Where can I find more information on Trados Workbench?
Thread poster: ~Ania~

~Ania~  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:40
Polish to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2013

Hi folks,

I've been asked by a client to use Trados Workbench and I am stumped. I recently purchased Trados Studio 2011 and I have been using it quite happily, but apparently I cannot use Trados 2011 for this project, I need to use Trados Workbench.

There is no information on the SDL translationzone website on Trados Workbench. Is this an add-on or a separate standalone application, how much is it and how do I get it? Even better if I could get a trial version first.

Can anyone help me please?

Anna

Direct link Reply with quote

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:40
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
File format Oct 17, 2013

If they just want you deliver the translation as a bilingual file, then I believe there is a plug in for Trados 2014 that enables you to generate such files from sdlxliff files. I am not sure if it works in 2011.
You could consider upgrading to 2014, if you bought 2011 recently then the upgrade should be free.

United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - I will definitely try that Oct 17, 2013

Thanks, Mark. They want me to return unclean files and also to run and return an LTB report. I have never been asked for an LTB report before, is this something specific to Trados Workbench?

Thanks once again,

Anna

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:40
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
I used trados Workbench for years Oct 17, 2013

and nobody ever asked me for an LTB report!

What is the information that they require?

In Trados 2011 you can easily generate a TM for a project in tmx format if that would keep them happy?

United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I believe it's got to be LTB specifically Oct 17, 2013

It's for Lionbridge. I have never heard of an LTB report either. I believe it's specific to this company. I'm just looking on their website now to try to get more info, but I believe it may be a licensed product which means I'll probably have to pay for it (sigh).

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:40
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Unclean files Oct 17, 2013

Unfortunately, I don't think Workbench is available for purchase anymore. It was part of Trados (maybe you've heard of Trados 2007), and you could still get it with Studio 2009 but not anymore.

In any case, if the client wants an unclean file, Studio is unable to create such files on its own, but it can process them once they've been created elsewhere. See here:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2012/07/handling-bilingual-unclean-word-files.html

Mark is right that there is now an Open Exchange app to create unclean bilingual files without Workbench, it's called Legit and it only works if you have Studio 2014.

See here

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2013/10/quick-and-painless-conversion-to.html

United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 17, 2013

Thank you, Nora & Mark, that's really helpful

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 07:40
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
I have the TRADOS 2007 demo available (free, of course) Oct 18, 2013

It may be useful to you as long as you don't deal with TMs bigger than 100 TUs. I use mostly for segmenting and generating ttx and bilingual (doc, rtf) files.

Just send me a message if interested.

Saludos

United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brilliant :) Oct 20, 2013

Hi Jorge,

Thank you, that would be great!

I will contact you in a couple of days, if that's ok?

Anna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where can I find more information on Trados Workbench?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search