Thread poster: Sudad

Sudad
Germany
Local time: 13:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 13, 2013

Hi all,

I am working on a .xml.sdlxliff file with Trados 2007 running on my pc. After saving my work as .ttx file, the color formatting went missing... Any of you guys came across this problem before?

[Edited at 2013-09-14 09:10 GMT]

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hmm... Sep 13, 2013

Looks like you have a very interesting problem... Working with .xml.sdlxliff file - with Trados 2007 (how did you manage to do this?) - saving it as .ttx file (why and what for?) - and having problems with color formatting (where exactly?)

Could you please elaborate a bit? What exactly are you doing and how?

Sudad
Germany
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Newbie having problem with SDL Edit* Sep 14, 2013

Thanks for your reply.. I took a second look on the programme running on my pc and realized that it is SDL Edit (instead of Trados)

Did some googling and found out that SDL Edit is a freeware for freelance translator.

So I will correct my question again: runnung SDL Edit, received .xml.sdlxliff file, given the option to save as .itd or .ttx by SDL Edit, randomly chosen .ttx without changing the filename (ie. the .xml.sdlxliff is still there). And when I open the saved file, the blue color (after hitting "enter" for every string translated) was not there anymore...

Tried saving it as .itd, got an pop up saying 'The document is not compatible with SDLX Lite'

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Working with SDLXLIFF files Sep 14, 2013

To work with SDLXLIFF file you should use SDL Studio 2009 or 2011: you cannot do this using older versions of Trados, SDLX etc.

Do you own Studio?

Sudad
Germany
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Difference between SDL Edit and SDLX Sep 14, 2013

No I only have SDL Edit on my machine... Is SDL Edit different from SDLX?

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SDL Edit is a part of SDLX Sep 14, 2013

But you cannot translate sdlxliff files with it. Sdlxliff files are created with next generation of SDL software, Studio 2009/2011. In case you have no Studio, you should not accept files in sdlxliff format from your customers.

[Edited at 2013-09-14 13:19 GMT]

Sudad
Germany
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Thanks for the info. So what format of file should I ask them to provide me with if I have only SDL Edit running?

Sudad
Germany
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Newbie messing around with SDL Trados Studio 2009 Sep 14, 2013

OK just got a copy of SDL Trados Studio 2009! I will just start with creating a project and see how far I can go before stumbling on yet another problem..

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
ITD Sep 14, 2013

Sudad wrote:
I am working on a .xml.sdlxliff file with [SDL Edit]. After saving my work as .ttx file, the color formatting went missing.

1. SDL Edit opens ITD files, not SDLXLIFF files, as far as I'm aware. Are you sure your file is an SDLXLIFF file? Can you see file extensions on your computer (e.g. do your file names end on .TXT when it is a text file)? I mean, is it possible that your file is really named something like "foo.xml.sdlxliff.itd" and not "foo.xml.sdlxliff"?

2. The colour you're referring to in a subsequent post (the blue) is essentially a segment status. I don't know why it disappears, but you can get it back by simply pressing Enter again on all segment (but VERY IMPORTANT: you must first disable autopropagation in the settings, otherwise SDL Edit will overwrite existing translations with fuzzy matches).

3. As far as I know, the ability to export an ITD file to TTX is simply meant as a means to transfer segment content. You won't be able to use that TTX file to recreate the original file. It is a fake TTX file that can be edited in TagEditor but which can't be converted to any "clean" format. In most cases, you can also "import" such a TTX file back into SDL Edit, by the menu item that is called "harvest" (you'll understand if you look at SDL Edit's first menu's Trados submenu).

You would not normally need to convert the ITD file to TTX unless you specifically want to use TagEditor to do editing, and you must know that importing data from such a TTX file isn't guaranteed to work (but you can decrease the risk by e.g. not renaming the TTX file and not changing the path in which the ITD file was when you exported the TTX file).

So... what is your answer to my question #1?

Samuel

[Edited at 2013-09-14 17:18 GMT]

Sudad
Germany
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Hi,

the file I received is helloworld.xml.sdlxliff, and windows explorer shows it as TTX file. How would you define this?

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sudad Sep 14, 2013

Sudad wrote:
The file I received is helloworld.xml.sdlxliff, and windows explorer shows it as TTX file.

My guess is that you don't have TagEditor installed on your computer, otherwise Windows Explorer would have said that the file is a "TagEditor" file. But now, Windows Explorer says it is a "TTX" file. This means that the file's full name is helloworld.xml.sdlxliff.ttx, and it is not an SDLXLIFF file.

I must confess that I have just checked to see if SDL Edit can open TTX files, and yes, it can. It can open TTX files and then save the TTX file again. I have never used SDL Edit to edit TTX files myself.

I have checked now, and yes, if I open a TTX file in SDL Edit and change all the segments to blue, using Enter, and I then save the TTX file and close SDL Edit, and then run SDL Edit again and reopen the TTX file, all the segments are no longer blue.

So what you experienced it exactly what I experience when I open a TTX file in SDL Edit. It doesn't affect the translation, though. It simply means that SDL Edit doesn't save the segment statuses. Is that a problem for you?

Samuel

Sudad
Germany
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Well actually yes. Just as you have pointed out, when I open the saved file and start hitting enter over all the segment again, the translated segment will be modified.. (but VERY IMPORTANT: you must first disable autopropagation in the settings, otherwise SDL Edit will overwrite existing translations with fuzzy matches)

And now I have gotten myself a copy of SDL Trados Studio 2009. I have created a project, loaded the helloworld.xml.sdlxliff files, did some of the translation work, and came across TM translation memory.

Did a bit of googling and am able to create a TM. So far so good. But how do I tell the TM like: Listen up, the word EUROPE will be repeated a few times in the file. Please keep this word in mind and translate it to EPORUE whenever you come across it...?

And what does the "cm" in a green box tells me?

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How to disable SDL Edit's fuzzy autopropagation Sep 14, 2013

Sudad wrote:
Well actually yes. Just as you have pointed out, when I open the saved file and start hitting enter over all the segment again, the translated segment will be modified...

To disable fuzzy autopropagation in SDL Edit:
1. On the top menu, go to Tools > Options.
2. Go to the Auto-propagate tab.
3. Deselect "Enable Auto-Propagate".

And now I have gotten myself a copy of SDL Trados Studio 2009. ...

Then I suggest you start a new topic in this forum, otherwise people who can help you won't see your question. I certainly can't help with Trados 2009.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie having problem with SDL Edit*

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search