Does Trados Studio support InDesign CC files??
Thread poster: Jutta Deichselberger
Jutta Deichselberger
Jutta Deichselberger  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:06
French to German
+ ...
Oct 1, 2013

Dear all!

Does Studio 2011 (or 2014) support InDesign CC files??
I tried to open an InDesign CC file (converted in idml-format) in Studio 2011 but it doesn't work...

I've searched a lot and found the following threat:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/253912-studio_2011_and_indesign_cc.html

U
... See more
Dear all!

Does Studio 2011 (or 2014) support InDesign CC files??
I tried to open an InDesign CC file (converted in idml-format) in Studio 2011 but it doesn't work...

I've searched a lot and found the following threat:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/253912-studio_2011_and_indesign_cc.html

Unfortunately, I have the same problems and the trick of renaming the product name in the xml file doesn't work either...

Thank you very much!

Jutta
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I think 2014 does Oct 1, 2013

I opened it up and had a look through the supported files and the InDesign file filter allegedly is for CS4 to CC

Jutta Deichselberger
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Nick Oct 1, 2013

That would be great. I was afraid that it wouldn't be supported at all...
Thank you very much!!!

Jutta

Jutta Deichselberger
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't work... Oct 2, 2013

I've just installed Studio 2014 and unfortunately I cannot open InDesign CC files (in idml-format)... I cannot understand it as CC (idml-format) is mentioned in the list of the supported files. Is there someone who can give me a hint???

lingoaccess
lingoaccess
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
InDesign CC and Trados Studio - how to make it work Dec 11, 2013

Error when opening IDML file in SDL Trados Studio 2011: "The selected IDML file was created by an unsupported version of Adobe InDesign"

Symptoms
When you try to open an IDML file in SDL Trados Studio 2011, the following error message occurs:

The selected IDML file was created by an unsupported version of Adobe InDesign and will not be processed.

Explanation
Studio shows this error message because the original file was crea
... See more
Error when opening IDML file in SDL Trados Studio 2011: "The selected IDML file was created by an unsupported version of Adobe InDesign"

Symptoms
When you try to open an IDML file in SDL Trados Studio 2011, the following error message occurs:

The selected IDML file was created by an unsupported version of Adobe InDesign and will not be processed.

Explanation
Studio shows this error message because the original file was created in Adobe InDesign CC version, which is not supported in SDL Trados Studio 2011. Adobe InDesign CC file types are fully supported starting with SDL Trados Studio 2014.

Resolution

There are two workarounds that enable you to open Adobe InDesign CC files in SDL Trados Studio 2011.

NOTE: The following workarounds may cause you to lose some Adobe InDesign CC. After the forward and backward conversion, carefully check the files for any issues.

Workaround 1

Open the IDML file in Adobe InDesign CS6 and re-save the file as IDML.
Open the new saved IDML file in SDL Trados Studio 2011.

Workaround 2

NOTE: This workaround requires changing information in the IDML files. Therefore, SDL does not recommend this workaround.

To retrieve the required information from the IDML file, first make sure you:

Have WinZip, WinRAR or a similar (de-)compressing tool installed on your machine.
Deactivate the option Hide file extensions for known file types for your operating system (refer to KB article #3330 for instructions).
Have a text editor installed, for example Notepad. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad to access it.
Then:

Close Adobe InDesign on your machine.
Browse to your IDML document.
Highlight the document with one mouse click and press [F2].
Rename the file type extension *.idml to *.zip and press Enter.
Extract the renamed document with either WinZip or WinRar to a folder.
Open your text editor and click on File > Open.
Browse to the extracted folder and open the fole designmap.xml.
When the file designmap.xml is open in the text editor, find the field that looks like this:
product="9.0 (244)"
Change the line to product = "8.0(370)". This is the highest version that SDL Trados Studio 2011 recognizes at the moment.
Save the changes and close the editor again.
Re-zip all the files and folders.
Change the file extension back from *.zip to *.idml.
Now open the file in Studio 2011.
Collapse

Jutta Deichselberger
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 11, 2013

I found this information, too, and it works fine:-)

Pieter Beens
Pieter Beens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
INDD in Trados using a workaround May 23, 2016

Last week I found a much easier way to translate INDD in Trados. However, that requires some workarounds. You can find the process in 3 steps at https://www.vertaalt.nu/blog/trados-indd-translation-indd-files-trados-studio/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Trados Studio support InDesign CC files??

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »