Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 17, 2013

G'day everyone

In a CATguru video about Trados 2011, it is said that Trados' context matching takes into account only the one previous segment, and you can't customise that. Is that still the case for 2014?

Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Studio uses three matches.... Oct 17, 2013

... so the comparison is not entirely correct.

100% : Only the segment itself
CM : The segment and the preceding segment
PM : Complete blocks of segments

This is still the same in 2014.

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Oct 17, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
Studio uses three matches so the comparison is not entirely correct.

100% : Only the segment itself
CM : The segment and the preceding segment
PM : Complete blocks of segments

This is still the same in 2014.

Thanks for the answer. My question was about context matching, not 100% matching. Many clients don't pay for context matches, thinking that they don't need checking. Trados considers a match to be a context match if the preceding segment is the same. Other CAT tools take both preceding and following segment into consideration, and DVX2 allows the user to specify how many preceding and following segments should be considered.

I've never seen paragraph matches (presumably what PM means) in action.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
PM = Perfect Match Oct 17, 2013

They are all forms of 100% match... I just wanted to clarify because comparing what other tools do compared to CM only is technically not the same. You can find more on CM if you're interested here : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-jJ

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Oct 17, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
PM = Perfect Match. They are all forms of 100% match... I just wanted to clarify because comparing what other tools do compared to CM only is technically not the same.

I hear you -- you want to make sure the whole story is told.

The perfect match takes into account the whole structure of the file, i.e. it involves comparing the file against another file and not just comparing it against the TM. So perfect matches are only useful if you have an updated version of the file that was previously translated, is that right?

What Trados calls a "CM" may not technically be the same as that which other tools call "context" matches, but the fact that the name of that match in Trados is "context match" means that people will naturally compare it with other tools' matches that use the word "context" to describe it.

Samuel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much context in CM in 2014

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search