Advice on Winalign use please (Studio 2011)
Thread poster: Sian Cooper

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:43
French to English
+ ...
Sep 28, 2013

Hi, all. I am at the end of a fairly long project, which is likely to lead to future work. I have the finalised files, but we had to edit them a lot direct in the Word target, because (converted from PDF and complex layouts) of formatting issues when generating the target from Trados, and a lot of client preference changes required.

So now I am at this stage, I am wanting to use Winalign to regenerate a correct TM.

Maybe I was over-ambitious - I know Winalign is quite old - but I created a project with all 10 files in (they range from 2000-16000 words). Some of them were rejected by the Winalign conversion process (I'll worry about them later). But now in my project, where I need to, for example, join segments, each action is taking about 2 minutes to complete. I have closed everything else (except my browser not to write this lol); I have no virus checker running etc. - just Winalign...

Because of the complexity of the files and the pdf/doc conversion/reedits, there are a lot of realignments to do - would it probably be quicker for me to recreate 1 project by file, rather than 1 central project, might that reduce the strain? Or do I just have to suffer? (and yes, I know 2014 is better!)

Many thanks

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
LF Aligner Sep 28, 2013

Hi Sian,

Forget about WinAlign and try this link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/

HTH,

Bernard

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
English/Hungarian???? Sep 28, 2013

Hello, Bernard. Thanks for your answer but I stopped pretty quickly with this product, when I couldn't see how to have other than English source and Hungarian target during my project setup... no doubt this does a good job, but the interface is totally not up to speed!

[Edited at 2013-09-28 22:48 GMT]

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
More Options Sep 28, 2013

It's definitely - got more options than English and Hungarian!

Cheers,

Bernard

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
? Sep 29, 2013

Sian Cooper wrote:

Hello, Bernard. Thanks for your answer but I stopped pretty quickly with this product, when I couldn't see how to have other than English source and Hungarian target during my project setup... no doubt this does a good job, but the interface is totally not up to speed!

You can pick any language from the dropdown list, and you can change the defaults in the cryptically named LF_aligner_setup.txt.

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
LF Aligner Sep 29, 2013

I've used LF Aligner with extraordinary results. it does include enough instructions on hoy to use the interface.
it also claims it doesn't work well with tables.
good luck Sian!

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks guys Sep 29, 2013

I shall try this again in the cold light of day - it was late, I was frazzled and, um, had had a couple of beers!! Sorry to have been hasty/tired/tipsy... and thanks for the advice!

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow Sep 29, 2013

It's a GREAT little tool! Sadly I'm dealing with urk conversions from pdfs (I tried the export to text and save as UTF-8, but the alignment failed, script errors, pity) - so I'm working with the converted doc file to the end doc file - the conversion is GREAT, even though there is a lot of faffing to do because of the conversions, and the docs are tables - but the alignment is really impressive!

Thanks for putting me onto this, and I'm sorry I was, as they say, tired and emotional when I first tried iticon_biggrin.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on Winalign use please (Studio 2011)

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search