Thread poster: Filipa Plant dos Santos

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:45
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
Oct 17, 2013

Hi everyone

I have MT 2011 (not 2014 - haven't gone near that yet), and last night I updated to the new version of Java, as prompted by MultiTerm.

Next thing I knew, I could no longer access MT when working in Studio. I have Studio 2011, latest version.

OK! I thought I would just re-set the security settings, like the last time this happened, but that didn't seem to work.

Only then did I check the Proz boards, and see that there is a problem. I went to the KB article given on the last post about this.

I've followed the instructions on the KB (and some of the posts), and uninstalled the new Java (45).

The KB tells me to reinstall MT using the installer - but:
1. I don't seem to have the MT installer - can't find it anywhere.
2. These instructions from the KB refer to MT 2014 - will they work for me with 2011?

I'm not computer savvy and very stressed at the moment - I don't know what to do.

Rather than muck about and try different things (which I've already done!), I thought I'd just come here to the boards and hopeful get some help!

Heeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppp!

Direct link Reply with quote

jimshanks
Dutch to English
See 2 other threads for answers Oct 17, 2013

Hi Fliipa
there are two other threads on this which will give you all the answers you need:

MultiTerm 2004 broken after Java 7 Update 45 install, and

SDL MultiTerm/Studio 2014 add/edit terms not working after Java 7 Update 45 installation.

Hope this helps
Jim

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 19:45
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Confirming and a possible solution Oct 17, 2013

Filipa Plant dos Santos wrote:

Hi everyone

I have MT 2011 (not 2014 - haven't gone near that yet), and last night I updated to the new version of Java, as prompted by MultiTerm.

Next thing I knew, I could no longer access MT when working in Studio. I have Studio 2011, latest version.

OK! I thought I would just re-set the security settings, like the last time this happened, but that didn't seem to work.

Only then did I check the Proz boards, and see that there is a problem. I went to the KB article given on the last post about this.

I've followed the instructions on the KB (and some of the posts), and uninstalled the new Java (45).

The KB tells me to reinstall MT using the installer - but:
1. I don't seem to have the MT installer - can't find it anywhere.
2. These instructions from the KB refer to MT 2014 - will they work for me with 2011?

I'm not computer savvy and very stressed at the moment - I don't know what to do.

Rather than muck about and try different things (which I've already done!), I thought I'd just come here to the boards and hopeful get some help!

Heeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppp!

Hi Filipa,

MT seems incompatible to any Java version that is newer than version 25 (the one you installed must be 40 or 45).

You should:

A) Close Studio
B) Go to Start-Control Panel-Programs.
C) From there, search any Java installation, select it with the mouse and then click on UNINSTALL (top of page)
D) Once you are sure you have removed ALL JAVA installations from your PC, RESTART Studio.
E) Upon restart, open any project, and try to add a new term
F) Studio will show a notification asking you if you want to install JAVA X.X.X.25. Install that, close Studio again and then restart.
G) Upon Studio restart you should be able to use MT again.
H) If Studio still doesn't work. REBOOT THE PC and retry (Sometimes the whole thing needs reinitializing).

May i suggest you don't install a Java update till, maybe, SDL comes up with patch? It won't work in any case and you'll just waste a lot of time, as i did.

Regards

Enrico

[Edited at 2013-10-17 06:53 GMT]

Portugal
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Will give this a try Oct 17, 2013

as soon as the children are off to school and then will post here again.

Thank you Enrico!!!!!!

Portugal
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes it works! Oct 17, 2013

Thank you Enrico, for taking the trouble to help me out here!

I did what you said.

1. first I went to the control panel (via 'computer', then clicking on 'uninstall or change a program' at the top).

2. I could see Java there in the list, there was the new update (45 - which I had already managed to uninstall) plus two other versions.

I uninstalled these.

3. I went into Studio and then MultiTerm, and tried to add a term.

4. Up popped Java asking me to install it. I was a bit worried that it would automatically install the latest version, but no, it didn't. Something did flash up about the version being installed, I think it was a 6 version (?) ...... but I didn't catch it.

5. Everything now working.

This is exactly what you recommended, and it worked thank you!!!!

I'm so happy I can't tell you

bye for now and thanks again Enrico!

I love you all!

Portugal
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Enrico's reply suited me better! Oct 17, 2013

jimshanks wrote:

Hi Fliipa
there are two other threads on this which will give you all the answers you need:

MultiTerm 2004 broken after Java 7 Update 45 install, and

SDL MultiTerm/Studio 2014 add/edit terms not working after Java 7 Update 45 installation.

Hope this helps
Jim

Hi Jim - thank you!!

Yes, I saw those links last night and was following some instructions but just kept getting deeper and deeper into trouble. You may have noticed I am not very techy.

This simple solution posted by Enrico was what I needed!!

Thank you!!!

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:45
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Paul, any comments? Oct 17, 2013

Paul from SDL - if you watch this can you comment? - I think I remember you writing that your experience is that having the latest Java version and only that version should work. It would be great understanding this.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Managing Java updates Oct 17, 2013

Hi Kim,

Indeed, I have always said that I allow the Java updates, I don't have multiple versions running, and I have not experienced any problems. I now have to eat those words because clearly the Java 45 update has caused problems for everyone, myself included.

I do think this particular update from Oracle has been unusually large with some 127 security fixes, 51 of them for Java and it is unusually the first time Oracle have patched so many things at the same time in addition to breaking their quarterly release cycle for such things. The result being that we are devoting as many resources as possible to this problem and will be updating this article as we learn more : KB article 4956.

Once we have determined what is needed to resolve the issue in the short term we will release an update to the software. Longer term we are indeed looking at what can be done to reduce our reliance upon Java.

Regards

Paul

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 19:45
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
You welcome! Oct 17, 2013

Filipa Plant dos Santos wrote:

Thank you Enrico, for taking the trouble to help me out here!

I did what you said.

1. first I went to the control panel (via 'computer', then clicking on 'uninstall or change a program' at the top).

2. I could see Java there in the list, there was the new update (45 - which I had already managed to uninstall) plus two other versions.

I uninstalled these.

3. I went into Studio and then MultiTerm, and tried to add a term.

4. Up popped Java asking me to install it. I was a bit worried that it would automatically install the latest version, but no, it didn't. Something did flash up about the version being installed, I think it was a 6 version (?) ...... but I didn't catch it.

5. Everything now working.

This is exactly what you recommended, and it worked thank you!!!!

I'm so happy I can't tell you

bye for now and thanks again Enrico!

I love you all!

Just wanted to avoid you that sad mix of depression and rage that comes when Studio breaks right when you have a delivery (neither before or after); and wanted to avoid you manipulating things with uninstalls and reinstalls that wouldn't do anything in any since the bad module is Java. Lucky it worked. Now keep in mind that each time you have a Java issue you have to repeat the same procedure (using the last working Java version).
I'd copy/Paste my simple procedure and would put it in some .doc document where i can access at it whenever i need. These things are easy to forget once the problem is solved (My experience as well).

Regards

Enrico

Portugal
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly right! Oct 17, 2013

"Just wanted to avoid you that sad mix of depression and rage that comes when Studio breaks right when you have a delivery (neither before or after); and wanted to avoid you manipulating things with uninstalls and reinstalls that wouldn't do anything in any since the bad module is Java. "

That's me exactly - and I'm going to print this out and keep it in my 'special folder' for things I need to remember. It's true how we forget!

Oh I was feeling so sorry for myself last night!

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Managing Java updates Oct 17, 2013

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your reply, please to learn that you are on the case.

Best regards
Kim

Ingrid Stevens  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Alleluia, praise to Enrico! Oct 17, 2013

Thanks, you are a life saver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2011 stopped working after Java update

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search