SDL Trados 2014 error on opening package
Thread poster: Darius Daniel Grigoras

Darius Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2013

I have just received a proofreading job from a translation agency, but when I tried to open the trados package I received the following error: "The package "******_ro-RO.sdlppx" cannot be opened as it contains languages that are not configured for this installation."

I have to proofread the translation from English into Romanian. I opened the package in another CAT tool (Fluency Translation Suite 2013), and I was told that the package contains translation memories. I was then asked by Fluency 2013 whether I want to import them. I only imported the EN-RO TM, but I saw that the package contains lots of TMs for language pairs that I don't work in and which I have not added to SDL Trados 2014's working pairs.

What would be the solution to this problem?

Direct link Reply with quote

Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I managed to open it in Trados Studio 2011 Oct 1, 2013

Trados Studio 2011 was able to open this package.

Unfortunately, despite Trados 2011 installing an update just now, I have to configure/add/set up my languages each time I switch between the 2011 and 2014 versions.

Anyway, after opening the trados package in Studio 2011 I was asked to log in to a certain server (see img. 1), but I couldn't log in as I don't have the credentials. The file was finally opened in the Editor, after receiving an error for each TM that couldn't be accessed (see img. 2).

I then tried to open the package again in Studio 2014, and to my surprise I did not receive the error mentioned in my first post any more.

Well, at least I managed to waste my and others' time.

[Edited at 2013-10-02 10:11 GMT]

Olga Cuzmanov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:27
Member (2013)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Thank you Oct 2, 2013

I don't consider your post explaining how the problem was fix a waste of time. Thank you for taking the time to do it.
Olga

Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados 2009 package Oct 2, 2013

The Project Manager told me that the package she sent me is a Trados 2009 version (she said that that's the version used by most of their translators), so I guess that's why Studio 2014 was unable to open it, as opposed to Studio 2011. I think that this is also the reason why Studio 2014 was only able to open the package after it had been previously opened by Studio 2011. Probably Studio 2011 altered/updated the package in some way that made it possible for Studio 2014 to also open it.

Bottom line: there are probably some minor but somewhat crippling compatibility problems with Studio 2009 packages that may prevent their being opened in the Studio 2014 version.

[Edited at 2013-10-02 10:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2014 error on opening package

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search