Studio 2014: adding files to a project
Thread poster: philwhite

philwhite
Local time: 02:28
German to English
Oct 10, 2013

If I add a file to an existing project by first switching to the source language and choosing Add File, the Batch Tasks menu in the Home ribbon is empty, and I cannot prepare the file for translation. If I right click on the file I have just added, the appropriate batch tasks are available. Does anyone know of any reason why they are missing from the ribbon menu?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Two things... Oct 10, 2013

Hi Phil,

First of all you don't need to switch to the source language with 2014 anymore.

Second thing... sounds as though you are trying to add a file to a single file project and not a Standard Studio Project.

The single file projects are designed to provide a simple way to handle one file at a time for anyone who doesn't wish to use Projects, or Project Templates for example. So it's one file at a time. If this is the way you work then you need to just open this new file for translation and select the TM and Languages used in the single file project you created earlier.

If you take a look in the Projects View you will see in the Type column the types of Projects you have created.

Regards

Paul

philwhite
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I have always used projects Oct 10, 2013

No, I only ever use projects. I have never worked any other way with Studio.

I have just added another file to the project, without first switching to the source language, and the system implicitly switches me to the source language. If I now click on Batch Tasks in the Home ribbon, the list contains only the grayed-out entry "Custom". If I write-click the new file, I can select "Prepare" from the batch tasks. I cannot understand why the option (which is needed in order to prepare the file at all) is available on a right-click and not from the ribbon.

[Edited at 2013-10-10 13:38 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
Me neither... Oct 10, 2013

... the only way I can repro this, and I can, is if I have a file that is already prepared highlighted and then I click on Batch tasks. But when I do this (with my new file and an existing one highlighted) then right click it also says custom only.

But if I add a file and only select that file then all is well.

I can't think of any other way to reproduce this behaviour... unless perhaps the file isn't translatable? But even then the right-click gives me the same info as the Batch tasks.

I'm quite confused by this... would be useful if anyone else could confirm they have this problem.

Regards

Paul

philwhite
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
That explains it Oct 10, 2013

When you first add a file, it is not selected automatically, so if you click Batch tasks in the Home ribbon, you get an empty menu.

If you right click on the new file,, the options are there because you have implicitly selected the file by right clicking on it.

As far as I remember, Studio 2011 simply prepared any files that you added,, irrespective of whether they were selected or not, so the option was always available in the menu.

This means that you simply have to remember to activate (highlight) any and all new files before choosing the options from the ribbon.

Just a few extra keystrokes (I don't use a mouse) to increase my productivity and prevent my brain cells from ossifying.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Paul.

United Kingdom
English
I don't think so... Oct 10, 2013

philwhite wrote:

As far as I remember, Studio 2011 simply prepared any files that you added,, irrespective of whether they were selected or not, so the option was always available in the menu.

... in 2011 it was the same. You have to select the file or Studio has no idea which files you want to apply this to.

2011... so long ago alreadyicon_wink.gif

Regards

Paul

philwhite
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Oct 10, 2013

No, you didn't have to select newly added files before selecting Prepare… from Project/Batch Tasks. I just switched back to Studio 2011 (selected five languages, three of which I do not need – reminds me of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch 1) and tried it. As I said above, it just prepared whatever was new, irrespective of whether it was selected. Now I shall revisit the Antiochian WMD and switch back to 2014...

1) Five shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be five. Six shalt thou not count, neither count thou four, excepting that thou then proceed to five. Seven is right out. Once the number five, being the fifth number, be reached...

VaclavCermak
Czech Republic
Why so complicated? Jan 30, 2014

Trados Studio 2014 is said to be very intuitive. Well, its not. If I want to add a file to my project why doesn't it get prepared the same way as other files (already in the project) are automatically? Why do I have to search forums to get this working and finally do it manually?

Some stuff is somewhat "user hostile" and some solutions feel like scratching your right ear with your left leg...

If any SDL programmer reads this - please, please - SIMPLIFY!

[Edited at 2014-01-30 14:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-01-30 14:52 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Pros and cons of automatic processes Jan 30, 2014

VaclavCermak wrote:

If I want to add a file to my project why doesn't it get prepared the same way as other files (already in the project) are automatically?

The files in a project might have been prepared in different ways because you can edit your project settings at any point during the project.

I like to have the chance to change a setting before I process the added file (change to another TM, change a field, etc.). If I don't need to make any changes it's as simple as one right click, choose the batch task and then click finish.

If any SDL programmer reads this - please, please don't simplify this process. icon_smile.gif

United Kingdom
English
Any suggestions? Jan 30, 2014

VaclavCermak wrote:

Some stuff is somewhat "user hostile" and some solutions feel like scratching your right ear with your left leg...

If any SDL programmer reads this - please, please - SIMPLIFY!

Hi,

I prepared a quick video to show the process in Studio 2014 : http://youtu.be/bR1a2gsUaMM

I think it is fairly straightforward, but we are always interested in constructive suggestions.

Regards

Paul

philwhite
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
No problem either way Jan 30, 2014

My initial post and Paul's answer were perfectly straightforward. It merely threw me that the process no longer worked in the same way as with Studio 2011. The way that it works now makes perfect sense once you know, although I cannot really see the reason for changing it. In Studio 2011, choosing "Prepare" without selecting any files prepared those files that have not previously been prepared. It still took you through the wizard, so you could make any changes to the parameters that you needed for that particular run.

It is now different, but no great benefit or loss either way.

Paola Jiménez
Mexico
Local time: 19:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Solution May 22, 2014

Hi! I don't know if it's too late or not, but what I was in the same situation, I added a new file to an existing project and the batch tasks were empty and a (no tasks availabe) option was grayed out. What I realized, all of a sudden, was that the project that I re-opened to add a new file was already marked as "Completed" in the Projects view, so what I did to fix this is that I marked it as in progress.

So, once more, I added the file and after doing this, the batch tasks were enabled!

Hope this helps

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014: adding files to a project

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search