Trados 2014 Multiterm - can't enter new terms.
Thread poster: Simon Critchley

Simon Critchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:00
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2013

Hi everyone!

I am having problems entering new tems to the termbase. On trying to add terms, the white panel appears but the new term does not appear to be able to save it. I have the correct version of Java installed, at the request of Trados) but to no avail.

I would greatly appreciate any pointers anyone out there may have.

Yours gratefully

Simon Critchley

NOW WORKING WITH JAVA 6 UP. 14.
HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE ELSE WITH PROBLEMS.

REGARDS TO ALL
SIMON

[Edited at 2013-10-17 21:34 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:00
English
Already known.... Oct 17, 2013

Dear Simon

Here you can find the reason a bit described:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/257963-sdl_multiterm_studio_2014_add_edit_terms_not_working_after_java_7_update_45_installation.html

The following KB Article should give you the steps:
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4956&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Regards
Richard | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with our support? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base here: http://kb.sdl.com
Here you find solutions to known issues and many more....
If you want to keep up-2-date with the latest released articles you can also follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Richard___P

Gabrielle Parnes Garcia
Local time: 02:00
French to English
+ ...
I am having the same problem. Oct 18, 2013

This is a basic feature of Trados and it is so frustrating that it is not working and there is not appropriate support. Hopefully, there will be a solution to this too.

I'm also having a problem that, previously, when I WAS able to add terms, Spanish terms would be added as Latin, rather than Spanish, and wouldn't show up in the term window...

United Kingdom
English
Support Oct 18, 2013

Dear Gabrielle

I cannot see that there is no "appropriate" support here?

There are several other posts/threads regarding this issue here at Proz.

It was reported to development on the day of appearance, a KB article created and investigated to provide the easiest way to workaround the problem caused not by SDL.

The KB article in our Knowledge Base here http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4956&source=article&c=12&cid=23 is now pretty much in detail. Everyone should be able to follow the steps as it is written even for non-technical users.

This problem is NOT a SDL MultiTerm or SDL Trados Studio created problem. This problem needs to be blamed on Oracle and the Java tool for releasing a version that is not proper and includes bugs from not just our applications suffer but also a lot of other tool in the industry that rely on Java for some functions that need use certificates to provide security.

Kind regards
Richard Puschmann | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with our support? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base here: http://kb.sdl.com
Here you find solutions to known issues and many more....
If you want to keep up-2-date with the latest released articles you can also follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Richard___P

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
The problem IS (in part) an SDL-created problem Oct 18, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

This problem is NOT a SDL MultiTerm or SDL Trados Studio created problem. This problem needs to be blamed on Oracle and the Java tool for releasing a version that is not proper and includes bugs from not just our applications suffer but also a lot of other tool in the industry that rely on Java for some functions that need use certificates to provide security.

Dear Richard,

While I applaud SDL's timeliness in indicating a workaround in your KB article, saying that this is not an SDL-created problem is, I think, disingenuous.

Yes, the actual problem is caused by java, so it is Oracle's responsibility, BUT

• It is SDL who decided to use java - so it is SDL who is responsible for using Oracle's unreliable and/or defective technology.

• It is SDL who keeps on using java - despite previous instances of problems caused by java: as far as I can see you are fine-tuning your tools to a specific version of java (7.25 in this case), and then you cross your fingers and hope that the next version released by Oracle won't break your product.

• When (not if) such problems happen, you have little recourse but to recommend to uninstall the latest java version, and reinstall the previous one. This may bring back the MultiTerm functionality, but, presumably, at a cost: if the new version of Java has been released to solve newly-discovered vulnerabilities in the previous version, you are asking your customers to stay open to said vulnerabilities.

This, to put it mildly, is not a "best practice" (though you claim it as such in the KB article).

My questions:

1. Why does SDL keep on relying on Oracle's defective technology?
  2. What are you doing to permanently solve these recurring issues?

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:00
English to Spanish
In all fairness... Oct 18, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

It was reported to development on the day of appearance, a KB article created and investigated to provide the easiest way to workaround the problem caused not by SDL.

It is true. The problem has existed and been acknowledged by SDL for several years, since Studio 2009 was put out on the market. (The problem has survived three generations of Studio!)

Now, that SDL has not done anything in all these years (and probably will not do) to correct the problem, other than their KB articles to circumvent it, that is a different matter.

Caveat emptor!

[Edited at 2013-10-19 04:26 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
subjective or objective Oct 18, 2013

Hi Riccardo

I think if I would enter into your questions this would go on and on and on...as you have your standpoint and I have my perspective from the technical site.

I agree, SDL MultiTerm should go away from Java but until then it is as it is.

If you allow me to get bit emotional and could say, "Why do you have Java even installed, when any webbrowser works with Java to display webpages that might allow to access your PC?".

I would just like to enter into the "Best-practice" in the article that is writing out "Follow-up for Best-Practice to avoid the question to install Java 7 Update 45 again.".

This are just steps to avoid getting asked all the time to install the latest Update. I think if this option exists Oracle had an idea behind this by avoiding unwanted updates.

If you not agree to uninstall the Update 45 you can still use Workaround 2. Also an option that is available for free using.

SDL MultiTerm is not the only application suffering from this problem. Also other companies suffer drastically from this update and go back to the previous version and the priority is not security rather being able not to stop a productive system that stops people from working.

Kind regards
Richard

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Java and browsers Oct 19, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

If you allow me to get bit emotional and could say, "Why do you have Java even installed, when any webbrowser works with Java to display webpages that might allow to access your PC?".

I have, in fact, disabled Java from all the browsers I use regularly - precisely because it might allow access to my PC.

United Kingdom
English
A bit more information from SDL Product Management Oct 21, 2013

Hello,

This post from Daniel Brockmann, Director of Product Management, has been released into a few places and we wanted to share this with you here too.

Just to give a bit more background on this:

1. We did do work for SDL Trados Studio and MultiTerm 2014 to have a more robust integration of Java, following Oracle's advice of digitally signing components etc. so that you can use their new security concept.
  2. Apart from slowing down the terminology work especially the first time you edit (since the Java runtime slows down when it checks the digital signature), this did stabilise the integration, avoided security prompts, allowed users to work with High security setting etc. - so there were many benefits for all types of users (not least corporate users with tight security around Java). Also it meant that old problems (repeated prompts that would not go away, for instance) were gone.
  3. We tested this enhancement with our beta users (100+) before the release of 2014 – all was working as expected, and welcomed as a good robustness enhancement. That is, as long as users worked with the then current Java version – Java 7 update 25 and 40…
  4. … then Oracle had nothing else to do then to break their own implementation by introducing a breaking change and/or flawed change that does not work as advertised (research is still ongoing around this – we know of two other vendors suffering the same issues, more are expected to follow as this issue spreads). Basically the change means that even digitally signed components – as produced by us according to specs (!) - no longer work, and there is no workaround at the moment from what we can see. This does seem to point in Oracle's direction that a new update may be needed to fix this problem; there are some rumours around this in forums already.

So in summary – we did solve problems but then new ones were introduced by the new "update". This is another example that means we need to look for ways of replacing/refactoring this component as soon as we can. This will not happen overnight, but it's clear we need to do this.

Regards

Paul (on behalf of Daniel)
SDL

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014 Multiterm - can't enter new terms.

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search