How to change the default track changes on setting when opening a file for review in Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Chunyi Chen

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 19:40
English to Chinese
Oct 9, 2013

Hi! Can someone with advanced knowledge of Studio 2014 tell me whether I can change the default track changes on setting when I open a file for review? The Quick Start Guide says this feature is automatically turned on when an sdlxliff file is opened for review. I am working on an editing project in Studio where the client doesn't want track changes on. So every time I open a file for review, I need to manually use Ctrl+Alt+F9 to turn off the feature.

Is there a way to change this default setting to "off" until enabled? Alternatively, if I manually turn it off, is there a way to make Studio remember my preference and have this feature stayed off next time I open the same file for review?

Thank you!

Chun-yi

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:40
English
Track Changes Settings Oct 9, 2013

Hello Chun-yi,

It's not too tricky... you can go to File -> Options -> Editor -> Track Changes from anywhere, or if you have a file open for Review or Translation use the little "dinky" here in the Review Ribbon (I have no idea what this is called!):

Both take you to the place where you just check or uncheck the option.

Regards

Paul

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Dinky Oct 9, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

use the little "dinky" here in the Review Ribbon (I have no idea what this is called!):

Microsoft calls it a "dialog box launcher", but I much prefer "dinky"

Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Done! Oct 9, 2013

Hi Paul,

It was so easy!! Thank you for sharing your expert knowledge with me--saves me a few mouse clicks every time I open a file for review.
And it's good to know there are two ways to get to where these settings are. The traditional (non-ribbon) way seems more straight forward, but the ribbon way is more visual and interesting. I like the ribbon way!

Chun-yi

SDL Support wrote:

Hello Chun-yi,

It's not too tricky... you can go to File -> Options -> Editor -> Track Changes from anywhere, or if you have a file open for Review or Translation use the little "dinky" here in the Review Ribbon (I have no idea what this is called!):

Both take you to the place where you just check or uncheck the option.

Regards

Paul

Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
I learned a new word today Oct 9, 2013

Hi Emma and Paul,

Thank you for pointing out this interesting word--I would just browse through it without really thinking what it means.

Anyway, out of curiosity I googled it and found out two definitions on the web:

: overly or unattractively small ; also British : attractively small : cute

I am sure SDL used the second definition for "dinky":)

Chun-yi

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

use the little "dinky" here in the Review Ribbon (I have no idea what this is called!):

Microsoft calls it a "dialog box launcher", but I much prefer "dinky"

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Dinkies Oct 9, 2013

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

definition for "dinky":)

So glad you like the word, Chun-yi!
I do too and have just added a link to this thread in my blog post on dinkies and other new features in Studio:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/01/studio-2014-part-1/

Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
another great resource Oct 10, 2013

Thank you for sharing the link, Emma.
I found your other article on Studio 2014 very helpful as well.

http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/09/studio-2014-part-2/

Chun-yi

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I do too and have just added a link to this thread in my blog post on dinkies and other new features in Studio:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/01/studio-2014-part-1/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change the default track changes on setting when opening a file for review in Studio 2014?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search