Karen Zeng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:13
Member (2014)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 1, 2013

Hi,

I loaded three TMs in a project in Studio, and their order is A, B, C, so A has the highest priority.

What is confusing is that there’re rather a few segments of which the match percentages with A, B, C are the same, say 99%, but the matching segments in B or C rather than A came first in the translation results window.

Anyone who could provide some suggestions? Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:13
English
The priority... Oct 1, 2013

... is based on match and then context rather than the order they are in the list. So if you wish to have one over the other consistently then maybe apply a penalty of 1% to the second, then 2% to the third and this way they will always be penalised to appear in this order.

Why does it matter which TM provided the result as long as it's the best one?

Regards

Paul

Karen Zeng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:13
Member (2014)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What if matching scores are the same? Oct 1, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... is based on match and then context rather than the order they are in the list. So if you wish to have one over the other consistently then maybe apply a penalty of 1% to the second, then 2% to the third and this way they will always be penalised to appear in this order.

Why does it matter which TM provided the result as long as it's the best one?

Regards

Paul

Indeed it doesn’t matter as long as the result is the best one. When the matching score of B is the highest, of course I would like the translation in B to come first. What I’m trying to say is the circumstance when matching scores of A, B and C are the same. In this case, I hope the translation in A would come first, because the quality of translation in A is the best (B and C needs further refining and is sort of for reference), and also the client requires us to comply with A as much as possible, that is, if matching scores of A, B and C are the same, he requires us to choose the translation in A.

What I don’t understand is that, when matching scores were the same, why wasn’t the translation in A listed in the first place? When I added the three TMs to the project, I made A the first one in the TM list in the “Translation Memory and Automated Translation” page under Project Settings. Naturally I would expect translations in A to be the first when matching scores of the three are the same. Here is what I extract from the Help: The translation memories are ordered by priority (highest priority being the first translation memory in the list). This translation memory priority is used to determine the order in which translation memory suggestions are made.

You mentioned “apply a penalty of 1% to the second, then 2% to the third”. That’s exactly what I want.

Thanks

[Edited at 2013-10-01 10:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-01 10:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Priority of TM doesn’t seem to work correctly

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search