difference between project TM and main TM
Thread poster: PanjiS
PanjiS
France
Oct 21, 2013

Hello,
I am new to Trados 2011 Professional Edition. In the past we used Trados 2007.
I'm in the process of understanding the differences of workflows between usage of project TMs and main TM only...
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already in this forum.
I made a search on the internet already and can tell there are pros and cons for the different wokflows. Does someone have some sort of summary available regarding that matter ?
We are a couple of occasional in-house translators working with a couple of free-lance translators. In-house translators have to create the package for free-lancers.
I read that project TMs would be handier to use when sub-contracting work to freelancers but in Studio there were known bugs apparently (regarding concordance search, extraction of relevant main TM segments). I don't know if this has been solved with Trados 2011 (or 2014).
Would it make sense to send the free-lance translators a package with creation of a project-specific TM and make available our main TM as a reference only?
Thanks for any feedback you would have on those matters,
Regards,
Panji

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

difference between project TM and main TM

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search