Off topic: freelance package Trados 2011
Thread poster: rubi471

rubi471  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:22
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 25, 2013

I have purchased the Trados 2011 freelance package in 2011, and was never able to either download it properly, nor to get an adequate tech support from SDL. When I downloaded the Trados to the Windows 7 it had completely re-arranged my PC's files directory and would not work properly with my Microsoft Word 2010. No matter how hard I tried to get help or advice from SDL, I would be always bumped to the multitude of the useless itube resources that did not explained or helped in my particular situation. It is by far THE MOST INEFFICIENT AND CUSTOMER UNFRIENDLY software company I had ever encountered.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:22
English
Where did you try? Sep 25, 2013

Hi Rubi (I guess?),

I'm sorry you have had a poor experience here. Did you try using the solution finder for this? You are entitled to free support for licensing and installation issues and this certainly seems to be an installation problem... although I'm not entirely sure how downloading a file to your system could re-arrange your file directory.

However, it sounds as though you have managed to install the product in the end as you say it won't work properly with Microsoft Word. Can you explain what you are trying to do and what happens when you do it? Then we may be able to offer some assistance?

Regards

Paul

rubi471  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:22
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2011 Trados woes Sep 25, 2013

Hi Paul, and thanks for your reply!

Actually, Trados re-arranged my computer registry files not the documents. I get a number of messages when I try to open my Word documents or/and file. A first one reads like this: "Compile error in hidden module: WorkspaceForWord. This error commonly occurs when code is incompatible with the version, platform or architecture of this application. Click "Help" for information on how to correct this error." When I click on "Help" it takes me to the screen with Categories like *Word 2010 Developer Reference, *Object Library Reference for Office 2010, *Visual Basic for Application Language Reference for Office 2010. Since I am not sure what category should be used, I usually go back to trying to open the Word document/file and then I get yet another message: "The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your Macro security settings." Now, I did play with the security setting and changed them a couple of times per this urging, but at no avail. And this is just a short scenario of the process of opening the Word; usually these messages come up 4-5 times on my way in and then after I try to close the document. It happened first when I downloaded Trados, but it did not get back to the way it was even after I got read of Trados software downloads.

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 13:22
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Can you try? Sep 26, 2013

rubi471 wrote:

Hi Paul, and thanks for your reply!

Actually, Trados re-arranged my computer registry files not the documents. I get a number of messages when I try to open my Word documents or/and file. A first one reads like this: "Compile error in hidden module: WorkspaceForWord. This error commonly occurs when code is incompatible with the version, platform or architecture of this application. Click "Help" for information on how to correct this error." When I click on "Help" it takes me to the screen with Categories like *Word 2010 Developer Reference, *Object Library Reference for Office 2010, *Visual Basic for Application Language Reference for Office 2010. Since I am not sure what category should be used, I usually go back to trying to open the Word document/file and then I get yet another message: "The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your Macro security settings." Now, I did play with the security setting and changed them a couple of times per this urging, but at no avail. And this is just a short scenario of the process of opening the Word; usually these messages come up 4-5 times on my way in and then after I try to close the document. It happened first when I downloaded Trados, but it did not get back to the way it was even after I got read of Trados software downloads.

Hi Rubi,

Leaving aside Trados for a while, you also seem to have issues with Word now. May i suggest just one different sequence to first fix registry and therefore Word, and THEN retry with Trados?
Try this:

A: Download a registry cleaning/fixing utility (You can try this: http://www.glarysoft.com/registry-repair/)
B) Try to see if Word looks in better shape and IF NOT then go to:
C) Go to "Control Panel", then "Programs" and find where your OFFICE is...then there should be an option allowing you to repair/Reinstall Word. Run it and wait...your PC will reboot maybe.
D) If past all of this your word and registry look in better shape then RETRY to Download/install Trados 2011.

Also...do you have any firewall/antivirus installed? If so that may affect your installation too sometimes (very rarely but it happens).

I hope it helps.

Regards

Enrico

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:22
English
Probably not Studio at fault... maybe a template issue? Sep 26, 2013

rubi471 wrote:

Actually, Trados re-arranged my computer registry files not the documents. I get a number of messages when I try to open my Word documents or/and file. A first one reads like this: "Compile error in hidden module: WorkspaceForWord.

Hi Rubi,

I did a quick search for this error looking for clues and came across this KB article from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307410

It's not the exact message you reported but the article does say a message that is similar. The problem was caused here by the following conditions being met:

The Microsoft Office Startup folder or the Microsoft Excel Startup folder contains either or both of the following Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker add-in template files:
- Pdfmaker.dot
- Pdfmaker.xla

Norton AntiVirus software is installed.

So I think it would be worth checking this article and perhaps seeing whether this is the case.

The other thing I wondered... perhaps a loose connection... was whether you are using or have installed Translation Workspace for Word? The name just sounded familiar and perhaps there is a template in the same location referred to for the PDF templates that is causing this problem?

Last thing I can think of is what version of Word do you have installed? Is it the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version? If it's the 64-bit version then this may well be the cause of your problems because most word macros, even today, were written for the older version and they will not work correctly in the 64-bit version. So whilst Studio has no problem working with the 64-bit version of Word, the old toolbars for translating in Word will not. I think anyone who wishes to still use these tools needs to always install the 32-bit version of Word, even on a 64-bit operating system.

Perhaps as a test zip up all the templates that are not clearly Word templates in the Microsoft Office startup folders and save them on your desktop. Then remove the ones in the folder and start Word again. If it works you know the problem has something to do with your templates.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

freelance package Trados 2011

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search