Thread poster: angelabenoit

angelabenoit  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:55
English to French
+ ...
Oct 26, 2013

Hello,

I am trying to translate ".XLF" files provided by the client in Studio 2014. The tags are not locked, Studio sees them as plain text:

The First Product

Only "The First Product" should be translateable, but everything pasted above is editable in the Editor view.

How can I set up the project so that only the translatable text is accessible, and the tags are protected/locked?

Thank you,
Angela

[Edited at 2013-10-26 17:15 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

angelabenoit  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:55
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The code I pasted didn't work... Oct 26, 2013

In the blank space, I had pasted some of the code that Studio rendered accessible but the forum thinks I'm using invalid HTML tags and didn't render it.

Here is a screenshot:
http://imgur.com/FoUgbnx

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:55
English
It doesn't sound to me... Oct 27, 2013

... that these files are being recognised as XLIFF at all. Perhaps if you open the file and either look at the filetype being used in the navigation window on the left, or by changing to TagID mode and seeing what it says in the orange tab at the top of the file when it's open in the Editor, then you'll be able to see if it's really the XLIFF filter being used for the file.

If you can share it I'd be happy to take a look in Studio 2014 and see what the problem might be?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

garry_ndas
India
I have the Same Problem... May 10, 2014

I have a similar file. Though I managed to extract the Target segments for translation with the Parser Settings, there are a lot of tags that are still exported in the xliff file (SDL Trados Studio 2014) as plain text.

Example below:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<li>exclusively caused by an insured physical damage event (according to the policy) and/or</li>
<li>causing an insured physical damage event with the exception of intended causation by Public Authority&rsquo;s arbitrariness.</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li style="text-align: justify;">Crime, fidelity guarantees, employee dishonesty.</li>
</ul>

<p style="text-align: justify;"><i>*These exclusions contain two different matters first exclusion of all properties and installations being part of the nuclear fuel cycle and exclusion of loss or damage directly or indirectly caused by nuclear reaction, nuclear radiation or radioactive contamination. The peril exclusion does not apply to loss or damage, in particular due to contamination, to insured property that is the consequence of an insured peril (e.g. fire, EQ) by radioactive isotopes, other than nuclear fuel or nuclear waste, when such isotopes are being prepared, used or stored for commercial, agriculture, medical, scientific or other similar purposes on the insured premises.</i></p>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also the segments do not break at "Full Stop" as it should, because of the existence of these tags. So there is an entire paragraphs with a lot of tags in a single segment, making it more difficult to read.

I look forward to your help.

Thank you!
Garry

Hans Näslund
Sweden
Local time: 07:55
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
+ ...
The XLF is really an HTML file Jul 16, 2014

The last week I have been struggling with a similar file, a SDLXLIFF where all tags are shown as text. It turned out that the file, like yours, in reality was an HTML file, so I requested the original XLF from my customer, opened it as text and saved it as an HTML file. After that, Studio 2014 showed only the translatable text, and it was easy to translate it.
However, it turned out that Studio 2014 was unable to save the translation as target, but after some searching in the Internet I found out that Studio 2011 handles HTML files better. So after running the HTML in Studio 2011 I managed to get an HTML file, which I could then copy and paste into the SDLXLIFF which I was asked to translate.

See more here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/268762-studio_2014_problem_with_html_files.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with ".xlf" files in Studio 2014

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search