Thread poster: Silvia Calderón

Silvia Calderón  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 27, 2013

Hi.
I'm trying to keep calm but I'm facing a disaster here.
My deadline is firt time tomorrow, my computer has crashed, there is no way to use my Studio 2009, and all I've got is the sdlxliff documents.
Does anybody know if I can open this documents with SDL Trados 2007 or any other way?
I don't think I will be able to meet the deadline if I can't recover what I have already translated.
Thanks.
Silvia

Direct link Reply with quote

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:42
Member (2012)
German to English
try this app: SDLXLIFF to Legacy converter Oct 27, 2013

to see how it works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QyhwvDDGz0
To get it:

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdlxlifftolegacyconverter-194.html?c=32067#32067

I use it to convert my 2011 files for use with Tag editor or you can convert your files into tmx and import that into your other application

good luck!
Heather

Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
recovery sofware Oct 27, 2013

I have had a similar misfortune.
You can find free sofware to download and recover your files.

I have managed to restart Windows when others think it's all lost. I might be able to help you if I could sit at your computer.
Do you have any computer savvy person to ask for help??
¡La mejor de las suertes!

[Edited at 2013-10-27 21:43 GMT]

Silvia Calderón  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your help. Oct 28, 2013

I can't believe I was able to finish this assignment on time.... and I still have a-couple-of-hour sleep.
Lucky me!!!
Thanks again.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
On recovery software Oct 28, 2013

Javier Wasserzug wrote:

I have had a similar misfortune.
You can find free sofware to download and recover your files.

Now that Silvia has finished her job, thank goodness, a couple of thoughts on recovery software.

Javier Wasserzug wrote:
I have managed to restart Windows when others think it's all lost. I might be able to help you if I could sit at your computer.
Do you have any computer savvy person to ask for help??
¡La mejor de las suertes!

Some troubleshooting is required to find the right solution.

Unfortunately, I've seen too many (self-claimed?) computer savvy people who can fix any problem by reformatting the hard disk and reinstalling everything. They love this solution because it it's fail-proof unless there is hardware trouble and, as they usually get paid by the hour, it takes a whale of time to reinstall everything.

I see three major potential sources of trouble here.

1. Trados problem
Perhaps some glitch in Trados caused a poorly organized file. In this case, only Trados itself would have the solution, in case there is one.

2. File accidentally deleted or marked as such
In this case, the file recovery software should help. One such free solution is Pandora Recovery, though there are many others.

3. Hard disk trouble
Javier's report on being able to start Windows when it seems to be lost reminded me of SpinRite. I first found it in the old PC-XT days, when a 40 MB (sic!) hard drive cost $400. Ever since, it has made all my hard drives "eternal". The video on that site is self-explanatory. Not free, but only US$90.

Of course there are more possibilities, however these are the most frequent ones.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

computer crash - cannot open sdlxliff documents

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search