Studio 2014 - Quick insert
Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:03
Member (2013)
German to English
Oct 8, 2013

Yes, "Quick" Insert rears its ugly head again. It's bad enough that SDL completely missed the bus with this major opportunity to sort out this irritating function (for instance, the fact that users have to learn different shortcuts for every single different file type they use and that is only IF the QuickInsert they want is even available!), but now I can't get the function (that only sporadically worked in 2009 and 2011) to work properly at all.

One of my major gripes with Studio, both as a translator and particularly as a proofreader, is that Studio does not allow you to type what MS calls "typographic quotes". (memoQ does this for you via autocorrect!). No "serious" text uses straight quotes, so I'm forever having to add them via shortcuts or change straight quotes that other translators have used because they're too lazy to figure it out for themselves.

I am sick to death of having to type ALT+147 for a left quote, ALT+148 for a right one, plus the single quotes. And sick of the fact that SDL only provides a QuickInsert for this for some file formats, and even then every file format has a different shortcut!

Rant over.icon_evil.gif

Problem description starts here:

I am currently editing an IDML document, for which there is no Quick Insert for typographic quotes. So I went to "Options" found the file type IDML and added a QuickInsert for quotes, called it "Quotes" and selected text pair (start quote/end quote) and the option "Display on toolbar"

So where is it now? It is not among the QuickInsert options on the Tool ribbon. In the options there was no possibility to specify a shortcut.

Did I do something wrong? Or is this a bug?

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Quick Insert Oct 8, 2013

... can be helpful but again it might not be the best solution if you want to standardise replacement, I use the following replacement rules with TermInjector and it works like a dream:

\“([A-Za-z]+)\” « \1 »
\‘([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+)\’ « \1 \2 \3 »
\‘([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+)\’ « \1 \2 »
\‘([A-Za-z]+)\’ « \1 »

In French. I think it's unfair to blame any CAT tool for not meeting your requirements when there are alternative options (and Studio is pratically the only CAT tool that provides these kind of options/plug-ins). If you multiply the number of Operating Systems x Number of Languages x Language Combinations x File Types x Number of poorly formatted source files x other unknown variables - statistically you're highly unlikely to ever get any bug free S/W, unless you're a dreamer but you may not be the only one.

Cheers,

Bernard

Germany
Member (2013)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
You may say I'm a dreamer ... Oct 8, 2013

but I'm not the only one.

Thanks for your helpful input Bernard. Many people have suggested solutions on this forum involving term injector and similar, but this is so complicated (as shown by your example) that I, and most other people, I'm sure, would not know where to start with something like that.

It's like asking the user to learn programming because the developers forgot to finish the software.

(I'm sure I could install TermInjector and adapt your existing solution, but that's not really the point, is it?)

To pick up on your second point. I think it is totally fair to blame ANY CAT tool that does not allow its users to add proper quotes.

It's supposed to be a language tool for goodness sake, yet does not provide any sensible option for adding a fundamental aspect of punctuation? Unbelievable, in my opinion. It's like supplying computer keyboards with a letter missing ...

English to French
+ ...
Not Complicated Oct 8, 2013

...Just a matter of using what is most efficient and reliable in the long run only takes a few minutes to see what might makes life easier with a few regex rules and can be further improved with replacement rules, i.e., delete xxx (translation) replaces enter, etc., really beats anything I've seen in other CAT tools.

Cheers,

Bernard

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Two things to note with QuickInserts Oct 8, 2013

Hello Nick,

You can add QuickInserts through File -> Options and then whenever you open your IDML (or whatever) or create a Project the QuickInsert will be available like this:

If you have received a package for example, and whoever created the package did not set this up to use a particular QuickInsert then you can add them yourself, but this time through the Project Settings rather than File -> Options. This is because the file has already been created. If you don't see it in the toolbar immediately try activating a different Project and then reactivating the one you were in... it may just be a refresh issue.

I understand what you mean about making this available all the time, but not all filetypes will support all the things that QuickInserts can be used for so they need to be customisable per filetype.

However, I do understand the issue and have had many conversations on this subject, especially around typographical quotes. I'm sure we'll see an improvement here in a later build.

In the meantime, you might also be interested to try AutoHotkey for this type of thing. The advantage here is that you get to use a smart quote facility for every single application you ever use on your computer... which may be a more desirable mechanism anyway?
Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2013-10-08 22:03 GMT]

Germany
Member (2013)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not complicated? Oct 8, 2013

Saying that users should come up with rules like
\‘([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+)\’ « \1 \2 \3 »
is not complicated and that it only means learning a "few regex rules" is like saying its not complicated climbing the Eifel Tower in your sleep.

What you find easy, Bernard, it simply impossible for a lot of people. I for one do not have time to learn regex and do not see why I should have add other software to do something that the program should as STANDARD.

I'm glad you find it easy and that it works for you, however. I wish I could get my head round stuff like that. But at the moment I simply do not have time ...

English to French
+ ...
Ok Oct 8, 2013

I find straight translation just boring, so any lateral thinking just makes my day. Check Paul's site (TermInjector, he's got a more devastating statement and also RegexBuddy - might convince you) anyway, glad to got you to smile!

Cheers,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-10-08 22:29 GMT]

Germany
Member (2013)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
That seems to do the trick Oct 8, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hello Nick,

You can add QuickInserts through File -> Options and then whenever you open your IDML (or whatever) or create a Project the QuickInsert will be available like this:

If you have received a package for example, and whoever created the package did not set this up to use a particular QuickInsert then you can add them yourself, but this time through the Project Settings rather than File -> Options. This is because the file has already been created. If you don't see it in the toolbar immediately try activating a different Project and then reactivating the one you were in... it may just be a refresh issue.

I understand what you mean about making this available all the time, but not all filetypes will support all the things that QuickInserts can be used for so they need to be customisable per filetype.

However, I do understand the issue and have had many conversations on this subject, especially around typographical quotes. I'm sure we'll see an improvement here in a later build.

In the meantime, you might also be interested to try AutoHotkey for this type of thing. The advantage here is that you get to use a smart quote facility for every single application you ever use on your computer... which may be a more desirable mechanism anyway?
Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2013-10-08 22:03 GMT]

Thanks Paul for your feedback.

As this is, in fact a customer package, I have tried adding it in the project settings, but this also requires closing and reopening the project before it appears in the task bar. (Are you saying that I would have to go through this rigmarole EVERY time the customer sends a package? That's madness!!)

Re your other point about some file formats not supporting certain formatting. Yes, I understand this, but leaving out something as basic as this that is available in practically every format that Studio can deal with seems very counterproductive.

Your suggestion regarding AutoHotkey is much like Bernard's regarding TermInjector - I simply do not see why I have to install additional software and learn scripting just to get the damned thing to do what it was supposed to do in the first place. AutoHotkey and TermInjector are NOT simple to use. And one look at the "Quick Start Guide" for AutoHotkey has me running with my tail between my legs. It's worse than the "solutions" you find on the Ubuntu forums!

I'm not a computer idiot, but neither am I a programmer and I can't get my head round scripts and I don't have the time to learn right now.

[Edited at 2013-10-08 22:22 GMT]

Germany
Member (2013)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for bringing a smile to my face! Oct 8, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

I find straight translation just boring, so any lateral thinking just makes my day.

Cheers,

Bernard

That made me chuckle! Merci!

United Kingdom
English
Or ask your client to add them to their filetype! Oct 8, 2013

Nick Quaintmere wrote:

I'm not a computer idiot, but neither am I a programmer and I can't get my head round scripts and I don't have the time to learn right now.

Perhaps if your client were to add the quotes to the filetype prior to creating the package (they would only need to do this once) then you wouldn't have to.

On AHK... interestingly enough I have seen users of other tools banging on about the merits of AHK for years and many translators have taken to it quite easily. Probably there is a mental block when you try to do it all yourself as the documentation can make tough reading.

Maybe this article would be an interesting way to get started : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-oR

Of course you're right... you don't have to do anything to achieve what you believe the software should do for you. But sometimes there are added benefits to this and it's worth the effort. I'm a bit like you and can put things too techy off at first... but once I get the idea I love it and AHK is brilliant. It's capable of doing far more than you would ever expect to see in Studio or any CAT tool, and then you can use it for everything.

Regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2013)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed! Oct 8, 2013

Of course, getting the client to do the work for me is the best solution! Chances of that happening with most clients, however, is not too goood!icon_biggrin.gif

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to figure out AHK at some stage.

United Kingdom
English
And just for fun.. Oct 8, 2013

.. you could also just use straight quotes and when you're done run a search and replace across the entire Project with something like this.

Search
(\s)"([\w|\s]+)"

Replace
$1“$2”

You can use the quickmerge to select all files, or if the files are too large to do this comfortably use the SDLXLIFF Toolkit as this also uses regex for search and replace.

Regards

Paul

Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Simple solution is there, why not to implement it? Oct 9, 2013

Kilgray was able to implement AutoCorect, is this really so hard in Studio? The feature is very easy to use and resolves not only the typographic quotes, but all possible typos, which can be simply added to the list. And you can have so many lists you want/need.
AutoCorrect was since long time on the wish list for "further development" (whatever this means). Is the development not yet so far?
I agree with Nick, that expecting, "standard" users will install and learn, how to use additional external tools or Regex and similar quite advanced features.
I don't want to blame any CAT tool, it have some highly advanced features implemented, but is replacing quotes something, developers can expect, the users will solve the issue, losing many hours to learn things like TermInjector, AHK or Regex only to have the problem of quotes resolved?
Even if SDL's way of thinking is this one: "Not all translators are power-users. This is bad. We will make them all power users.", please develop a special version "For Power Users Only" and let "regular" people to have standard things to work without additional courses, webinars, Internet researches a.s.o.
I'm the one (Paul, you will of course know this), who is inclined to learn new things, bu it is a very fundamental fact: the translator needs tools, which really help to do the translation. If the tools are very complicated or even need additional tools in order to achieve simple effects, the "golden rule" for something helping me to do my basic work is broken.
I'm speaking here, having only Studio 2011 in mind. I don't own 2014 and I'm still waiting for a trial, so I can see, what it is worth, before I buy. Do I expect too much?
And a short resumee: What Nick is writing ist just the MOST IMPORTANT POINT. Either a CAT developer is offering a complete tool/suite, or a skeleton only. If the last is the case, it would be fair, if the developer writes a white paper (which must be confirmed before the user is allowed to purchase), listing all important things, the software will do but also a list of important thing, the software will not do - in the last case giving detailled hints, with what advanced features of the software or eventually with which external tools those things can be achieved.
Regards
WJ

VIELLES Ophélie  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Transtools Apr 4, 2015

I know this thread is really old now, but I'd like to suggest Transtools utilities, an external and free program that will enable you to invoke special characters (the list is customizable) in any program by using a customizable shortcut (For instance, Ctrl-Win-S). I use French quotes on a regular basis and this small program proved to be useful in numerous circumstances (especially in Studio).

Link: http://www.translatortools.net/download.html#Utilities

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 - Quick insert

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search