Trados dialogs don't work as they should when using mulitple screens
Thread poster: Jaime Hyland

Jaime Hyland  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2013

I work with SDL 2011 on a Windows 7 system using multiple screens (you know the way, with my browser on one screen and my Trados on another to stop having to toggle between programs every 20 seconds).

If I'm on a late night and have to bring work home with me I don't bring my extra screen home with me.

But if I happen to have opened the search dialog (for example -- it could be any dialog) earlier in the day on the now absent extra screen, then it is painted up again on the imaginary screen, where there is now no way I can get at it.

Something similar occurs when using Trados Workbench 2007, which I sometimes have to use due to a bug when I want to convert Winalign projects into something that Trados 2011 can digest.

If I'm not careful the Workbench opens normally, but is painted up onto a now non-existent screen, rendering the whole program useless until I get back to my work desk.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem.

TIA

Jaime

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:50
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It's been an issue for long years - there is a workaround Sep 10, 2013

They still haven't fixed it, it seems.

You can use your keyboard to access and move the window, though.
Find the "Windows" key on your keyboard - it is the little wavy window symbol - on my laptop it is between the Fn key and the Alt key at the bottom on the left side.
Press the windows key, hold it, and then try pressing the arrow keys - see what happens!
icon_wink.gif
So, when you open a window (a dialog) in Trados, and it goes onto the non-existing second screen, use this trick to move it back to your main screen.

For added fun, try pressing the window key, hold it, and then press the tab key - you can rotate through all your open windows - this may come handy, too, one day.

Try these first with your second monitor attached, so you could follow what is happening, then disconnect it to simulate your home environment, and try again.

Have fun!

Katalin

[Edited at 2013-09-10 16:35 GMT]

Jaime Hyland  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That does the trick! Sep 11, 2013

Hi Katalin,

Every day is indeed a school day!

Thanks very much for the tip. It works a treat!

The bug doesn't seem half as serious now!

*tips hat*

Jaime

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados dialogs don't work as they should when using mulitple screens

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search