Dongle problem
Thread poster: otterstein

otterstein
Local time: 21:08
Italian to German
+ ...
Oct 20, 2004

This is the second time I have a dongle problem. I have contacted Trados, but maybe you know the problem. I have worked with Translator´s Workbench (Trados Freelance 5.5, build no. 244), closed it, wanted to reopen but message came: File is to large for Demo mode connect dongle. I never touched the dongle, it is connected. What now? I am really put off by Trados since this is the second time in one year I experienced a dongle error, and Trados could not help the last time. I bought a new computer and somehow it worked than, but I suspect the dongles interfere/destroy the paralell ports of the computers and I am not expert enough to interfere with my BIOS (on a laptop anyway). I have no printer (never had) connected to my laptop.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Reinstall Oct 20, 2004

Hi there -

Parallel dongles do that sometimes, they just uninstall themselves for no apparent reason. In the time you took to write this post, you could have reinstalled Trados and the dongle.

Best,
Esther

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:08
English to German
+ ...
Just the dongle driver Oct 20, 2004

Hi Esther,
I agree in principle, but...
Parallel dongles do that sometimes, they just uninstall themselves for no apparent reason. In the time you took to write this post, you could have reinstalled Trados and the dongle.

...reinstalling the dongle driver (probably getting an updated one first - see this KB article) should do.

You might also want to test whether the dongle itself is defective: there's a test program called Harvester, which you can download from TranslationZone.

HTH, Ralf

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
check the BIOS setting! Oct 20, 2004

S. Otterstein wrote:

I suspect the dongles interfere/destroy the paralell ports of the computers and I am not expert enough to interfere with my BIOS (on a laptop anyway).

Hi Sybille,

if I understood you correctly, you work with a laptop. Has Trados actually ever worked correctly on your laptop? If it hasn\'t, it might well be possible that the laptop\'s parallel port is disabled in the BIOS and that you need to change this setting. - I had exactly the same problem when I bought a laptop a few months ago. The parallel port seemed to work fine, I could connect a printer and print but it just wouldn\'t recognize my Trados dongle no matter what I did, it took me quite some time to find out that the port was disabled in the BIOS

You might also want to check the following web page:
http://support.trados.com/faq.asp#608, topic 5.

HTH
Claudia

otterstein
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Laptop is not the problem, dongle is. Oct 20, 2004

Claudia Digel wrote:

S. Otterstein wrote:

I suspect the dongles interfere/destroy the paralell ports of the computers and I am not expert enough to interfere with my BIOS (on a laptop anyway).

Hi Sybille,

if I understood you correctly, you work with a laptop. Has Trados actually ever worked correctly on your laptop? If it hasn\\\'t, it might well be possible that the laptop\\\'s parallel port is disabled in the BIOS and that you need to change this setting. - I had exactly the same problem when I bought a laptop a few months ago. The parallel port seemed to work fine, I could connect a printer and print but it just wouldn\\\'t recognize my Trados dongle no matter what I did, it took me quite some time to find out that the port was disabled in the BIOS

You might also want to check the following web page:
http://support.trados.com/faq.asp#608, topic 5.

HTH
Claudia

It worked since December 2003, when I bought the laptop. It stopped working on the desktop computer, when I tried all of the proposed things above (Harvester, reinstallation, etc.). Nothing worked that time until I bought a laptop. But now it stopped on the laptop, too.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Did you test the dongle? Oct 20, 2004

Hi again,

It worked since December 2003, when I bought the laptop. It stopped working on the desktop computer, when I tried all of the proposed things above (Harvester, reinstallation, etc.). Nothing worked that time until I bought a laptop. But now it stopped on the laptop, too.

What was the result of the Harvester test?
Could you re-run it and send me the results via my profile?

Thanks, Ralf

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:08
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Standby mode and dongle problems Oct 20, 2004

I have the "Demo mode" problem occasionally and intermittently, and it seems to be connected with Standby Mode on my desktop PC. Do you put your laptop in any sort fo standby or sleep mode? I found the answer was to close and reload Workbench.

Marc Adler
Japanese to English
softkey instead of dongle? Oct 21, 2004

I heard that Trados now offers softkeys (like serial numbers, but specific to a single installation of an application, I believe) instead of dongles.

Is this the case?

Marc

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Correct Oct 21, 2004

Hi Marc,
I heard that Trados now offers softkeys (like serial numbers, but specific to a single installation of an application, I believe) instead of dongles.

Is this the case?

Yes, that's correct - details are provided on TranslationZone.

HTH, Ralf

otterstein
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Softkey Oct 21, 2004

Hi,

I tried to go to the link on TranslationZone, to no avail. I only get to their default Homepage and their is no search function and no hint as to where to find "softkeys". Meanwhile I know that my parallel port is fine and working but the dongle is not. I do not dare a re-installation, since, last time, in December 2003 nothing worked any more, not until I bought a new computer, which, frankly I cannot afford every time Trados dongles fail.

Bye, S. Otterstein
PS: Now I found the Softkey unter products, but that seems to be available only to users of 6.5.5. I did not update, since there wasn´t much in for me. Anyway it seems to be a way to make more money instead of solving the dongle situation. I will try the Harvester.exe (although that did not help much last time, my program had lost its license mysteriously, and I got a new one, but the program never worked again on my desktop PC).

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Let's get the facts, please Oct 21, 2004

Hi again,
Meanwhile I know that my parallel port is fine and working but the dongle is not.

How did you test both?

I do not dare a re-installation, since, last time, in December 2003 nothing worked any more, not until I bought a new computer, which, frankly I cannot afford every time Trados dongles fail.

I have installed Trados software on numerous systems and under various operating systems (Win NT4.0, Win2k, WinXP), and never experienced total systems failure (if that is what you describe). Can you please indicate which operating system you're using?

PS: Now I found the Softkey unter products, but that seems to be available only to users of 6.5.5.

That is correct.

I did not update, since there wasn´t much in for me. Anyway it seems to be a way to make more money instead of solving the dongle situation.

Can you please expand on that?

I will try the Harvester.exe (although that did not help much last time, my program had lost its license mysteriously, and I got a new one, but the program never worked again on my desktop PC).

I offered to take a look at your analysis data a few days ago - so far you haven't taken me up on that offer...

Best regards, Ralf

otterstein
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your offer to help Oct 25, 2004

I am sorry, I could not reply sooner. Internet did not work for some time and then I did not receive the Harvester.exe and the problem is that I need to copy it on CD-ROM from my Desktop PC in order to check the dongle, which is on my laptop together with the Trados program but has not internet working right now. I´ll send you the results as soon as I can. Thanks for your help and for the comments by all the other Proz-members so far.

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,
Meanwhile I know that my parallel port is fine and working but the dongle is not.

How did you test both? I tested the parallel port by connecting something else than the dongle and in BIOS it says that the parallel port is fine and working. I do not know yet about the Dongle.

I do not dare a re-installation, since, last time, in December 2003 nothing worked any more, not until I bought a new computer, which, frankly I cannot afford every time Trados dongles fail.

I have installed Trados software on numerous systems and under various operating systems (Win NT4.0, Win2k, WinXP), and never experienced total systems failure (if that is what you describe). Can you please indicate which operating system you're using? Operating system currently is Windows XP and the complete program failure last year happened with Window ME.

PS: Now I found the Softkey unter products, but that seems to be available only to users of 6.5.5.

That is correct.

I did not update, since there wasn´t much in for me. Anyway it seems to be a way to make more money instead of solving the dongle situation.

Can you please expand on that? I mean by that, that when Trados cannot resolve the problem they try selling more gimmicks instead of actually offering real help. They could have offered me a dongle replacement or exchange, I thought. And it took them a month not to find the error. What is a translator supposed to do in that situation, close shop? That is what i mean.

I will try the Harvester.exe (although that did not help much last time, my program had lost its license mysteriously, and I got a new one, but the program never worked again on my desktop PC).

I offered to take a look at your analysis data a few days ago - so far you haven't taken me up on that offer...

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dongle problem

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search