MemoQ in Studio 2011 export problem
Thread poster: Jsmithtranslate
Jsmithtranslate
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:58
German to English
Oct 17, 2013

I have received a .mqxlz for translation, unzipped it (change file extension to .zip - I don't have MemoQ), and renamed the .mqxliff to .xlf and then imported it into Studio 2011.

Translation and saving it was fine, have changed it to signed-off (SDL website said that it can't save target as when status is translation approved - bug will be fixed in new version)

When trying to save target as the following error message came up:

"Could not find part of the path..." with reference to the source file in de-DE - even though it's still there (after renaming the folder)

+

"Could not find file..." with reference to a file in a temp folder which doesn't exist

I have renamed the folder after I had set up the project and thought this must be the reason that I can't save target as .xlf

Created a new folder, .xlf source in there, set up new project, copied target file from en-GB, still can't save target as - Studio is still looking for the path in the original folder

Any suggestions how to fix this (apart from sending sdlxliff for import into MemoQ / or TM export which worked)?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:58
German to Spanish
As far as I know Oct 17, 2013

You can not save a Target File if you have not the original one (no matter which CAT).
If you get a bilingual file (mqxlz), it is suppose to send back the same file but 100% done.





Regards


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:58
English
Studio is different... Oct 17, 2013

Fernando Toledo wrote:

You can not save a Target File if you have not the original one (no matter which CAT).
If you get a bilingual file (mqxlz), it is suppose to send back the same file but 100% done.

Regards


... in this regard because the SDLXLIFF can contain a binary representation of the original source file so that the target file can be recreated from the bilingual file alone.

Whether this takes place or not depends on how large the original source is and what setting you have allowed for the addition of this embedded source into the sdlxliff. So too low and the source file will be needed... too high and you have to weigh up the performance issues of dealing with massive SDLXLIFF files. The default is 20mB and you can find this setting in the filetype options for SDLXLIFF.

However, the OP also noted a temp folder so perhaps there is a problem related to this. Some software regularly clears the temp folders and if Studio used this for something then potentially it could break the ability to save the target.

A good test it to open the xliff as a single document, pretranslate it from your TM and immediately save it... maybe try this without pre-translating too... and this often resolves the issue.

If it doesn't, and if you are ok with this, please send me the mqxlz and I can arrange for the developer of this filetype to take a look at this.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Jsmithtranslate
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:58
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Oct 17, 2013

Hi Paul

Instead of starting with the mqxlz I have asked the client to export an xlf from memoQ (export bilingual -> save as .xlf)

I then imported it into Studio and pretranslated it against the TM from my project. It worked fine, except for a few segments that have been segmented differently.



The original source was quite big (10MB) so that might have caused the problem? It wasn't possible to accept all changes after an external review in Studio either because of the size of the file.

In addition to the size, I believe the temp folder has been deleted.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ in Studio 2011 export problem

Advanced search







PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search