Why don't the TU get populated from TM even when the translation is there?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 17, 2013

It just happened all of a sudden. I have a big job on 60 000 words, and have several project packages. Before I opened project package 2, it worked well: I had the translated units populated from TM and could do Concordance searches. But after I opened project package 2 for my SDL Trados Studio 2011, I don't get any hits when I search with Concordance, nor do the translation units get populated, even though the translations have been done and are in the TM.

The translations I do now during the second batch go straight into the TM though, so immediately after I have translated a TU, I can find the translation with Concordance search.

[Edited at 2013-09-17 03:37 GMT]

When I run through the file yesterday, before opening batch 2 package, I had, for example, one TU populated that was a 92 % match. But today, when I go to that TU, the little TM window in the upper left corner of Studio UI displays nothing about this 92 % match.

[Edited at 2013-09-17 03:56 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

felicij  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Did you include the TM of the 1st batch? Sep 17, 2013

Every package has its own TM, so you have to include it through Project Settings...>TM and Automated Translation>Add>File based TM... and then find the first project folder and add the TM from it.

I always have my main TM activated, so it gets populated even if I work on several different projects.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The TM is in the same folder as both packages already Sep 17, 2013

I checked now, and the TM is the same for both packages, both packages are in the same folder already. Everything in the same folder: packages, files, TM.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does it have to do anything with the choices between All languages pairs and English-Swedish? Sep 17, 2013

Does it have to do anything with the choices between All languages pairs and English-Swedish?

I still haven't figured this out why and when to select to use translation memories using different translation providers. I always check afterwards that I can make Concordance searches of newly translated segments. But I don't know the difference between these two selections. Could this have affected these two packages somehow?

felicij  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Check the destination folder Sep 17, 2013

you created after importing.
e.g. after I import the package I save it in My documents>SDL Trados Studio>Projects>[name of the package]. It saves it in a different folder than the one I saved the original package in. This folder contains 5 ot 6 additional folders, in my case en-GB, Packages, Reports, sl-SL and Tm (and Termbases if applicable). After import you cannot save the second project into the same folder.
So find the first destination folder containing these 5 folders and in the folder Tm you have the populated TM from the first project. Include it through project settings...

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The package for batch 2 overwrote the TM Sep 18, 2013

The package for batch 2 overwrote the TM. I found it out when SDL Support helped me with a remote session.

Could see when the SDL technician moved the cursor on my screen that the TM contained only 126 TU:s. I had translated around 15,000 words in the first batch, so it should have contained around 1,500 TU:s.

So when package 2 opened in this same project folder, the new TM in package 2 replaced the existing, updated TM that contained all the translated segments from batch 1. No catastrophe though, as the SDLXLIFF files easily could be imported into this new TM so I got the old TM back that way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search