all the resources for a given project.
Create a project using the New Project wizard, add the TM and the SDLXLIFF files. You can choose to create a Project TM which will contain all the new segments that are specific to this project, or not to create a Project TM which means that the Main TM (the one you added) will be updated.
Then open the Files view, select the SDLXLIFF file that you have translated, right c
... See more
The best way to work in Studio is to create a project. A project contains all the resources for a given project.
Create a project using the New Project wizard, add the TM and the SDLXLIFF files. You can choose to create a Project TM which will contain all the new segments that are specific to this project, or not to create a Project TM which means that the Main TM (the one you added) will be updated.
Then open the Files view, select the SDLXLIFF file that you have translated, right click it and choose Update Project/Main TM (depending on your setting), and proceed to work on the second file.

Alternatively, open the TM in the TM view. Right click it and select Import, and choose the SDLXLIFF that you have translated. Then go to the File > Open a document menu and select the second file. In the window that opens add the now updated TM and continue to translate.

But the most efficient way in my opinion is to create a project.

Edit: Emma has beat me to it

[Edited at 2013-09-04 15:37 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get fuzzy matches in Trados 2011

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »