MultiTerm 2004 broken after Java 7 Update 45 install
Thread poster: jimshanks
jimshanks
Local time: 23:41
Dutch to English
Oct 16, 2013

After installing the latest release of Java this morning MT 2014 has ceased to function correctly.
The shortcut now appears with an administrator symbol on it and running as administrator launches the program OK but it no longer functions correctly.
The problem I have encountered, and it may not be the only one, is that after searching for duplicate terms (which works OK) editing any of the duplicate terms results in a blank pane and only leaving editing mode will restore the pane to showing terms.
The Java curse strikes once again - I have not yet opened Studio 2014 since the install and sincerely hope that it has not broken Studio too!

Direct link Reply with quote

rnunner
Spain
Local time: 00:41
German to Spanish
+ ...
Java 7.45 Oct 16, 2013

It's not only MultiTerm 2014, the 2011 version crashes the same with the new Java update.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:41
Finnish to French
Works with Update 40 Oct 16, 2013

FWIW, Multiterm 2014 works with Java 7 Update 40, which I reinstalled immediately after Studio/MultiTerm 2014 has put the outdated version included with the installer:

I didn't know Update 45 was out. Will try to see if it manages to upset MultiTerm

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Works OK with Update 45 as well Oct 16, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
I didn't know Update 45 was out. Will try to see if it manages to upset MultiTerm

Just installed Update 45 (both 32- and 64-bit) on my 64-bit Win 7 Pro workhorse:

Both Studio 2014 and MultiTerm 2014 appear to be still functional. I also have the latest version of Java 6 (also Update 45), both 32- and 64-bit, for those Java applications that still require the older Java.

jimshanks
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Same version of MT 2014 Oct 16, 2013

I have the same version of MT 2014. I opened it this morning and it told me Java was out of date. It tried to install a new version of Java from within MT 2014 but failed. I downloaded the installer from Java's web site and uninstalled all previous version (this is also an option on the website after Java checks that it has installed correctly - which mine did.).
As above, installed Java from the download and enabled the plugin in my browser (IE 10).
After rebooting the PC the symptoms mentioned in my first post appeared!
Waiting now for a patch/comment from SDL through this site - I have not raised it as a support issue yet!

Tim Parker  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
Java 7 update 45 also messes up MT viewer in 2011 Oct 16, 2013

Hi just updated Java to update 45 this morning, as prompted from within MT and it messed up my MT viewer, couldn't add new terms in Studio 2011.
Removed the update and went back to update 25 (I run both 32-bit and 64-bit).
All back to normal. So I'll put off the update until it's sorted out.

Robert Zwanenberg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Back to 7.25 Oct 16, 2013

I experienced the same problem this morning: editing in Multiterm 2011 and 2014 was no longer possible after installing Java 7.45. I removed Java 7.45 and went back to 7.25. I have switched off the automatic Java updates again, since Trados and Java still seem to have problems every now and then.

Gripen
Netherlands
If you have updated... Oct 16, 2013

First off, as far as I know there is no need to install two versions of the java runtime environment. If you have a 64bit OS just install the 64bit version, if you have 32bit install 32bit version.

JAVA 7 - Update 25 seems to work correctly and I can confirm that is also what is included in the RTM build of Trados Studio 2014 and MultiTerm 2014.
Java installer filename: jre-7u25-windows-i586.exe

So if you have upgraded and stuff stops working...
1. Uninstall all versions of JAVA 7.
2. Install jre-7u25-windows-i586.exe
(if you have the installer of MT or TS2014 just run it and goto: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\SDL\SDLMultiTerm2014\modules or C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\SDL\SDLTradosStudio2014\modules and run the installer)

J.

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:41
Chinese to English
Thanks all Oct 16, 2013

Same for me, reverted to Java 7.25 and Multiterm is once more functional.

jimshanks
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
SLD Response in another thread Oct 16, 2013

There is another thread from SDL Support detailing how they are working on this to overcome problems introduced by changes made to Java by Oracle!

The thread title is:

SDL MultiTerm/Studio 2014 add/edit terms not working after Java 7 Update 45 installation.

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:41
Chinese to English
Any progress on this? Oct 28, 2013

Just wanted to ask if this bug has been fixed yet? I've had a Studio update, don't know if part of that was to resolve this issue?

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Nothing yet Oct 28, 2013

For more details, see Paul Filkin's post in this thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/258428-studio_2014_update_11036360.html

Hannu Jaatinen  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2006)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Disable next generation plug-in from Control Panel - Java Oct 28, 2013

Hi,

I've disabled the Next generation plug-in option now on two computers and MT works like a charm

HTH, Hannu Jaatinen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2004 broken after Java 7 Update 45 install

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search