Opening Spanish pdf file in SDL Trados Studio 2011 (problem with vowels with accents)
Thread poster: Lia Mušič

Lia Mušič
Slovenia
Local time: 03:42
Member (2013)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Sep 25, 2013

Hello,

I use SDL Trados Studio 2011 and when I open a Spanish pdf file in Trados, all the vowels with accents in source segment are replaced by vowel and '. For example: a ' instead of á. So then, if I want to create a termbase entry (ctrl + F2), I have to retype each vowel with accent and correct each entry manually.
Any clue how to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Lia

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Three solutions Sep 25, 2013

I would recommend processing a PDF externally and not open it in Studio. Use an OCR program such as Abbyy to convert the file to Word; work on it there and open that file in Studio.

You could also copy source to target, save the target file and correct the accents in Word (or even in the target segments before you save). Then open the target file (which is still in Spanish) as a source file in Studio, with the accents corrected.

A third option would be using a bug/feature in Studio that lets you search and replace in the source text, as described in this thread here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/254036-studio_2011_replaces_words_in_the_source.html

HTH,
Emma

Lia Mušič
Slovenia
Member (2013)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I corrected the accents in Word Sep 25, 2013

Thank you very much for your reply. I converted the pdf file to word document with Abbyy (trial version), and the accents are mostly ok, but now there are extra letters added to some words in the word document.

Then I tried to copy source to target, save the target file and correct the accents in Word, as you suggested, and it was ok.

Thank you!
Lia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening Spanish pdf file in SDL Trados Studio 2011 (problem with vowels with accents)

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search