Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Freelance SDL Studio 2014 - vertical translation windows?
Thread poster: Thomas Loob

Thomas Loob  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 12:09
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 16, 2013

Have we stopped admiring the emperor's new clothes and finally offer the alternative view like in Trados TagEditor?
Is it possible to back-track in TUs, too?
Cheers

[Redigerad 2013-09-16 10:52 GMT]

Pascale Pluton  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:09
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
a good idea Sep 17, 2013

"finally offer the alternative view like in Trados TagEditor"

I would love that too!
I find it much more comfortable and ergonomic.

May I dare to dream...

Pascale

Estonia
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007 popularity Sep 17, 2013

No wonder Trados 2007 is still so popular regardless of what SDL thinks and wants. They keep repeating that 2009-2011-2014 is better, but it doesn't get better if you repeat the same message a thousand times, it only gets better if you listen to the translators.
I for one would have migrated a long time ago and scrapped 2007 FL, but SDL don't get it, do they?

[Redigerad 2013-09-17 06:55 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Of course we get it... Sep 17, 2013

Thomas Loob wrote:

I for one would have migrated a long time ago and scrapped 2007 FL, but SDL don't get it, do they?

... but for every translator you can find who says they prefer this I could probably find more who don't!

This is on our roadmap and it will probably be done... but when it is we will do this properly which means significant work to the Editor. For the time being we have had more important things to address so this work, which is nontrivial, is just further down the backlog of things we would like to introduce.

It will happen... and when it does it will indeed be interesting to see whether users who are waiting for this may well find they actually start to prefer a side by side environment anyway. This has certainly been my impression since we released 2009 quite some years ago now. Kevin Lossner pointed me towards a study on this some years ago and didn't think we should waste time on this at all... and in terms of what Translators do I respect Kevins opinion quite a bit. Certainly it's not a case of SDL not getting it.

Regards

Paul

Estonia
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eye movement Sep 17, 2013

The eye movement...that's an objective fact, not an opinion.
Well, in the meantime, good luck selling more copies of 2009-2011-2014 to Kevin as other's views, experience and money doesn't seem to count...

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Side by side environment Sep 17, 2013

Hello,

I was a SDLX user for over 10 years. And I hate the old Trados environment.

Please for me only the side by side environment.

And for me it would be more important to edit the source text not only in Word and Power Point documents but also in Excel etc.

Regards

Geneviève

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I agree Sep 17, 2013

Thomas Loob wrote:

The eye movement...that's an objective fact, not an opinion.
Well, in the meantime, good luck selling more copies of 2009-2011-2014 to Kevin as other's views, experience and money doesn't seem to count...

The eye movement of the side by side view is not comfortable, I will then continue to use version 2007 as much as I can,

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I prefer side to side Sep 17, 2013

In WFP is the option to view also vertically, but I don't use it. In TE you see only one segment vertically, the rest is a mess. When I started to use SDLX, I found the side-by-side view more comfortable, even after using WFC for years. It is simply more orderly.

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
many ways to work... Sep 17, 2013

I particulary find this a cosmetic dispute.

my way of working is to overwrite text, so there is no eye movement involved.

I have Studio 2011 set up so it copies the source to the target when there is no match, and I overwrite the text. this was my way of working also with Trados 2007 in Word.

yes, you have the extra work of deleting some source text from the target side, but it is really comfortable!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Makes a big difference when proofreading Sep 17, 2013

It is not purely cosmetic ofr me.
Time after time I find myself proofreading only the target instead of checking against the source in the side-by-side set-up.
It is easier to miss things out as people did before CATs even existed.

It is much harder to forget the source with the horizontal setting.
I ALWAYS check the translation against the source at the first pass when proofreading my own work, and at some stage when proofreading for others.

It is also much easier to check lists and long sentences when working with the horizontal setup. Some of us still miss the option, even though I would never go back to 2007, and TagEditor was one of my real hates.

I'm not alone - we mentioned this at a recent powwow, and one colleague said she is not going over to Studio until it is fixed.

But thanks for all the other improvements!

United Kingdom
English
If you're proofreading... Sep 17, 2013

... then why not use Export for External Review. You can have the horizontal option here and import back in to update the translation when you're done.

Regards

Paul

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Plug-Ins... Sep 17, 2013

Surprised that nobody mentioned the plug-ins! Makes quite a difference when compared to other CAT tools.

Cheers,

Bernard

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Things happen when proofreading Export for External Review Sep 17, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... then why not use Export for External Review. You can have the horizontal option here and import back in to update the translation when you're done.

Regards

Paul

Paul, this proofreading format has caused a major problem with one of my projects.

It was a 11K word project that I translated and then exported for External Review and sent to a colleague to proofread my work. We have never found out what she (accidentally) did to the file, but somehow the table in the .docx got misaligned from a certain row down to the end of the document, and there was nothing the proofreader or I could do to get it right again.

Studio wouldn't accept the file I had received from my proofreader as a valid import format.

I ended up manually pasting her edits from the .docx file to my project file in Studio. So what should have been a few seconds' import operation took me four hours of work. I have never exported large projects for external review since.

Paul, have you ever had this problem reported before? Is there a fix? Perhaps the Excel file format for External Review is safer. But, on the other hand, some people prefer .docx and should be able to work with that without worrying what might happen at the next step.

Maciek

Estonia
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Happy for you... Sep 17, 2013

I must say that I am really happy that side to side fans have what they want...think about the other people sometimes...

United Kingdom
English
Working with Exported Review files Sep 17, 2013

Maciek Drobka wrote:

Paul, have you ever had this problem reported before? Is there a fix? Perhaps the Excel file format for External Review is safer. But, on the other hand, some people prefer .docx and should be able to work with that without worrying what might happen at the next step.

Hi Maciek,

I haven't come across this particular problem before. It sounds as though they must have been copying and pasting, or deleting cells, or something like this in order to have a problem like this.

The more common things I can think of that I have across before are these three issues:

1. Opening the docx directly from your email and reviewing. So not saving first.
2. Converting from docx to doc and back
3. Using "optional hyphens" or "non-breaking hyphens" in Word

All of these things will break the ability to reimport the file. The first took me quite a while to figure out and it was only when watching the user do this on a webex that we tried saving to the disk first and discovered that this process was the issue. I'm not sure why this causes a problem, but it does. The third you can resolve by searching and replacing these special hyphens with normal hyphens in Word. Studio supports these ok... but the Converter from Word does not.

I think another issue can be where users operate this feature for full translation rather than proofreading and then the heavy editing can lead to mistakes, with users deleting more than they should. This really isn't intended to be used for this purpose, although you can if you are careful, and it is far better to carry out major work inside a controlled environment... so in a CAT.

You can't really use Excel or XML for this process because these formats cannot be imported back in again.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance SDL Studio 2014 - vertical translation windows?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search