Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is Studio 2014 really so bad to not have a trial?
Thread poster: Wladyslaw Janowski

Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
German to Polish
+ ...
Oct 16, 2013

SDL Studio seems to be the only one CAT-tool on the market, which is released but cannot be tried out before the purchase (look on memoQ, DVX, Across, Transit, CafeTran ...). No trial available. Support's answer: will be available "in next weeks". Sounds like many user's requested features or improvements, which should be implemented "in one of the next builds" but as years go by, they are still not.
"Try before you buy" is a golden rule for software. Not for "giants" like SDL. If you don't like to pay blind, please go to hell and don't disturb us at work.
It's a kind of blackmail. But fortunately Studio is not unique. If it is (look marketing slogans - seeming to be the most productive division at SDL) really "unrivalled", why not to let potential buyers test it some weeks? They will 100% fall in love and buy wildly. But perhaps is SDL not interested at all to let such treasure spread to much among translators, LSP's or enterprises (all potential competitors of SDL Languave Services!)?
But because I'm very, very old Trados user and have a kind of sentiment to the software, perhaps SDL would be so kind and let me see this MIRACLE? If needed, I would of course sign a binding declaration, that I will never purchase it.
Or is all I wrote here only a product of sick imagination? And I'm simply missing the fact, that the trial is available since the X day?
Sincerely yours
Wladyslaw Janowski

[Edited at 2013-10-16 09:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-16 09:04 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:37
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Is this really a support question? Oct 16, 2013

.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course it is Oct 16, 2013

IrimiConsulting wrote:

.

I'm registered user of Studio, having license but no PSMA. So the only support option I have is the "live chat", where it was told me, what I cited here "next weeks". Another one is to post here, because I'm registered PROZ user also and I have the right to post here. If the moderator believs, it is not the right forum to post on, please let me know ... I will post it in another place.
Regards
WJ
PS: and yes, I do need a help from SDL's support (to get a more detailed answer, when the trial will be available). The "comment" part in my post is a lot sneering but not offending. What I need, is in fact to get a trial.

[Edited at 2013-10-16 09:18 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:37
Finnish to French
Similar situation with Studio 2011 Oct 16, 2013

Wladyslaw Janowski wrote:
SDL Studio seems to be the only one CAT-tool on the market, which is released but cannot be tried out before the purchase (look on memoQ, DVX, Across, Transit, CafeTran ...). No trial available. Support's answer: will be available "in next weeks".

FWIW, the situation was exactly the same with Studio 2011, as you can read from this old thread.

Back in early October 2011, SDL support promised the trial version would be available "in around 3-4 weeks", but it was not until late February 2012 this actually happened.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:37
English to Italian
Info Oct 16, 2013

Hello
I'm from SDL.
We are working on readying a trial so we can launch this as soon as possible and to enable us to more quickly update the downloadable files. Our current mechanism does not enable us to quickly update the Studio file which means that you might need to download a patch or a hotfix once we launch them.
We are working on a new way to deliver the trial to enable us to quickly update the exe file so anyone downloading the trial always receive the most up to date file.
We are aiming to have a trial live by the end of October.
In order to improve the trial experience we are redeveloping some of the pages and delivery mechanisms.
We do care about all our customers and prospects and I am sorry you feel our page gives you a feeling of do not disturb message. It was certainly not our intention.
We wanted to make sure we collect the emails of anyone who requires the trial so we can notify them as soon as it is available.

Best regards
Massimo


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Old story once more Oct 16, 2013

ghislandi wrote:

Hello
I'm from SDL.
We are working on readying a trial so we can launch this as soon as possible and to enable us to more quickly update the downloadable files. Our current mechanism does not enable us to quickly update the Studio file which means that you might need to download a patch or a hotfix once we launch them.
We are working on a new way to deliver the trial to enable us to quickly update the exe file so anyone downloading the trial always receive the most up to date file.
We are aiming to have a trial live by the end of October.
In order to improve the trial experience we are redeveloping some of the pages and delivery mechanisms.
We do care about all our customers and prospects and I am sorry you feel our page gives you a feeling of do not disturb message. It was certainly not our intention.
We wanted to make sure we collect the emails of anyone who requires the trial so we can notify them as soon as it is available.

Best regards
Massimo

Hi Massimo,
Thank you for your instant reply Indeed it would be better to get the trial then a new a bit too complicated clarification, why it is not available.
I understand, that you are probably from Marketing and you cannot give another explanation.
I'm sorry, but your argument about patching a.s.o. is not convincing at all. Why?
Because the same problem (which you want to avoid we experience) of updating, patching, hotfixing a.s.o. must concern also people, who purchased 2014 (no matter if as new license or as upgrade). So if the paid users can/must update (very frequently?) their "final" release via autoupdate feature, why can trial users not use the same?
Also remember, that the intention of trial users is to try the software (as base for purchasing decision), not to use it to work on real projects, so it's not so vital, if the trial is the last build/patch available. It must simply work, so the potential buyer can look, what's there and if he/she likes the software. If you believe, the software is ready to sell, why don't you believe, it's ready to try?
With this explanation I must unfortunately live with the conviction, 2014 is in fact NOT READY (not stable enough, features not working as expected a.s.o.). You will of course remember, how was the status of 2009 when it was released? And 2011? Is 2014 the same story?
Logically, if I had purchased (or pre-ordered and pre-paid) the final release, SDL is selling since some weeks, I would probably try to use the "money-back" option (if there is any) and wait until the software is REALLY release-ready.
Regards
WJ

[Edited at 2013-10-16 10:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-16 10:28 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:37
Italian to English
+ ...
Money Back Option Oct 17, 2013

Is there one? Luckily I haven't activated my 2014 upgrade yet.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please respect http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 , http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/5#5 and http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/4#4

Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To trial or not to trial, thats ... Oct 17, 2013

Dear SDL,
I was just about to post some words about my imagination, what a trial version of any software could be (look the post of Massimo Ghislandi about how hard SDL developers must work to produce a trial), but ... what coincidence! I just see a very new post about 2014 turning what? ... trial of course, after the user upgraded his Windows to Windows 8.
So I got the answer from rather unexpected source! Now I know firmly (what I only suspected) - trial is the same software as the commercial one, but ... working without valid license, so it is automatically timely limited and usable as trial only.
Well - no need to reinvent the wheel (sorry ... the TRIAL), Dear SDL. Simply set the link to the 2014 installer on the homepage of your website (rather right place for such big marketing) and we get a trial without additional hard work of your developers. Because if we have no activation code, Studio will work as trial. Is this simple?
Look for instance here http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html?promoid=JZEFS. Adobe ist just not known for giving their software for free (of course Adobe products are not so PROFESSIONAL as those from SDL, are they?). I can also get free trial of Microsoft Office. Or any of anrivirus/internet security programs.
Or memoQ. Or any other CAT tool.
Why not Studio?
You have invested in a rather long marketing campaign. If there is no trial, the world will forget the campaign and you will loose "prospects".
Is this my problem? Yes, it is. I'm among prospects and maybe I woul be convinced, that Studio 2014 is once more a leading software on a CAT market.
In the meantime I know only this: SDL has made very good deal, when it purchased Trados. Because Trados is still leading format on the market. Not STUDIO! Or you may want to let me see instead of guess?
WJ


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:37
German to Spanish
??? Oct 17, 2013

ghislandi wrote:

Hello
I'm from SDL.

We wanted to make sure we collect the emails of anyone who requires the trial so we can notify them as soon as it is available.

Best regards
Massimo


???

The squeaky wheel gets the grease?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 , http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/5#5 and http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/4#4

Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
By the end of October? This year? Oct 25, 2013

ghislandi wrote:

Hello
I'm from SDL.
We are working on readying a trial so we can launch this as soon as possible and to enable us to more quickly update the downloadable files. Our current mechanism does not enable us to quickly update the Studio file which means that you might need to download a patch or a hotfix once we launch them.
We are working on a new way to deliver the trial to enable us to quickly update the exe file so anyone downloading the trial always receive the most up to date file.
We are aiming to have a trial live by the end of October.
In order to improve the trial experience we are redeveloping some of the pages and delivery mechanisms.
We do care about all our customers and prospects and I am sorry you feel our page gives you a feeling of do not disturb message. It was certainly not our intention.
We wanted to make sure we collect the emails of anyone who requires the trial so we can notify them as soon as it is available.

Best regards
Massimo

Can you tell the date exactly? It's only one week until the end of October, so you will probably have 99% of the work done
Regards
WJ


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 , http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/5#5 and http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/4#4

Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2014 trial is available :) Nov 1, 2013

Studio 2014 trial is now available for download Problem resolved. Here is the link: http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/free-trial.html

I will install it on the machine, where I have active Studio 2011. Can I assume, that the trial will not interfere with the existing Studio 2011 installation? Or there is any special workflow to avoid problems when installing and thereafter when uninstalling (if not decided to buy)?

Thanks SDL
Regards
WJ


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
French to Polish
+ ...
Separate activation code Nov 1, 2013

Wladyslaw Janowski wrote:

Studio 2014 trial is now available for download Problem resolved. Here is the link: http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/free-trial.html

I will install it on the machine, where I have active Studio 2011. Can I assume, that the trial will not interfere with the existing Studio 2011 installation? Or there is any special workflow to avoid problems when installing and thereafter when uninstalling (if not decided to buy)?


According to the standard SDL docs related to the full version (I don't remember the source document, probably Release Notes), you must ask for a special activation code.
I suppose it's the same with the trial.

Nonetheless, I would deactivate S2011 first, I don't trust the testing procedures at SDL.
It's safe, the S2014 license permits also to run S2011.

The software itself should not interfere.
They learned the Multiterm hell lesson and no settings are shared.
Nonetheless, you may experience Java related problems in S2011, as usually with Java upgrade.

Cheers
GG


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Studio 2014 really so bad to not have a trial?

Advanced search







TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search