How to make a word count in Trados 2011?
Thread poster: Thomas Johansson

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:23
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 5, 2013

Cannot figure this out... I've created the project, imported files for translation, created and connected a TM and connected a termbase.

Now, I would like to see a Trados word count for each file. The project has 4 files: 2 Word files and 2 PDFs.

I've selected View > Analysis Statistics and see a list of the imported files together with columns such as "Words", "PerfectMatch", "Repetitions", etc. But, in each columnn, there is no corresponding data for any of the files - it only says "n/a" .

How can I get at least the total word count in each file to show.

Thank you,

Thomas

[Edited at 2013-09-05 03:44 GMT]

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great Sep 5, 2013

a CAT tool that cannot make a word count or give an analysis of words/repetitions

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:23
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Run batch task Sep 5, 2013

You may have run a batch task that excluded "analyse" when you created your project. Strange, because it's part of setting up a new project if you're using default settings. If you open a single document you won't get an analysis either, but I don't think that is your case.

Never mind. Just go to your project in the "project" window, right click and select Batch Tasks. Now select "Analyze Files" and go through the wizard.

HTH,
Emma

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Sep 5, 2013

The only way to achieve a word count appears to be this:
1. Opening each file, confirming at least one target segment in each and saving the file.
2. Selecting Projects in the tab down to the left.
3. In the list, make sure the relevant project is highlighted.
4. Selecting Project > Batch Tasks > Word Count
5. Double-clicking the project in the list.
This will show a list of the files in the project, with the corresponding total word count for each file is indicated in one of the columns.

For the developers:
- Word counts are not at all important or essential to translators.
- You've created the most straight-forward and intuitive way possible and conceivable for performing word counts.
Congratulations.

Dina Dyachenko  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:23
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, not very intuitive... My variant how to analyse files in Trados 2011 Sep 5, 2013

1. Create a project
2. During project creation you are suggested "Prepare", "Prepare without TM" and "Custom" variants in "Project Preparation" window
3. Choose any, depending on you case, but be sure that the list of tasks include: "Convert to translatable format" and "Analyse" tasks
5. After all tasks are performed go to "Reports" tab in the navigation menu (left lower corner) - in the navigation pane on the left you will see the report on your project - just click on it to see
6. You can save the report in Excel format by right-clicking it in the navigation pane.

In case you do not create a project (need to analyse one document):
1. Open document
2. Save as... .xliff format
3. Batch tasks > Analyse
4. Go to "Reports" tab, etc.

You will get used to it)

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Or maybe... Sep 5, 2013

Thomas Johansson wrote:

For the developers:
- Word counts are not at all important or essential to translators.
- You've created the most straight-forward and intuitive way possible and conceivable for performing word counts.
Congratulations.

... just select the files you want to be counted and then run Batch tasks - Wordcount.

Not exactly difficult and once you understand that all processes are run from the same place then it really isn't that hard. You could even create Projects just for analysing or counting words and add the files into these for word counts when needed.

Of course if you use Projects then once the Project is created you already have these reports just by selecting reports. where you have a summary for the entire project as well as individual file counts.

Sometimes I think a little time understanding the concept behind how things work is useful.

Regards

Paul

nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Well Sep 5, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Sometimes I think a little time understanding the concept behind how things work is useful.

For those who for years with several software products have been following the "Open the file - Open the TM - Hit the Analyze button" logic, and who are under stress because the client wants numbers and a price, the SDL way of thinking how things work is not exactly logical. But thanks for your explanations.

Other strange thing, after the analysis the analysis file is not displayed - one has to search for it, where is it on the hard drive? and then one discovers that there is something like an immaterial "View". And the analyzed files disappear somewhere in the nowhere.

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tried it Sep 5, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... just select the files you want to be counted and then run Batch tasks - Wordcount.

Well, I tried that, but it didn't work. It would seem to be the logical way.
For some reason, it only worked for a file once I had confirmed at least one segment in it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make a word count in Trados 2011?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search