Thread poster: Heike Reagan

Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:44
Member (2004)
German to English
Oct 13, 2013

Hello all,
I just downloaded Studio 2014 - former WF user - please talk to me as if I was 2 years old
My client requests that I use Trados Studio. One of my largest clients, otherwise I wouldn't even mess with this....

They send an xml file and a "constants.txt" file.
I'm only supposed to translate specific cells in the xml file.
After 6 hours of reading through manuals I can open the xml file and even figured out how to link it to a TM but of course it now displays all cells in the editor window, not only the ones I'm supposed to translate.
I guess this is where the "constants.txt" file comes in but I can't figure out how to plug this in.
The manuals seem to send me back and forth between "add/edit/copy rule" and "parser page" instructions but neither one actually tells me how to get to any of these dialog windows....
Help?

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:44
English
Custom XML Files Oct 13, 2013

Hello Heike,

An XML file can be anything... that is it's created following some rules in the application using it that won't necessarily be the same as another XML file you see elsewhere.

So, what you have to know is which parts of the XML need to be translated and which don't. Once you know this you would create a custom XML file that only extracted the parts you needed. Hopefully your client gave you this information?

Now, when you open the XML in Studio without creating a custom XML filetype Studio will just expose all the elements it finds based on a default set up. Clearly not something you want. The product help does explain how to create a custom XML filetype here : http://goo.gl/7TFXmJ but I'm not sure it's that easy to follow if you are new to the terminology being used, or if you are not too familiar with how an XML file is made up.

The TXT file you have sounds more like a WF Translation Memory... but perhaps it contains instructions in a text file for you to read?

If you are allowed feel free to send me the XML file and whatever information you have explaining what is translatable and what is not and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

David Berry-Lichtenberg
Local time: 21:44
German to English
Translating xml with Studio 2014? Oct 15, 2013

Hello everyone,

I have received a package of xml and html files for translation. How do I find out what kind of xml it is and how to go about trying to translate them? I tried to simply start a project and included the folders which contained the xml and html files - but the html files were marked up as reference only and the xml files apparently had no content.

Thanks for any help
Dave

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie question - constants and xml

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search