Trados Studio 2009 - "error while converting to word document" "file writing"
Thread poster: Pablo Mones

Pablo Mones  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:55
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Sep 5, 2013

Hello, I am trying to convert a word document but it keeps appearing the message "Error while converting to word document". When I run Ferify (F8) there are no messages of missing tags or whatsoever, only "File writing". Nothing else.

I have already tried to delete all formats and put all the file as simple text (no titles, subtitles, italics, etc., just plain text) and that does not solve the problem.

Any solution?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Simon Chiassai  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:55
English to French
+ ...
retranslate Sep 5, 2013

If you cannot find a way around it, I would suggest retranslating:

Import your translation in a new tm, save the source file (no the xliff, the actual source file) under a different name and open it with trados, and apply the TM matches. Since you've translated everything, it should all be 100% matches. Then try and save target as.

If this doesn't work, it might be that the issue lies with the source file itself. Any unsual aspects with that file?

Tobi
Local time: 16:55
English to German
+ ...
This usually works Sep 5, 2013

If Simon's process (saving under a different name) does not help, copy the content of your source file to a new, empty Word file and re-translate this.

Uruguay
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Already tried it Sep 5, 2013

Dear Simon:

Thank you for your reply. I have already done that when I erased all formats (the file has some automatic indexes) and saved the new file with a new name as a doc and docx file. but it didn't work.

I also copied and pasted the whole file (except automatic indexes) and it also didn't work (this was done in a different computer).

Finally, I solved it by exporting the TM to a Trados 7 format and translated it in the old Translator's Workbench. As it was already translated I only have to delete some tags and take care with footnotes and headnotes.

But, despite I have found this solution, I still don't know how to solve this problem in Trados Studio alone. You see, this makes me have strong doubts about buying the new Trados Studio 2014, as I don't know if it still has Trados 7 incorporated to save me from these type of problems.

Best.

Pablo

Uruguay
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't work Sep 5, 2013

Tobi wrote:

If Simon's process (saving under a different name) does not help, copy the content of your source file to a new, empty Word file and re-translate this.

I did it (as doc and docx files) but it didn't work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 - "error while converting to word document" "file writing"

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search