Trados Studio 2011 + Dropbox for backup?
Thread poster: Erlend Edward Hansen Hågvar

Erlend Edward Hansen Hågvar
Local time: 04:50
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Sep 13, 2013

Hi everyone!

Do you have experience with Trados Studio 2011 + Dropbox for backup? I would really like to hear about your setup and if this is working or not. What are the problems you have encountered (if any) and do you backup live? Do you synchronize?

Really hope you guys can give me some feedback, because I need a backup solution that is simple and automatic.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:50
Member (2008)
French to English
What I do for syncing and backup Sep 13, 2013

I use Dropbox but to syncronize jobs between 2 computers (office & home), not as a backup, although it could obviously serve that purpose. But due to the storage size limitations I move jobs out of Dropbox once completed. I don't keep my TMs in Dropbox because it would involve too much traffic, resaving the TM after each segment.

What I do use for backup is AlwaySync, plus an external HDD both at home and at the office. AllwaySync is a program that resides on my computer, not web based. I do an automatic nightly complete backup of the Documents folder to the HDD, both at the office and another copy at home, over a VPN link, so it's off site.

I also set AllwaySync to do a "live" sync, which isn't quite live. It scans files on my computer and if there has been no activity for 10 minutes on a file which is now changed it syncronizes it. In this way I keep my TMs matched between my office and home computers. So when I leave the office to go home, if I need to continue a job at home the TM at home has been synced by the time I get home by AllwaySync, as well as the job files synced by Dropbox.

I also use Macrium Reflect to take a complete snapshot of both computer images once a week, which backs up everything, including software. I learned the need for this the hard way twice. The first time, several years ago, my hard drive crashed and I lost everything on it. After that I installed Macrium Reflect and six months ago had another hard drive crash, but this time I was back in business within a couple of hours with a newly reimaged HD.

Finally an IT guy warned me that "automatic" syncing poses a problem - it can quit working for whatever reason and you won't be aware it's quit, if it's too automatic. AllwaySync allows a "custom action" to be performed after syncing is complete, so I have it give me a notice when it has completed and whether the sync was successfu or not. I still check once a week to make sure that the backups are actually happening, even though they're automatic.

Erlend Edward Hansen Hågvar
Local time: 04:50
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 13, 2013

Thank you for the reply and all good ways of backing up project and TM!

May I ask if you use Dropbox when you work with a project, saving it several times while you work? I have experienced some issues with synchronizing. It seems that when it is synchronizing the Trados software is "confused" about something and suddenly it won't open a previous saved and closed project. I stopped using Dropbox since this happened.

So, how do you set up the folder structure and does it work for you without problems?

The thing is I have used Dropbox a lot with different programs and never had a problem, until I started using Trados 2011.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 + Dropbox for backup?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search