SDL 2014 - Can I use old 2011 Apps?
Thread poster: Gabrielle Parnes Garcia

Gabrielle Parnes Garcia
Local time: 06:06
French to English
+ ...
Oct 21, 2013

Hi, Again,

Just a quick question. I have just updated to SDL 2014. There are many interesting-looking apps on the Trados AppStore, but I was wondering if all of the old applications will also work in Trados 2014?

If not, when is Trados planning to upgrade all of these apps so that we can use them in 2014?

If they are not upgraded, that is one less incentive to purchase the upgrade, because it limits functionality as compared with sticking with 2011.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:06
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Yes you can Oct 21, 2013

In a word, yes.

Studio apps fall into two categories: those that work inside Studio (e.g. MyMemory TM) and those that work independently (e.g. Package Reader). Most should have no compatibility issues between 2011 and 2014 . I haven't come across any that aren't compatible yet, but I dare say there will be a few that have to be updated by their developers first. Some have already been updated for 2014 (e.g. SDLXLIFF converter) and will automatically appear in the Welcome View.

To transfer the plug-ins (i.e. apps that work inside Studio) from 2011 to 2014, most will simply work by closing Studio and then copying the plug-in from here:
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10\Plugins\Packages
to here:
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\11\Plugins\Packages

In the case of standalone apps (e.g. TM Convert), you can install them in the Welcome view Open Exchange list inside Studio by downloading Menu Maker from the Open Exchange itself. It's great for customising the Welcome view by adding OpenExchange apps and direct access to other programs too.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Tweet on Menu Maker Oct 21, 2013

In case you're interested, I tweeted about Menu Maker just a couple of days ago, linking to a picture of my new Welcome view:

Gabrielle Parnes Garcia
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 21, 2013

Thanks for your quick reply. I am actually using SDL 2014 on a new machine, and done have 2011 installed, so I will just download the apps and hope they work... I will let you know... I never actually used apps in 2011, but am excited to try them - there are some very interesting looking ones!

Gabrielle Parnes Garcia
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Emma, your website is an amazing resource. Oct 22, 2013

Thank you!

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Blog post on updating 2011 apps Oct 23, 2013

Thanks, Gabrielle.
Inspired by this thread, I've just published a How To on transferring 2011 apps to Studio 2014:

http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/23/transfer-apps/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL 2014 - Can I use old 2011 Apps?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search