So do I install Trados 2011 or 2014?
Thread poster: Elvira Alves Barry

Elvira Alves Barry  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:29
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
Oct 3, 2013

Sorry if this sounds like a basic question, but maybe others are also wondering.

I've been working successfully with Trados 2009 for the last four years. Now, I've just received the new package containing 2011 along with 2014, and trying to figure out the best way to make the transition. Do I just skip over 2011 now and learn 2014? I guess 2009 won't be needed anymore. Plus what do I do with Trados 2007, which I never used much, since I learned the Studio format. Can I just delete the 2007 from my computer?

I know a lot of people have been using the 2011; are there any compatiblility issues with 2014?

Thanks for your imput.

Elvira


 

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 01:29
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
My opinion Oct 3, 2013

Elvira Alves Barry wrote:

Sorry if this sounds like a basic question, but maybe others are also wondering.

I've been working successfully with Trados 2009 for the last four years. Now, I've just received the new package containing 2011 along with 2014, and trying to figure out the best way to make the transition. Do I just skip over 2011 now and learn 2014? I guess 2009 won't be needed anymore. Plus what do I do with Trados 2007, which I never used much, since I learned the Studio format. Can I just delete the 2007 from my computer?

I know a lot of people have been using the 2011; are there any compatiblility issues with 2014?

Thanks for your imput.

Elvira


Keep 2007 as it can still do some tricks Studio can't.
Remove 2009 which is starting to be outdated
Skip 2011 as it's just part of the promotion
Install 2014 which has quite a few improvements.

That's it.

[Edited at 2013-10-03 15:38 GMT]


 

Elvira Alves Barry  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:29
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Enrico Oct 3, 2013

I was having a bit of software overload! What does 2007 do that Studio can't? Doesn't Studio now produce some type of unclean file? I know with 2009, I send the clean plus the tmx.

 

Robert Daraban  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:29
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Do not uninstall Studio 2009 Oct 3, 2013

Dear Elvira,

I do not recommend to uninstall SDL Trados Studio 2009. I purchsed Studio 2014 as well.

When I tried to uninstall Studio 2011, it wanted to uninstall SDL Pssolo 2011 as well. This might happen with Studio 2009 as well.

Studio 2009 has the basic licenses based on which you receive your updates. I do not think you want to lose it. Plus keep Trados 2007 as well. It might help you with the TagEditor function, if your client requests you to send back a bilingual .ttx file.

I now have on my computer all three Studio versions and the two Passolos, plus Trados 2007, and there is no problem.

Hopefully I was of help.

Kind regards,
Robert.


 

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:29
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Do not uninstall Studio 2009 Oct 3, 2013

Elvira,

Studio 2011 is more sensitive with Docs, and if I can't open the files with this version, it works with Studio 2009.

Geneviève


 

Elvira Alves Barry  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:29
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Oct 3, 2013

Robert and Geneviève! Looks like it's a good ideaa to keep everything.

 

Elvira Alves Barry  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:29
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oops Oct 3, 2013

sorry, I meant "idea". Fingers working faster than brain today!

 

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 01:29
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados 2007 Oct 4, 2013

Elvira Alves Barry wrote:

I was having a bit of software overload! What does 2007 do that Studio can't? Doesn't Studio now produce some type of unclean file? I know with 2009, I send the clean plus the tmx.



Hi Elvira.

Despite them being of the same breed and 2007 being a dinosaur it can still do something Studio can't.

- Tag manipulation is easier in 2007 than it is in Studio
- Source editing is better in Studio
- In my experience (for reasons that are beyond me) TagEditor and other third party CATs happened to be able to open files Studio would not open.

So while the 3 other versions of Studio share a same concept 2007 has some difference that makes it somewhat useful. The reason for not keeping multiple versions of Studio (I had 2009 and 2011 installed for years on top of 2007) is that since the 3 share the same software platform overall (And the same bugs more or less), i don't see why one should work with an obsolete version when the new one has the same bugs but also many improvements compared to the old version.
I am using 2014 and yes it has some bugs but i work on it and it's ok. However, i don't see many of the bugs affecting 2011, like all those crappy error messages relating "Instance of an object" [Edit: i had one, reported in another threadicon_smile.gif] etc. I only have 2 issues with 2014. A) Java issues with multiterm and B) When i go from 2011 to 2014 i have to reconfigure the languages as apparently they don't get along. As far as i know SDL has an update coming up. So, if i may suggest, i'd try and install 2014 and see if as is now it fits your needs then decide what to do. That's what i did. Installed it...and i didn't go back yet. It must mean something. But everyone has different needs and different sensibilities on issues so that is up to youicon_smile.gif.

Have a nice day.

Enrico

[Edited at 2013-10-04 15:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-04 15:11 GMT]


 

Pepe Sandoval  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:29
English to Spanish
Good to know you can have more than one version of Trados on your pc Nov 14, 2013

Robert Daraban wrote:

Dear Elvira,

I do not recommend to uninstall SDL Trados Studio 2009. I purchsed Studio 2014 as well.

When I tried to uninstall Studio 2011, it wanted to uninstall SDL Pssolo 2011 as well. This might happen with Studio 2009 as well.

Studio 2009 has the basic licenses based on which you receive your updates. I do not think you want to lose it. Plus keep Trados 2007 as well. It might help you with the TagEditor function, if your client requests you to send back a bilingual .ttx file.

I now have on my computer all three Studio versions and the two Passolos, plus Trados 2007, and there is no problem.

Hopefully I was of help.

Kind regards,
Robert.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

So do I install Trados 2011 or 2014?

Advanced search







Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search