Steve Erpelding  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:09
French to German
+ ...
Oct 11, 2013

Hi,

I've got two questions regarding the installation of Trados 2014:
does someone have an idea how to interpret the following sentence in the installation manual for Trados 2014:
======
http://downloadcentre.sdl.com/T2014/SDL_Trados_Studio_2014_Installation_Guide.pdf
=>
If you currently have a previous version of SDL Trados or SDLX installed, you do not need to
uninstall them before installing SDL Trados Studio 2014. The new version of the software will be
installed side-by-side with previous versions of the software.
====

I mean why should we leave the old version installed? Are there any serious imcompatibility issues we should be aware of?

I followed this step, means I left 2011 installed on my PC, and upgraded directly to 2014. Since then I've got the following scenario:

1. 2014 runs fine
2. when I open 2011, it wants me to reconfigure it from the scratch, I need to add the languages again, etc.
3. As it occupies more than 800MB and I don't really see the need to have it installed, I tried to uninstall it, but Windows claims that there's a problem with the registry now. I go the same error message when I try to launch a repair.

Anyone else has the same issue?

kind regards,

Steve

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
A known problem Oct 11, 2013

The problem with reconfiguration has been mentioned here on this forum by many people already. SDL are aware of the problem. However, once you have 2014 installed, there is no real reason to open 2011 any more. Even if you have unfinished projects, you can simply open them in 2014 and continue (you may have to inform the program where TMs and Term Bases are stored, but otherwise there shouldn't be any problem).

I have not tried to de-installed 2011 yet, so I am unaware of any problem with that. It may just be you. Try re-installing 2011 and then de-installing - that might help. If not, post here again.

(Note: Once de-installed, you will lose your "extra" activation for this instance).

Spain
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Registry repair Oct 11, 2013

Hi Nick,

thanks, after a registry repair with the Glary registry repair tool I managed to get rid of SDL 2011. Any idea why SDL wants us to keep the old software installed?

cheers,

Steve

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Nobody wants you to keep old software. Oct 11, 2013

Steve Erpelding wrote:

Hi Nick,

thanks, after a registry repair with the Glary registry repair tool I managed to get rid of SDL 2011. Any idea why SDL wants us to keep the old software installed?

cheers,

Steve

But the first question most users ask is how to deal with the previous version. Uninstall it if you like... or keep it. The choice is yours.

The licence you get for 2014 will licence 2011 as well which means you can run them both on the same machine only. If you uninstall and decide to reinstall later... no problem as the same rule applies.

Regards

Paul

Spain
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reason x? Oct 11, 2013

Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply. I may repeat myself, but I'd like to know why SDL mentions as the very first option to keep the previous version installed, I mean, if you upgrade from MS Office 2003 to 2007 for instance, you wouldn't even think about keeping the old version installed, you would uninstall the old one immediately.

cheers,

Steve

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Who knows... Oct 12, 2013

Steve Erpelding wrote:

Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply. I may repeat myself, but I'd like to know why SDL mentions as the very first option to keep the previous version installed, I mean, if you upgrade from MS Office 2003 to 2007 for instance, you wouldn't even think about keeping the old version installed, you would uninstall the old one immediately.

cheers,

Steve

... we've got too start somewhere and this is a question that comes up every time we release a new version.

No conspiracy theory here.

Regards

Paul

Spain
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
my advise Oct 12, 2013

Hi,

for those who'll upgrade in the future, my advise is to ignore the installation guide (based on "who knwos" theories), uninstall you previous SDL verisons (exept 2007) and do a clean installation of 2014, it will spare you some trouble.

cheers,

steve

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:09
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Reason to keep 2011 Oct 13, 2013

There are good reasons to keep 2011 even after installing 2014. One, for example, is that not all Open Exchange add-ins have been upgraded to the 2014 version. For instance, if you rely on the Term Injector add-in, it won't work (yet) with 2014.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Trick Oct 13, 2013

Hi Riccardo,

Does work just copy the plug-in to the right folder:

c:\Users\[UserName]AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10\Plugins\Packages\TermInjector.sdlplugin to same but 11!

Same trick works for MyMemory - just restart 2014 after copying the plug-ins.

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-10-13 03:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-13 03:13 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Blog post on installing Studio 2014 Oct 13, 2013

Steve's link above to the pdf installation guide is a good place to go for all the details on installing Studio 2014. For a quick step-by-step guide, I wrote a short post on how to upgrade from Studio 2011 to 2014:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/03/upgrade/

Re: whether to have Studio 2011 running side by side with Studio 2014:

• One reason to keep 2011 on your machine is to make sure 2014 is installed and running successfully before you uninstall 2011.

• Another is to compare the two versions. When I find something new in Studio 2014 I like to go back and check if it was really there in 2011 and I hadn't realised. If a shortcut seems to have changed, I like to go back and see if I'm remembering it correctly from 2011. Now I go back and am amazed how "old" the interface feels!

• Another reason to keep 2011 is that if there's a problem saving a file or other glitch, it's quite nice to be able to see if I can reproduce it in 2011, see if it's a bug in 2014, or see if it's just me doing something wrong.

Apart from the current issue of having to set up your 5 languages in the Freelance version when switching between 2011 and 2014, there's really no problem in having both of them there. For me, using up 800MB of space to keep 2011 on my hard disk isn't an issue.

And you can even install and license both versions on a new computer when you buy one (returning your license on your old machine first) unlike the previous 2009/2011 situation.

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:09
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks, Bernard! Oct 22, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Hi Riccardo,

Does work just copy the plug-in to the right folder:

c:\Users\[UserName]AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10\Plugins\Packages\TermInjector.sdlplugin to same but 11!

Same trick works for MyMemory - just restart 2014 after copying the plug-ins.

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-10-13 03:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-13 03:13 GMT]

Thank you Bernard, very useful!

Spain
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Oct 30, 2013

Hi again,

I think I found the reason. There really seems to be a severe compatibility issue between packages created in 2009/2011 and the new 2014 version. I had the case twice in one week now, that I translated packages created in 2011 in the new 2014 version. After having sent back the packages, the client coulnd't find any translated segments in it, although the package is fine when we open it with the package reader. Also the sdlxliff files are perfectly fine and 100% translated when I open them with an editor (xliff editor, ocelot or Virtaal).

Could someone from SDL shed some light on this issue?

kind regards,

Steve

Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
WoWooooooo Nov 12, 2013

Only WoWoooooooo

A very very useful discussion full of experienced Prozians.

I am proud of all of you, indeed..

Many thanks for any body put one letter in this thread.

I've installed a new Windows 8 Prof. licensed version on my laptop. Installed my Studio 2011 and 2007 also yesterday. I purchased the 2014 upgrade less than 1 hour ago. I did not mount my projects before the new OS, means that my 2011 version is blank of projects, but I will leave my 2011 version to avoid receiving translation packages received from my clients.

When SDL finalizes all solutions and overcome issues may arise between 2014 and older Studios, then I (we) can say Bye for 2011 and thanks for its help in the previous period.

Many thanks for your help dears.

Best,
Ehab

Spain
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 years later Jul 17, 2015

Hi again,

nearly two years later the same subject comes up again. The new version 2105 has been released and ... quote from the installation guide:

If you currently have a previous version of SDL Trados or SDLX installed, you do not need to
uninstall them before installing SDL Trados Studio 2015. The new version of the software will be installed side-by-side with previous versions of the software.

So if I hadn't uninstalled the previous versions I would have Studio 2009, Studio 2011, Studio 2014 and Studio 2015 installed on the same PC. Maybe the time has come to update the installation manual, don't you think? Why should I keep three more versions of the same software on my computer (which I can't use because the licence of the previous versions has been deactivated?)

cheers

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:09
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Multiple installations. Jul 17, 2015

Hi Steve,

We do this to provide the greatest amount of flexibility possible.

Of course, when you 'upgrade' you would expect to lose the previous version as in your earlier example with MS Office.
However a great number of translators prefer (at least in the early days) to have the security of a tried and trusted version that they can rely on until they have mastered the new version and are ready to migrate.
Therefore its easier for us and more comfortable for translators to allow this option, rather than 'force' an upgrade to the new version immediately especially as most translators will have on going projects they don't want to disrupt.

Kind regards

Steve
CxD

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014 installation

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search