Problem with .xlf format in Trados TagEditor (2007)
Thread poster: Tuncay Kurt

Tuncay Kurt  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sep 5, 2013

Hello All,

My client sent me a large file in .xlf format to be proofread. I am using TagEditor (2007) to open and proofread it. When I have a warning message
(i,e this document contains the unknown doctype declaration root element "xliff" which has more than one matching tag settings file. Would you like to choose a specific file now?)
to choose the tag settings file just before opening the file I obviously choose Xliff Settings. I can open the file but the problem is that I can only see the target text. English (source text) does not appear and even when I open a segment I only see the target text.

What can I do about this? I do not have much experience with xliff files. I have already asked for help from my client but I just wanted to learn your ideas to solve this problem.

Please share your experience with xliff format.

Thank you.

Tuncay

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:25
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Locked content Sep 7, 2013

The source text is probably displayed above as a tag. This is because an untranslated file would have only the target text available for translation. You may want to mouse over the source tag text to display a tooltip with the content. Not very convenient, I must admit. Any other tool would probably be better. If you don't have another CAT tool, you could probably try a demo as most offer a trial period or free versions with limited functionality. Trados Studio and Deja Vu X2 handle xliff very well, for example.

Tuncay Kurt  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Studio Sep 9, 2013

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

The source text is probably displayed above as a tag. This is because an untranslated file would have only the target text available for translation. You may want to mouse over the source tag text to display a tooltip with the content. Not very convenient, I must admit. Any other tool would probably be better. If you don't have another CAT tool, you could probably try a demo as most offer a trial period or free versions with limited functionality. Trados Studio and Deja Vu X2 handle xliff very well, for example.

For the convenience my client also sent me a RTF file which I can easily proofread (though with some minors problems such as Turkish characters seem strange).
I should definitely start using Trados Studio, it will be as difficult as learning how to use a computer thoughicon_smile.gif

Thank you Adam for your input. I appreciate it.

Tuncay

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with .xlf format in Trados TagEditor (2007)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search