Localization with Trados 2011
Thread poster: Tony Bennjamin

Tony Bennjamin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 02:28
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Oct 21, 2013

I had been trying to translate PO files with Trados 2011. But, somehow, after I had saved the target language my client can't open the file.

In this case, I had to re-translate the whole file with Virtaal.

Please help me to solve this Trados problem.

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Dude or @Boss Oct 21, 2013

dudeboss wrote:
I had been trying to translate PO files with Trados 2011. But, somehow, after I had saved the target language my client can't open the file. ... In this case, I had to re-translate the whole file with Virtaal.

1. If you open the Trados translated PO file in a text editor, e.g. Akelpad, does it look right?
2. Can you figure out whether the Trados translated PO file has a "BOM"? Akelpad will show you in the status bar, if you open the file.
3. Can Virtaal open the file that Trados produced? If not, what error message do you get (in Virtaal)?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Also... Oct 21, 2013

... what filetype are you using for the PO file?

Regards

Paul

Indonesia
Indonesian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The PO Error system with Virtaal Oct 21, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

1. If you open the Trados translated PO file in a text editor, e.g. Akelpad, does it look right?
2. Can you figure out whether the Trados translated PO file has a "BOM"? Akelpad will show you in the status bar, if you open the file.
3. Can Virtaal open the file that Trados produced? If not, what error message do you get (in Virtaal)?

If I try to re-open the file with Trados 2011, I can read it well, but it shows error when I try to open up with Virtaal. It is written as: "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Downloads\Ko Eka (Finished)\for_use_GNU_Health_health_ntd_chagas_id_ID.po:
Could not open file."

I only able to open up the unsaved PO file through Virtaal

The file contains nothing to translate.

Try opening a different file.

SDL Support
Also... 16:35

... what filetype are you using for the PO file?

Regards

Paul

I'm taking the file from Transifex.com. It is a GNU PO file. Before that, I use the PO extension offered by the SDL Trados. http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/filetypedefinitionforpo-471.html?c=45277#45277

Thanks

Tony

Oleg Karnaushenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 21:28
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
<tag /> Oct 21, 2013

Hi Tony,

I had similar issue with Trados 2009.
When saving translated files it replaced some <tag> </tag> pairs with <tag />,
So you may want to try searching for "/>" and replacing this tag back to paired ones.
Hope it helps

[Відредаговано 2013-10-21 10:46 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I think I got it Oct 21, 2013

dudeboss wrote:
If I try to re-open the file with Trados 2011, I can read it well, but it shows error when I try to open up with Virtaal. It is written as:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Downloads\Ko Eka (Finished)\for_use_GNU_Health_health_ntd_chagas_id_ID.po:
Could not open file.
The file contains nothing to translate.
Try opening a different file.

One of the reasons why Virtaal gives that error message when one tries to open a PO file, is that the PO file is encoded in UTF8 *with* a byte-order-mark (BOM). Many programs that deal with PO files require the PO file to be encoded *without* the BOM, but many programs that run on Microsoft Windows will add the BOM when they save it. If this is the problem, then it means that your client's program requires the PO file to be encoded without the BOM, and Trados produces a PO file with a BOM. To solve this, download and install Akelpad, open the PO file (that you translated in Trados) in it, then press Shift+Ctrl+S (which means "Save as") and deselect the option "BOM" when you save it.

I wanted to test this with Trados, but I don't have the PO extension, and I can't download it unless I log in, and I can't log in unless I reset my password, and I can't reset my password even though I tried to do it in four different browsers (it keeps telling me "this field is mandatory" over and over).

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Unpaired tags and PO Oct 21, 2013

Oleg Karnaushenko wrote:
When saving translated files it replaced some pairs with . So you may want to try searching for "/>" and replacing this tag back to paired ones.

I don't think the pairing or unpairing of XML tags has any effect on whether Virtaal will accept or not accept a PO file. PO files are not XML files, but may contain XML in the segments themselves.

Indonesia
Indonesian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 21, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

One of the reasons why Virtaal gives that error message when one tries to open a PO file, is that the PO file is encoded in UTF8 *with* a byte-order-mark (BOM). Many programs that deal with PO files require the PO file to be encoded *without* the BOM, but many programs that run on Microsoft Windows will add the BOM when they save it. If this is the problem, then it means that your client's program requires the PO file to be encoded without the BOM, and Trados produces a PO file with a BOM. To solve this, download and install Akelpad, open the PO file (that you translated in Trados) in it, then press Shift+Ctrl+S (which means "Save as") and deselect the option "BOM" when you save it.

Thank you for the Help Mr. Murray, it works well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization with Trados 2011

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search