https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/257444-how_to_keep_one_column_in_the_original_language_in_a_table_of_two_columns.html

How to keep one column in the original language in a table of two columns?
Thread poster: Małgorzata Gardocka
Małgorzata Gardocka
Małgorzata Gardocka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:09
Member (2010)
German to Polish
+ ...
Oct 7, 2013

Hello,

Lately I had a text to translate, which was written in two columns of a table in Microsoft Word format.
However, the outsourcer wanted only the right column to be translated, the left column had to be kept in the original language.
Is there a way to keep one column untranslated, when working in Trados 2011?

I have cut out the column, which had to be translated, pasted it into a new file and translated it with the help of Trados.
Unfortunately, w
... See more
Hello,

Lately I had a text to translate, which was written in two columns of a table in Microsoft Word format.
However, the outsourcer wanted only the right column to be translated, the left column had to be kept in the original language.
Is there a way to keep one column untranslated, when working in Trados 2011?

I have cut out the column, which had to be translated, pasted it into a new file and translated it with the help of Trados.
Unfortunately, when I copied it and pasted it into the original file, I have encountered graphic problems.

Hence my question in the title of this thread.
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:09
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I always do exactly what you did Oct 7, 2013

That's what I always do and never had any issues, other than the occasional bullet numbering that needs to be fixed on the right-hand column, but that doesn't take too long.

What kind of graphic problems did you find?

The other way of handling this is hiding the text on your left-hand column. To do this, in Word select the text you want to hide and choose Ctrl+Shift+H. Translate the file in Studio, then "unhide" the text again in Word, in the target file.

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
One more thing Oct 7, 2013

Nora Diaz wrote:

That's what I always do and never had any issues, other than the occasional bullet numbering that needs to be fixed on the right-hand column, but that doesn't take too long.

What kind of graphic problems did you find?

The other way of handling this is hiding the text on your left-hand column. To do this, in Word select the text you want to hide and choose Ctrl+Shift+H. Translate the file in Studio, then "unhide" the text again in Word, in the target file.

This is a very good method, but ensure that the checbox under Tools > Options > File types > Microsoft Word > Common > Extract hidden text for translation is unchecked.

A.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:09
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good point! Oct 7, 2013

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

This is a very good method, but ensure that the checbox under Tools > Options > File types > Microsoft Word > Common > Extract hidden text for translation is unchecked.

A.

And just to clarify, these are the options in Studio 2011, and apply only to the Microsoft Word 2007-2010 file type. No such checkbox exists for the Microsoft Word 2000-2003 file type.

Małgorzata Gardocka
Poland
Member (2010)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your help! Oct 7, 2013

Thank you Nora and Andrzej for your help!

Nora, you asked me what graphic problems did I encounter, when I pasted the text, translated with the help of Trados, into the source file.
The problem was that the column of the target translation reached beyond the page of the margin and that therefore the text was largely invisible.

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Solution Oct 8, 2013

Małgorzata Gardocka wrote:

Thank you Nora and Andrzej for your help!

Nora, you asked me what graphic problems did I encounter, when I pasted the text, translated with the help of Trados, into the source file.
The problem was that the column of the target translation reached beyond the page of the margin and that therefore the text was largely invisible.

Right-click the table, go to Properties and adjust the column size manually - Table - Size - Preferred width.

A.

Małgorzata Gardocka
Poland
Member (2010)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Andrzej! Oct 8, 2013

Thank you for the tip, Andrzej!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to keep one column in the original language in a table of two columns?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »