*.xml.ZAP file - How to handle it? (TagEditor)
Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 21, 2004

I received two *.xml.zap files to be handled in TagEditor and don't know how can I work with it.
When a received a sample text, it was a simple xml file I could open and try to translate in TagEditor.
As for this file: when I simply save it from an e-mail attachment into the project folder it becomes *.xml file, but TagEditor says "TagEditor is unable to open this doc because the file type is not recognised".
As there are two such files, as for another one: it opens with TagEdi
... See more
I received two *.xml.zap files to be handled in TagEditor and don't know how can I work with it.
When a received a sample text, it was a simple xml file I could open and try to translate in TagEditor.
As for this file: when I simply save it from an e-mail attachment into the project folder it becomes *.xml file, but TagEditor says "TagEditor is unable to open this doc because the file type is not recognised".
As there are two such files, as for another one: it opens with TagEditor but only to display about 20 unreadable charachters...

Could anyone tell me how these files should be handled?

Thanks in advance,
Natalya
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
DTD/XML schema Oct 21, 2004

Hi Natalya,
Given the very nature of XML (which allows the author to customise tags), TagEditor requires a specific .ini file to be able to distinguish tags from translatable text.

Did your customer provide you with a DTD file or XML schema (two alternatives to describe the tag structure of an XML file), based on which you can create the .ini file required by TagEditor?
... See more
Hi Natalya,
Given the very nature of XML (which allows the author to customise tags), TagEditor requires a specific .ini file to be able to distinguish tags from translatable text.

Did your customer provide you with a DTD file or XML schema (two alternatives to describe the tag structure of an XML file), based on which you can create the .ini file required by TagEditor?

This KB article might be of help.

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Astrid C
Astrid C  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 11:56
English to Romanian
+ ...
Zap extension Oct 21, 2004

Hi

One of my cleints asks me to send them the translated files as "winzip" archive (extension = .zip) but as their email systrem is blocking zip files due to viruses, I have to change the extensiopn to zap before sending.

try to make a copy of the files and try to open the copy with Winzip. Maybe it works?

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 21, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

This KB article might be of help.

Best regards,
Ralf

Thanks for your advice. I'm trying now to download and use these software (described on the trados support page)...
When I did a short test translation for this project they send me ttx file, which I could choose for DTD settings, and I translated the test easily, but now when I choose the same file for these new translations, everything happens exactly the same way I describe it in my first posting.

I am not good at all this, so could you tell me,can I still ask them for this DTD file (or should I create it myself)? Is it ok for me to ask them for additional files? Or I have everything required?

[Edited at 2004-10-21 09:06]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Handling ML file formats Oct 21, 2004

Hi again,
Generally speaking, understanding the characteristics and mechanics of markup-language file formats (HTML/XML/SGML etc.) is essential for handling these files properly.

Unfortunately, you did not indicate your Trados version - check the information given in the File Formats Reference Guide, which is included with the installation (with T6.5.x, IIRC). For earlier versions, you can download it from TranslationZone.

Thanks for your advice. I'm trying now to download and use these software (described on the trados support page)...
When I did a short test translation for this project they send me ttx file, which I could choose for DTD settings

Hang on - you cannot use a TTX file as a DTD/.ini ("DTD" means document type description - IOW the DTD provides the "map" for TagEditor to find tags in the TTX. Was that test file also XML-based, or was this based on an HTML file (in which case TagEditor would use the generic HTML .ini)?

I am not good at all this, so could you tell me,can I still ask them for this DTD file (or should I create it myself)? Is it ok for me to ask them for additional files? Or I have everything required?

Impossible to say without knowing the details. Generally, a DTD file (or XML schema) should always be provided for the translation of XML files.

HTH, Ralf

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:56
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wrong file format Oct 21, 2004

You probably cannot open the file in TagEditor (readable text), because it has the wrong file format.

Astrid may be right and you may be able to change the file name to xxx.xml.zip and then try to unzip the file by double-clicking on it.

However, my advice would be to contact your client and ask them about this ZAP extension. They should be able to send you regular xml files or explain to you how you should handle this ZAP file. It is not a standard file format for tra
... See more
You probably cannot open the file in TagEditor (readable text), because it has the wrong file format.

Astrid may be right and you may be able to change the file name to xxx.xml.zip and then try to unzip the file by double-clicking on it.

However, my advice would be to contact your client and ask them about this ZAP extension. They should be able to send you regular xml files or explain to you how you should handle this ZAP file. It is not a standard file format for translation files.

Good luck!
Marianne

[Edited at 2004-10-21 09:27]

[Edited at 2004-10-21 09:28]
Collapse

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The solution was really too obvious :)) Oct 21, 2004

Astrid Costea wrote:

Hi

One of my cleints asks me to send them the translated files as "winzip" archive (extension = .zip) but as their email systrem is blocking zip files due to viruses, I have to change the extensiopn to zap before sending.

try to make a copy of the files and try to open the copy with Winzip. Maybe it works?

My first thought was to try to change it to zip But then I put it away for two days for another urgent project ... After I found that zap-files really exist, I began to think that client really meant something sending me this ZAP...

Sorry for making great commotion about nothing: it's ordinary ZIP)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

*.xml.ZAP file - How to handle it? (TagEditor)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »