https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/25688-problem_with_importing_converted_databases_into_multiterm.html

Problem with importing converted databases into Multiterm
Thread poster: Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:59
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Oct 15, 2004

Hi,

I have just upgraded to Trados 6.5 and am working with Multiterm 6.20.287 (Build 287). When I want to import my old converted (with MultiTerm Convert) databases into Multiterm it does not work, but I don't get any error messages or anything. Any ideas?

Kristina

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:59
English to Polish
+ ...
Any log files there? Oct 16, 2004

Kristina Wolf wrote:

Hi,

I have just upgraded to Trados 6.5 and am working with Multiterm 6.20.287 (Build 287). When I want to import my old converted (with MultiTerm Convert) databases into Multiterm it does not work, but I don't get any error messages or anything. Any ideas?

Kristina

Hi Kristina,

Multiterm usually creates logs during import. Are there any log files for the import you were trying to do and what do they say?

HTH

Piotr

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More detailed description Oct 16, 2004

Hi Kristina,
Piotr already made an important point. Also, could you please describe the steps you're following to import the data?

Thanks, Ralf

Kristina Wolf
Australia
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Log file Oct 17, 2004

That\'s what the logfile says, but it does not make sense to me:

Ursprüngliche Eintragsnummer Aktion\\Eintragsnummer in Termbank
1 Ist nicht konform mit der Termbankdefinition.
Grund: Ausgabetabelle \'I_Englisch\' nicht gefunden.
Quelle: MtServer.MtTermbase.1

It says that for every entry.

Kristina Wolf
Australia
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Steps Oct 17, 2004

I follow the steps indicated in the Multiterm guide.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Termbase definition Oct 17, 2004

Hi Kristina,
Thanks for the additional info.

Did you create a new termbase using the definition (.xdt) generated within the scope of the conversion process, or did you create the termbase independently?

Thanks, Ralf

Kristina Wolf
Australia
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Confused Oct 18, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Kristina,
Thanks for the additional info.

Did you create a new termbase using the definition (.xdt) generated within the scope of the conversion process, or did you create the termbase independently?

Thanks, Ralf

I think I did create a termbase independently, i.e I created a new termbase with the default input model in Multiterm. I did not know that there is a definition created by the conversion process. Where would I find it?
I must admit that I find the new multiterm terribly confusing and can't seem to work my head around the ways it's working, even though I read the instructions manuals.

Kristina

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
.xdt file created during the conversion process Oct 18, 2004

Hi again, Kristina,

I think I did create a termbase independently, i.e I created a new termbase with the default input model in Multiterm. I did not know that there is a definition created by the conversion process.

Look at step 4 of the conversion process: once you have selected the input file, MT Convert creates default names for the three files created during the conversion process:

.xml - the output file (for subsequent import into MTiX);
.xdt - the termbase definition file;
.log - the log file.

Where would I find it?

Unless you changed the defaults, in the same directory as your source (MT 5.5) file. Actually, the message at the top of the window reads: "Select the input file to be converted and MultiTerm Convert creates all other files in the same location by default."

I must admit that I find the new multiterm terribly confusing and can't seem to work my head around the ways it's working, even though I read the instructions manuals.

Can you be more specific, please? What exactly do you find confusing? I'm sure we can provide some pointers, but would require more specific information to do that...

HTH, Ralf

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Alternative Oct 19, 2004

When I want to import my old converted (with MultiTerm Convert) databases into Multiterm it does not work, but I don't get any error messages or anything. Any ideas?

Kristina

Why don't you try attaching the termbases instead of importing them. This is what I have done after installing Multiterm Term Workstaton.

Kristina Wolf
Australia
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Default names Oct 19, 2004

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again, Kristina,

I think I did create a termbase independently, i.e I created a new termbase with the default input model in Multiterm. I did not know that there is a definition created by the conversion process.

Look at step 4 of the conversion process: once you have selected the input file, MT Convert creates default names for the three files created during the conversion process:

.xml - the output file (for subsequent import into MTiX);
.xdt - the termbase definition file;
.log - the log file.

Hi Ralf,

I used the default names MT Convert Creates.

Can you be more specific, please? What exactly do you find confusing? I\'m sure we can provide some pointers, but would require more specific information to do that...

I\'ll take you up on that offer later, when I have a bit more time. Thank you for your time and effort

Kristina

Kristina Wolf
Australia
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Attaching? Oct 19, 2004

Kristina[/quote]

Why don't you try attaching the termbases instead of importing them. This is what I have done after installing Multiterm Term Workstaton.[/quote]

What do you mean with attaching? I thought that you must convert from Multiterm 5.5, because it is a different format.

Kristina

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Default names Oct 19, 2004

Hi Kristina,

I used the default names MT Convert Creates.

...in which case you can find the .xdt file.

Create a new termbase using this definition (choose Load an existing termbase definition file in step 1 of the termbase wizard), then try importing again.

I don't believe attaching will work unless you have created a termbase - to do that based on data exported from MT5.5 you will need to import.

HTH, Ralf

Kristina Wolf
Australia
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 19, 2004

That worked! Thanks a million.

Kristina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with importing converted databases into Multiterm

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »