Is it possible to create (and save) bilingual documents with Trados 2011?
Thread poster: gp85
gp85
Belgium
Local time: 04:37
English to French
+ ...
Oct 11, 2013

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if it is possible to create (and save) bilingual documents with Trados 2011, just as it was the case with Trados 2007.

Thank you for your help!

Georges

[Modifié le 2013-10-11 09:31 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
English to Italian
Info Oct 11, 2013

Hello
I am from SDL.

In Studio 2011 when you click on File - Save... this will save an SDLXLiff file which is a Studio bilingual file.

Save TARGET - creates the translated file in the original file format.

If you need to send a file for review to people who do not have Studio - you can select File - Export for REVIEW and this will create a Word file which can be opened by anyone. You can then import the file back.

There is not in Studio anymore the concept of Translator's Workbench and translating inside Word directly - ie creating a Word Bilingual file which you can work on.

However - Studio 2011 can open an old Word Bilingual file and this can then be saved into an old word bilingual fully translated. Note that you would save both
1) SAVE - THis generates a Studio bilingual
2) SAVE TARGET - This generates the old Word Bilingual.

Perhaps too much information - but please let me know if this is not clear and I could try to help further.

Regards
Massi

gp85
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2011 Oct 11, 2013

Ok, thank you for the swift reply! This is what I actually wanted to know.

Sometimes, I work for the European Union via translation agencies and the European institutions always ask for bilingual files.

So when a small translation must be performed, I can do it with Word and then the agency works on the file in order to send a bilingual version to the final client (time-consuming procedure...).

But when a larger project comes, a CAT tool is mandatory. In this case, I should only use Trados 2007 or Wordfast which permit the creation of bilingual files... Currently, I have none of them, though I learned the use of Trados 2007.

I was considering investing in the new version of Trados as well as in a new computer but if it cannot permit the creation of bilingual files, I am not sure anymore to do so.

Georges

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Bilingual Files. Oct 11, 2013

Hi Georges,

Bilingual Files in our world can be BilingualDOC, TTX, XLF, ITD and SDLXLIFF. I think the EU are likely to be using SDLXLIFF predominantly pretty soon as this is the replacement for all the other four.

But having said all of this if you have to create Bilingual files you need to have the appropriate software to do this and with Studio, and the platform it is built on, you can create SDLXLIFF, BilingualDOC and TTX. STudio natively uses SDLXLIFF but there is an application on the SDL OpenExchange called LegIt! that works if you have Studio 2014 installed that will create BilingualDOC or TTX for you very easily. Maybe this is what you need if you don't already have a copy of Trados anyway?

There's an article from Nora Diaz on this application here : http://goo.gl/oIK69T

In addition, in case you're interested, there is also a compatibility document you can download here that covers off many scenarios for working between the old legacy bilingual formats.

Regards

Paul

gp85
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2011 Oct 11, 2013

Thanks a lot!

Georges

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:37
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TRADOS 2007 Trial version or WordFast 3.35x (free version) Oct 11, 2013

If your purpose is just working with Word files, and generating and saving bilingual files, I can supply you any of them just for you to get the grip about how they work.

While WF 3.35x is fully functional, TRADOS 2007 Trial is limited to 100 TUs; this limitation has no meaning if you only pretend to generate bilingual files (doc, ttx).

Saludos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to create (and save) bilingual documents with Trados 2011?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search