Thread poster: Enrico C - ECLC

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 07:30
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 30, 2013

I'll make it short. Since i updated to the newest version of Java, Studio first started showing a Java notification asking me to confirm (RUN) for every single term i was adding to Multiterm. Then, a few days later it stopped adding terms altogether and all what i get now is a blank window on the MT box. I'd like to know if anyone knows of any better procedure than removing Java and reinstalling Java as I am dead tired and want to call the day, finish the work and go chill.

Java is on low protection already. Other settings look ok.

Thanks in advance!

Enrico

Direct link Reply with quote

Sarah Elizabeth
Italy
Local time: 01:30
Italian to English
having the same problem Oct 2, 2013

I am having what appears to be the same problem. I was recently prompted to update Studio 2011, so I did. (Sometime in the last couple days.)

Around this time, although I cannot remember if the problem began before or after the Studio update, whenever I tried to add a term from the Editor window, I would get a warning message asking if I really wanted to go ahead.

After a couple days of this, I stopped getting the warning message (which is why I cannot provide the exact wording of the message here), and instead I get an entirely empty Termbase Viewer window where the term to be added should be visible. So, I cannot add terms from the Editor window anymore. At all.

Java is already set to the lowest possible security setting (maybe I lowered the setting when I started getting the warning message described above, and maybe this is why the warning message stopped appearing).

This is driving me mad. The glossary function is one of my top reasons for using Trados; not being able to add terms from the Editor window seriously tips the balance and makes using the software almost pointless (for me).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Sarah

Taiwan
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution is below Oct 2, 2013

Sarah Elizabeth wrote:

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

The solution is the one i stated below, but let me try to summarize again-

- Go on Control Panel
- Programs
- Look for any version of Java and click on UNINSTALL. (Remove all versions of Java).
- Retry to start Studio. You should get a popup asking you to install Java.
- Follow the instructions (If any, if not i'll suggest another method below).
- Once Java installation completes, restart Studio/MT and try to add a new term.

Note: If you don't get the notification to install Java automatically, download the last version of Java from Oracle and, AFTER YOU HAVE REMOVED ALL JAVA VERSIONS, reinstall the version you downloaded from Oracle (Another version is also inside the Studio folder and that one may work better)
Note2: DO NOT KEEP double versions of Java (Especially those 64Bits.)

Try and let me know. I may not reply quick as i am in the other emisphere and it's bedtime here.
Maybe Paul or someone from SDL will come to help too

Regards

Enrico

[Edited at 2013-10-02 15:26 GMT]

Sarah Elizabeth
Italy
Italian to English
Thanks, Enrico! Oct 3, 2013

Thanks, Enrico, your solution worked:

I uninstalled all instances of Java (there were two), was not then prompted by either Studio or Multiterm to install Java, so visited the Java website and installed the most recent version (40, which appears to have been one of the two instances that had already been on my computer, along with one apparently called 24).

From that point on, after restarting my PC after every change, I have been able to add terms. I only got one warning message this time, the first time I wanted to add a term, which included an option to not see that message again. After selecting "do not show again" it did not reappear during that translation session. Hopefully it will "stay gone".

So, it works now. Unfortunately, experience tells me that it is only a matter of time before it gets hit by another bug. I hope this time will be different.

To SDL: it is an enormous waste of time dealing with these problems, and particularly when they strike a perfectly standard basic function of the software. It is as if Word had a recurrent spellcheck bug and spellcheck frequently stopped working and required forum queries, uninstalls, restarts, searches, downloads and installs prior to regaining spellcheck functionality (which, knock wood, has not yet ever happened).

Thanks again Enrico,
Sarah

Sarah Elizabeth
Italy
Italian to English
spoke too soon - stopped working again Oct 5, 2013

I spoke too soon. The add term fix described above only worked for one day. I am back to getting a blank window when I try to add a new term from the Editor window.

Has anyone managed to resolve the problem in a different way?

Enrico, is your solution still working for you?

Taiwan
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mine is working Jun 5, 2014

Sarah Elizabeth wrote:

I spoke too soon. The add term fix described above only worked for one day. I am back to getting a blank window when I try to add a new term from the Editor window.

Has anyone managed to resolve the problem in a different way?

Enrico, is your solution still working for you?

Hi Sarah. My Studio works as usual (which means with the usual bugs and luckily no new ones)

However, i don't really have Java issues. Can you repeat the whole Java procedure? Also make sure you don't have 64-bit versions in the PC. Studio hates the 64-bit one for some reason. Just scrap them all and reinstall. It should start to work again. That's really the standard process to make the "ol boy" work.

PS: You don't have to expect a consistent usage over time. The issue will pop up again occasionally, apparently for no reason. This means that solving it once doesn't mean it's forever. It means you'll have to go through the pain again and again each time this happens.

[Edited at 2014-06-05 10:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 and Java (Again)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search