An easy way to copy-paste source terms from Trados Studio into a search engine or dictionary?
Thread poster: SafeTrad

SafeTrad
Local time: 15:24
English to French
+ ...
Sep 10, 2013

Hello everyone,

I am so sorry if this kind of request has already been posted. I made extensive but unsuccessful research before posting this thread.

I often copy-paste source text from Trados into google to search for the term or term chain within google, inside brackets. I would like to find a direct copy-paste function as a right-click menu in Trados, for instance, a function that already exists for Firefox and other software I presume.

I remember there used to be a little add-on created by a ProZ forumer that allowed to perform this into different web pages. But that worked in MS Word only. I don’t know any such thing for Trados.

Do you have any tips or sort of advise?

Thanks a lot in advance and have a nice day,

Olivier

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
IntelliWebSearch Sep 10, 2013

What you need is
http://www.intelliwebsearch.com

Cheers,
Gerard

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You can also use... Sep 10, 2013

... the MultiTerm Widget that is installed when you install MultiTerm. This will allow you to automatically call up the search engine of your choice, or dictionaries you set up, or MultiTerm Termbases... directly from Studio. There's an article on the widget here you may find interesting : http://wp.me/s2xDjK-widget

Regards

Paul

SafeTrad
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 10, 2013

Yes Gerard, thanks, that was the software I was talking about, but I thought it only worked with MS Word. Does it work with Trados Studio 2009?

BTW, I have to say I never managed to make this software work perfectly. But it was several years ago and things may have changed since that time.

Am gonna check InteliWebSearch straight away!

Another question, if anyone knows of a good copy-paste system where you can store several terms and use function keys -or others- instead of ctrl+xcv. I am left handed and typing ctrl+X or ctrl+v is far from handy.

And... well any useful tip about copy-pasting is welcome here or by PM. Copy-pasting is without any doubt my main daily activity.icon_smile.gif)

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
intelliwebsearch Sep 10, 2013

thanks Gerard, it works like a charm and it's really useful. it does work from within Studio 2011.

as for Multiterm Widget, I get an error message when I try to install it, although my Multiterm and my Studio 2011 are fully updated.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
What's the error message? Sep 10, 2013

Perhaps you already have it installed? It's installed with MultiTerm 2011 automatically unless you specifically deselected it.

Regards

Paul

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
You don't have to use the IWS window Sep 10, 2013

SafeTrad wrote:

Yes Gerard, thanks, that was the software I was talking about, but I thought it only worked with MS Word. Does it work with Trados Studio 2009?

BTW, I have to say I never managed to make this software work perfectly. But it was several years ago and things may have changed since that time.

Am gonna check InteliWebSearch straight away!

Another question, if anyone knows of a good copy-paste system where you can store several terms and use function keys -or others- instead of ctrl+xcv. I am left handed and typing ctrl+X or ctrl+v is far from handy.

And... well any useful tip about copy-pasting is welcome here or by PM. Copy-pasting is without any doubt my main daily activity.icon_smile.gif)

It works from anywhere in Windows 7 and earlier, I haven't tested it in Windows 8 yet. You don't have to use the IWS window for your searches. I myself have sacrificed almost all Alt+ shorcuts to search directly with IWS. Alt+G is Google, Alt+P is Google Immages, Alt+Y is YouTube, Alt+L is Leo, Alt+B is my old version of Babylon, Alt+F is the French dictionary on my hard drive etc. I select a term or any text I want to look up and use the shortcuts to get direct results. It's magic!

Success,
Gerard

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
hi Paul Sep 10, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Perhaps you already have it installed? It's installed with MultiTerm 2011 automatically unless you specifically deselected it.

Regards

Paul

well, I actually uninstalled it a long time ago because I didn't use it, and tried to reinstall it recently. I can't remember the error message I got, but it didn't seem to have an easy solution.
I can live without it!

thanks for your interest. I'm finding very useful the TM and TB resources available from OpenExchange, by the way.

Lorenzo

SafeTrad
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IWS? Sep 10, 2013

It works from anywhere in Windows 7 and earlier, I haven't tested it in Windows 8 yet. You don't have to use the IWS window for your searches. I myself have sacrificed almost all Alt+ shorcuts to search directly with IWS. Alt+G is Google, Alt+P is Google Immages, Alt+Y is YouTube, Alt+L is Leo, Alt+B is my old version of Babylon, Alt+F is the French dictionary on my hard drive etc. I select a term or any text I want to look up and use the shortcuts to get direct results. It's magic!

Success,
Gerard

It is great news to learn that Intelliwebsearch works with Trados 2011!

Unfortunately, in my case as with all left handers, working with Alt will not be so practical.

[Edited at 2013-09-10 23:56 GMT]

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:24
Swedish to English
+ ...
A rpogrammable keyboard Sep 11, 2013

SafeTrad wrote:
Do you have any tips or sort of advise?

Perhaps not the sort of answer you were expecting, but if you want to copy and paste from your source document into Google etc then one neat way of doing it is to create a small macro on a programmable keyboard (such as Cherry MY 8300).

The Cherry is a standard keyboard with an additional 24 keys along the top. Each of these keys can be programmed with several keystrokes, and you can have up to 9 different layers, each with those 24 keys.

An example: to research a word I highlight the word (Ctrl/Shift-right arrow), copy it (Ctrl-C), then Ctrl-tab to switch to Google, then Ctrl-V to paste the word in Google, then Enter to start the search. All those ten keystrokes go into a single key out of the 24 available in each layer. Avoids Alt, and is ideal for both left-handers and right-handers.

Another good example: I often have to enter my email address. I store it in a key, and once done and checked it is a single keystroke to enter my whole email address with no possibility of errors. My address remains stored even if I switch off the computer.

I have been using programmable keyboards for 10 years. They are a real productivity boost, and I am always astonished that they are so little used.

SafeTrad
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Peter, Sep 11, 2013

Peter Linton wrote:

I have been using programmable keyboards for 10 years. They are a real productivity boost, and I am always astonished that they are so little used.

Thanks a lot for your input Peter, I also remember using macros a long time ago when Trados was embedded within MS Word, so that was before 2007.

I am looking for an intuitive solution and have been trying Intelliweb since yesterday, and that is indeed a fantastic time saver, as long as you can configure it properly, which is not yet the case for me.

Intelliweb allows to use any key combination for its single or multi searches and left handers will easily find shortcuts less painful than ctrl+v!

bungholio
German to English
AutoHotkey Sep 12, 2013

Another idea, similar to using a programmable keyboard, is to use AutoHotkey macros. For example, I have a macro set up that will search highlighted text in Google when I hold down Alt and press 0 on the number pad. Here's the code for it:

!Numpad0::
{
Send, ^c
Sleep 50
Run, http://www.google.com/search?q=%clipboard%
Return
}

The good thing is that this can be used for anything, not just translation (though that's where I use it the most)icon_wink.gif.

HTH!

SafeTrad
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IntelliWebSearch, a real time saver! Sep 13, 2013

Thanks again Gerard for reminding us of this precious little software, IWS. After fiddling around for 2 days and configuring it, the result is here! Typing and searching for a term or text chain inside brackets in google, ProZ, IATE, Termium, Collins or other dictionaries, all this simultaneously, takes exactly 3 seconds after highlighting the terms in Trados. With the typical copy-pasting and brackets insertion, the same batch of operations would take at least 30 seconds. And I don’t even mention the relaxation of fingers and hands it provides...

The wizard function is a child’s game for configuring some search engines, but does not function at all with some others pages like ProZ term search. In that case you need to rely on the URLs to configure the action -and some URLs have to be adapted- or enter manually the start and end chain to perform the search. Both tasks are not intuitive and take some time to obtain the desired result, but the pain is worth the gain.

Ilka Nahmmacher  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to English
Shortcut for lefties May 23, 2014

In case anyone is still interested months later...

As a lefty, I use the following shortcuts though unfortunately they do not work in Trados. They work everywhere else:

Copy: Ctrl + Ins
Paste: Shift + Ins
Cut: Shift + Del

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An easy way to copy-paste source terms from Trados Studio into a search engine or dictionary?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search