Studio 2014: only first four segments go to the TM
Thread poster: Olly Pekelharing

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:41
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
Oct 7, 2013

I had this strange problem with a word doc I received in a package. I started translating it but found I couldn't preview it. Turned out track changes was on in the original document. I had a copy of the original doc so turned off track changes in it and imported it into the project and continued translating. At some point I decided to delete the first sdlxliff but that was a bad idea as for some reason the other doc stopped working. No problem, I thought, I'll save the TM elsewhere and reimport the package. So I did, but for some reason, only the first 4 segments had been committed to the TM (I mean the saved TM, not the TM reimported with the package). Thankfully it was only a short document so I translated it again and sent off the sdlxliff (I couldn't create a package). Once I was sure the client safely had the translation I had another go. Same thing happened: all the segments were confirmed but when I reimported the package and used the original TM it only recognised the first 4 segments. Is this weird or am I missing something silly here?

Regards,

Olly

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
It sounds weird! Oct 7, 2013

Hi Olly,

I don't really follow what you did here, but is the point that you believe you confirmed the segments of a complete Project into your TM and yet only four of them are in there?

I'm not sure how to repro this myself, but if you can reliably reproduce this, and you are able to share the files with me so I can follow your steps, then I'll be pleased to take this, repro and submit to development for resolution if this is what happens.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hard to reproduce Oct 8, 2013

It's hard to reproduce. The original file comes with the following warning: This file was created using a file type definition that does not exist on your system (Word 2007 v1.0.0.0). I have Word 2010 so I don't understand that message. I have now succeeded in saving all the segments to another TM, so maybe I was pointing to the wrong TM all along (though I don't think so).

Regards,

Olly

United Kingdom
English
The message is clear... Oct 8, 2013

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

It's hard to reproduce. The original file comes with the following warning: This file was created using a file type definition that does not exist on your system (Word 2007 v1.0.0.0). I have Word 2010 so I don't understand that message. I have now succeeded in saving all the segments to another TM, so maybe I was pointing to the wrong TM all along (though I don't think so).

Regards,

Olly

... you have opened an SDLXLIFF created in an older version of the Product that used the 1.0.0.0 filter to extract the text.

The current version in 2014 is 2.0.0.0 and I think there were even some builds between this in 2011. So the package was probably created on an old version of Studio... maybe 2009? Can't recall.

Your version of Word has nothing to do with the reported version of the filter whatsoever.

It doesn't mean you won't be able to translate the file but it might mean some features are unavailable to you simply because the older version may not have prepared the sdlxliff in a way that makes it possible.

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
The message is clear... but rather worrying Oct 8, 2013

I believe this client still uses 2009, so that makes sense. But its worrying nonetheless. If backwards compatibility fails on a simple Word doc, what should I expect of more challenging projects in the future? The excellent previews are half the reason I like Studio and not having access to one is a nightmare. I never had this issue with 2011, by the way.

Regards,

olly

United Kingdom
English
Can I see the sdlxliff? Oct 8, 2013

If you are allowed to share this it would be useful?

Thanks

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Oct 8, 2013

Thanks to Paul's help, the problem has been solved. My client uses an older version of Studio and created a Word file with an older filter that caused the mix-up (if I've got it right).

United Kingdom
English
You have... Oct 8, 2013

... so for DOC files Studio 2009 and Studio 2014 use a filetype to convert to sdlxliff that is version 1.0.0.0.

For DOCX files Studio 2009 uses version 1.0.0.0 but Studio 2014 has moved onto version 2.0.0.0.

What this means is that if you create an sdlxliff in Studio 2009 from a DOCX and then open this sdlxliff in Studio 2014 you will still be able to translate the file, but you will lose some functionality such as preview, quickinserts, save as target for example. But you can translate the sdlxliff and send it back so your client can save the target. You just lose the ability to do this yourself.

The DOC filetype has remained pretty much the same as this is an old legacy filetype really. The DOCX filtype has changed considerably between 2009 and 2014 to enable many new features such as handling tracked changes in source and target, or saving comments from Studio into the fully formatted translated target DOCX.

I hope this is clear anyway.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014: only first four segments go to the TM

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search