Beginner creating a translation memory
Thread poster: James Greenfield

James Greenfield  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:20
French to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2013

I just created a tmx using winalign. I'm in the process of creating tmx's using old translations. I created a new translation memory which I labelled legalfrench, can I now add multiple tmx's to this and build up a legal French-English translation memory? Is this the most sensible way to do things, rather than creating a new translation memory for each tmx? This is a very basic question I know, I just downloaded the studio2011 demo and am trying to get to grips with it. I used to use OmegaT but it didn't seem to speed things up, so I'm hoping I can build up a working translation memory that helps. Thanks

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:20
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Import the TMX into the TM Sep 19, 2013

In Studio open the TM that you have created in the Translation Memories view (lower left pane), right click it and select import.

However, don't expect any real difference in regards to speed compared to OmegaT. Both are translation Environment Tools that work according to the same principle
The purpose of TEnTs is not cost reduction or working faster (the tool doesn't do the work for the professional), their true purpose is doing the work better and more consistently. This is where the TMs, terminology, etc. come to be beneficial.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, more advice needed Sep 19, 2013

Thanks for that, I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice? I translate from French and Spanish into English. Should I just create two translation memories for the two language pairs and put all my tmx memory files for those pairs in those memories or would it be better to have different memories for different subjects? I mainly do legal and business translations and there is a big crossover so I thought one translation memory for each language with all the tmx's from my projects in them would be sensible. Thanks.

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
A matter of preference Sep 19, 2013

Some use one big (even huge) TM while others break it down by subject, sub-subject, clients, etc.; the level of granularity (or lack of) should best fit your individual needs and workflow.
There isn't really a right or wrong approach, just the approach that works best within your workflow.

In Studio, as well as other modern TEnTs, you can add more than one TM to a project. For example, let's assume that you have a TM for each client. You will use the client-specific TM as the primary TM (that will get updated with the translation and takes precedence in concordance and TM lookup results) but add additional TMs from other clients with whom you work in the same field as a reference. However, if you do that, I suggest that you set a 1-2 penalty for the results from these reference TMs so you won't get 100% matches by mistake.

[Edited at 2013-09-19 16:21 GMT]

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Sep 19, 2013

Thanks very much for that information, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
One more thing Sep 19, 2013

If you do eventually decide to go in the one-big-database way, you should know about the Fields and Attributes in Studio concept.

However, please note that not all TEnTs support this feature in full, or at all, so the associated "risk" with relying on a product-specific feature is that it will be hard to impossible to replicate or maintain, and some (meta)data loss could occur when moving to a new enviroment, meaning that you might be effectively tying yourself to the use of this product in the long-term.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:20
German to English
+ ...
Depends on the type of work you do Sep 19, 2013

Shai Nave wrote:

Some use one big (even huge) TM while others break it down by subject, sub-subject, clients, etc.; the level of granularity (or lack of) should best fit your individual needs and workflow.
There isn't really a right or wrong approach, just the approach that works best within your workflow.

I agree with the above. I do a lot of corporate communications work, and each company has their own style and terminology requirements, so I have TMs for each end client. That's the only way I can keep it all straight, which is especially important when it involves accounting terminology or business unit/division names, etc. Besides, I would rarely have matches across end clients anyway.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:20
German to English
+ ...
Also an excellent point! Sep 19, 2013

Shai Nave wrote:

If you do eventually decide to go in the one-big-database way, you should know about the Fields and Attributes in Studio concept.

However, please note that not all TEnTs support this feature in full, or at all, so the associated "risk" with relying on a product-specific feature is that it will be hard to impossible to replicate or maintain, and some (meta)data loss could occur when moving to a new enviroment, meaning that you might be effectively tying yourself to the use of this product in the long-term.

I was a Wordfast Pro user (OK'd with the client) on a big Trados job, and not being able to see the attributes for the segments automatically was a huge problem. I ended up doing it manually, but what a pain.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner creating a translation memory

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search