https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/25658-sdlx_compatibility_with_trados_6_freelance.html

SDLX compatibility with Trados 6 Freelance
Thread poster: Pascale Dahan
Pascale Dahan
Pascale Dahan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:00
French to English
+ ...
Oct 14, 2004

I have had Trados 6 Freelance for over a year and have never used it for work.
I am (very) slowly getting used to it.
A client asked me whether I could work with SDLX. I believe this the name of the TM for this CAT package, but is it compatible with Trados 6 by either importing/exporting or in any other way.
Thank you for your clarifications.

Thanks for your reply Stephen, but does it work the other way around, i.e. if I am sent an SDLX file, can I import it into
... See more
I have had Trados 6 Freelance for over a year and have never used it for work.
I am (very) slowly getting used to it.
A client asked me whether I could work with SDLX. I believe this the name of the TM for this CAT package, but is it compatible with Trados 6 by either importing/exporting or in any other way.
Thank you for your clarifications.

Thanks for your reply Stephen, but does it work the other way around, i.e. if I am sent an SDLX file, can I import it into Trados 6, and work on it in Trados 6, and maybe re-format it into SDLX?

[Edited at 2004-10-14 15:55]
Collapse

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:00
English to German
+ ...
I would recommend to fully switch to SDLX Oct 14, 2004

It's much easier to handle than TRADOS. Search the forums for comments.

It is compatible with TRADOS. You may export/import TMs created under TRADOS.

Steffen

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would not reccomend the full switching to SDLX Oct 14, 2004

but having both parallel.
The compatibility is only given for the translation memory files and nothing more.
The way they work (Trados and SDLX) are totally different.
If your client is going to prepare a project using SDLX and sends you *.itd files afterwards, there is no way to open them in Trados as far as I know, without having SDLX.
SDLX promises the export and (more important) the import of Trados *.ttx files (translated with TAG Editor), but this does not work prop
... See more
but having both parallel.
The compatibility is only given for the translation memory files and nothing more.
If your client is going to prepare a project using SDLX and sends you *.itd files afterwards, there is no way to open them in Trados as far as I know, without having SDLX.
SDLX promises the export and (more important) the import of Trados *.ttx files (translated with TAG Editor), but this does not work properly.
So if someone requires SLDX, you will have to work with SDLX, and if someone requires Trados, you will have to switch to this.
Only for the case, your customer wishes the translation memory, you can work with Trados and deliver then a *.tmx export.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Trados - SDLX Oct 14, 2004

I have both Trados 6.5 and SDLX 2004. I work with SDLX as much as I can.

When a client wants uncleaned Trados files, what I do is this:

1. Import the files and Multiterm into SDLX

2. Translate everything with SDLX

3. Export the translated files to Workbench through "file list"

4. Translate with Workbench (the TM now contains all the translation)

Although I go through the files twice, it's still much faster this way tha
... See more
I have both Trados 6.5 and SDLX 2004. I work with SDLX as much as I can.

When a client wants uncleaned Trados files, what I do is this:

1. Import the files and Multiterm into SDLX

2. Translate everything with SDLX

3. Export the translated files to Workbench through "file list"

4. Translate with Workbench (the TM now contains all the translation)

Although I go through the files twice, it's still much faster this way than to contend with Trados and Multiterm.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2004-10-14 21:53]
Collapse

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Compatibility between SDLX and TRADOS Oct 17, 2004

I can only recommend to NOT work with SDLX if your client is working with TRADOS files. And I can only recommend to ignore any of SDLX's TRADOS compatibilty claims. If you are translating e.g. FrameMaker MIF files with SDLX and need to send your client a TRADOS TM / TMX file you will face a rude awakening. SDLX handles most file formats very differently from TRADOS. While both SDLX and TRADOS represent any segment internal formatting changes with tags, both do it differently. Also both use diffe... See more
I can only recommend to NOT work with SDLX if your client is working with TRADOS files. And I can only recommend to ignore any of SDLX's TRADOS compatibilty claims. If you are translating e.g. FrameMaker MIF files with SDLX and need to send your client a TRADOS TM / TMX file you will face a rude awakening. SDLX handles most file formats very differently from TRADOS. While both SDLX and TRADOS represent any segment internal formatting changes with tags, both do it differently. Also both use different segmentation rules. I got SDLX 2004 TMX files and imported them into TRADOS TMW. Analysing the source TRADOS TTX files with the SDLX -> TRADOS TM I got incredible bad analysis instead of more or less only 100 % matches.
If you absolutely want to work with SDLX and your client is working with TTX: Make sure that they send you "pretranslated" TTX files. It's mandatory that they pretranslate the files with "Segment unknown sentences" turned ON (which copies the source segment into the target segment if there is no match). Otherwise you will not be able to "open" any source language segments because SDLX is not able to recognize them.

Best,
*Stefan.
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TTX and Trados-segmented RTF roundtripping Oct 17, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Agree.

SDLX promises the export and (more important) the import of Trados *.ttx files (translated with TAG Editor), but this does not work properly.

Admittedly, there were problems in the past in this respect, but recently (in September, if I remember well), SDL released a free tool called SDL Exchange which can convert TTX into ITD and vice versa. I used it a few days ago to send TTX files converted with SDL Exchange from ITD to another translator, and he cleaned them in TagEditor to add TUs to his translation memory without any problems.

So if someone requires SLDX, you will have to work with SDLX, and if someone requires Trados, you will have to switch to this.

In most cases this is true, but two or three years ago, when I did not have Trados, but had SDLX, one of my clienst sent me pretranslated (which also means: segmented) RTF files, and I translated them in SDL Edit, exporting them back to Trados-segmented RTFs afterwards. SDL Edit respects Trados segmentation in RTF files.

The client agreed to this procedure and they did not complain afterwards.

Regards,

Piotr

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
There are Trados seg. rules in SDLX Oct 17, 2004

Stefan Gentz wrote:

Also both use different segmentation rules.

SDLX has a "Trados style default" segmentation rules, too, which I use, because I found them to be better. Using these seg. rules in SDLX can bring the compatibility a bit closer.

If you absolutely want to work with SDLX and your client is working with TTX: Make sure that they send you "pretranslated" TTX files. It's mandatory that they pretranslate the files with "Segment unknown sentences" turned ON (which copies the source segment into the target segment if there is no match).

You're right. The same goes for translating RTF files in SDLX. If your client wants Trados segmented files as the final product, they should pretranslate the file(s) in Workbench, so that all text is segmented. These segments will be respected by SDL Edit and no segmentation will be removed/added.

Regards,

Piotr

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
I am resuming this old thread Jan 19, 2008

since I am trying to apply your advice but I think I am missing something.

You say: "If your client wants Trados segmented files as the final product, they should pretranslate the file(s) in Workbench, so that all text is segmented. These segments will be respected by SDL Edit and no segmentation will be removed/added".

I do as following:
- pre-translate the source text with Workbench
- open SDLX Edit and open the .bak file I have created
- I only get
... See more
since I am trying to apply your advice but I think I am missing something.

You say: "If your client wants Trados segmented files as the final product, they should pretranslate the file(s) in Workbench, so that all text is segmented. These segments will be respected by SDL Edit and no segmentation will be removed/added".

I do as following:
- I only get the text on the left column

Where is the mistake?

Thanks in advance,

sabina
Collapse

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
I found myself the answer Jan 19, 2008

and I wanted to let you know, just in case some other dummies like me should get lost.

Once created the .bak file you need to save it as doc. That way you can open it with Edit and that's it. It works wonderfully.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Some notes Jan 19, 2008

sabina moscatelli wrote:

Make sure you pretranslate only 100% matches and segment unknown sentences. SDLX is allergic to Trados files pretranslated with lower matches (especially low fuzzy matches).

sabina moscatelli wrote:

Why .bak files? If your source file is a Word file, the original file (before pre-translation) will be renamed to .bak file, and you can simply right-click your .doc file and select Translate in SDLX.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX compatibility with Trados 6 Freelance

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »